Creaking Bottom Bracket

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited June 2010 in The workshop
Rode the weekend bike this morning, for the first time in a while, and the BB is making creaking noises.

Going to take it apart this weekend and see if it improves, but if not I may have to replace it. It's a 6600 Ultegra SL, as is the rest of the drive train. Anyone know what BBs are compatible as this is an opportunity for a little upgrade?

I'm thinking 7900 / 7800 Dura Ace, 6700 Ultegra, SRAM offerings, but I have no idea for sure.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• ricardo666
    ricardo666 Posts: 132
    My bottom bracket creaks on my hardtail

I took it to pieces and cleaned it all up, and there appears to be a flat-spot on one of the bearings. this is when i'm rotating the bearings in my hand. So might just be a case of getting a new set of bearings for your bb.
    If you fall off try again !

Trek EX8
    Handsome Dog XC01 with added ebay specials
  • Gedoxski
    Gedoxski Posts: 13
    Go for a Hope ceramic/stainless BB as they have ceramic balls on the drive side and stainless on the other,increasing the longevity of the BB.
    I have had shimano in the past,but have found they just don last,especially through the winter....
    The Hope just keeps on turning :D
    A road twice travelled is never as long.

Turner Flux
    Cannondale F800
    Giant TCR
    Ribble Ultegra
  • asprilla
    That's a big price jump for the Hopes though!

This bike is really just for races and will probably see less that 1000 miles a year.

(The person I bought it from has a much bigger budget than me and was using it for training, putting many miles on it, which has probably led to the creaking).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • jimmcdonnell
    jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
    Bet it's not the BB.

Take out the front & rear skewers, clean them and the wheel dropouts, thoroughly grease and reinstall.

Creak will likely be gone.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • asprilla
    If it's the skewers then the virtual pint is on me.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • jimmcdonnell
    jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
    Well there are other options - does the noise only happen when standing on the pedals? It could be bars/stem, pedals, seat clamp, seat rails and even chainring bolts; but (speaking as someone who just dismantled and re-installed (and replaced) my BB 3 times to cure an obsessively irritating creak) I've been chagrined to find it was wheel skewers...

Of course I'm talking from a road bike point of view. If it's a suspension bike then that's a different proposition entirely.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • asprilla
    Virtual pint for you Mr Mcdonnell!

Cleaned and greased the skewers at the weekend and this morning the creaking was gone. Excellent stuff!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3