Cheapest way to get from Lyon Airport to Grenoble

sampras38
sampras38 Posts: 1,917
edited June 2010 in Tour & expedition
I'm going to out to France in 10 days to do some riding on Alp Duez and Galibier, and will be flying from UK to Lyon, then to Grenoble and finally Bourg. They'll be 2 of us, both with a case and bike box each.

What's the cheapest way to get from Lyon to Grenoble?

Last year I went out to do the Joux Plane and Colombiere and travelled alone. The SAT buses weren't going from Geneva airport that day (it was Tour Time) and so I had to use a cab and got well and truely stung.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• risi
    risi Posts: 231
    Train any good? There's a station at the airport and direct connections to Grenoble.
    Had a quick look on http://www.tgv-europe.com/en/train-tick ... body_Train and you're probably looking at around €17.50 one way each. (you want LYON SAINT EXUPERY AIRPORT - TGV STATION (FR) as your starting station).1st class is only about €22.
    Don't know about getting your luggage on there, but http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/france-t ... tm#baggage would seem to suggest that you'd be ok.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • sampras38
    I hadn't really looked into the train tbh but I will now.

Many thanks for the info.
  • sampras38
    Looks like the train will be the best bet so thanks for the tip.

:wink:
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    No problem. Enjoy the trip!
    I'd say I was jealous, but I'll be off to climb the Ventoux & some cols in the Alps in August so I'll be getting my fix soon enough.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • sampras38
    risi wrote:
    No problem. Enjoy the trip!
    I'd say I was jealous, but I'll be off to climb the Ventoux & some cols in the Alps in August so I'll be getting my fix soon enough.

I'll try,,cheers.

It's only my 2nd time in the Alps as last year I stayed in Samoens which is at the foot of the Joux Plane and also not far from the Colombiere. We climbed Joux Plane twice, also Avoriaz on the other side and then off to do the Colombiere where we watched the tour come through at the summit. It was my first time seeing the Tour up close on anything other than a Prologue and it was amazing. What struck me was how fast they came over the summit, even though they'd been riding all day. Armstrong and Co went past me about a foot away.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    The TGV journey's great. The last time I did that journey though I found it basically impossible to tell which train I was getting; I seem to recall the TGV and the "normal" trains going from exactly the same platforms. That was at about 6am though after a particularly terrible night.

I did the bus journey the other way, and it was significantly less pleasant.

Nothing to do with cycling, I did it for work about 4 years ago.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • sampras38
    davis wrote:
    The TGV journey's great. The last time I did that journey though I found it basically impossible to tell which train I was getting; I seem to recall the TGV and the "normal" trains going from exactly the same platforms. That was at about 6am though after a particularly terrible night.

I did the bus journey the other way, and it was significantly less pleasant.

Nothing to do with cycling, I did it for work about 4 years ago.

Slight update as we've now hired a motor, so no need for trains or buses. Thanks for all the help though all, much appreciated. Straight drive through from Lyon Airport to Bourg.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    make sure it's a big car to fit the bikeboxes
  • sampras38
    morrisje wrote:
    make sure it's a big car to fit the bikeboxes

It was and we had plenty of room for both bikes and cases...and all went well. Got back today and it was a fantastic trip. Fantastic weather ((30-33 every day), which was sometimes a bit hot for the long climbs. Awesome and I'll definately be going back.