High5 at Dragon Ride

High5
High5 Posts: 2
For all those who took part in the Dragon ride at the weekend, please accept our apologies that there were limited quantities of on-course energy drink. High5 is a UK company owned and run by experienced endurance athletes and we understand how important nutrition is to an event of this type. We support more than 130 events each year and take pride in the fact that over the last 5 years we have never failed to delivery exceptional service to all of the events where we provide nutritional support. In this instance, there was a mistake in our logistics – the boxes were miss-labelled and we sent out thousands of individual serving sachets instead of large size packs. This was entirely the responsibility of High5 and it would not have been noticed by the event organizer until the last minute when the boxes were unpacked on the day.

Once again please accept our apologies and be assured that we have now rectified this problem.

Regards

Mick Atkinson
(Director – High5)

Comments

• wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    At least you have the grace to apologise, fair play. However the the fact the product was in sachet form was not really the issue, it was more that there was none at the first feed station and too little at the next feed. This is an issue for the organisers and not yourselves however if you would like to compensate me by supplying some free powder it will be gratefully recieved! :D
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Fair play, but to be honest it didn't bother me that there were sachets. In fact I preferred it because you didn't get the usual watered down version normally supplied. Most Sportives I've done have watered down drinks.

And the Dragon organisers can't really be blaimed for the greedy gits that took handfuls of sachets instead of one. I saw a few guys doing that,,
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Fair play for holding your hands up and apologising, although as Sampras says, it might have been less of an issue if greedy sods hadn't filled their boots at the first stop.

The upside is, I know how far I can go on just water now! :D
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    No worries. I had mixed my own drinks too strong anyway, so by Cray feedstation I was dying for fresh plain water!
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    yeah i believe it was more down to people who fancyed taking 2 for their bottles and 5 to take home with them which caused the shortages. if only these people could be shot...
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Retch
    Retch Posts: 78
    I didn't have any problems getting what I needed - but I tend to take a sachet or 2 in my pocket anyway.

Good effort making a public apology mind :D
    FCN 5ish. Unless hungover.
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    Amusing that this is STILL as issue at the Dragon Ride. I did that ride in its first couple of years ... 2006 and 2007 I think ... both years there was ... you guessed it ... energy drink barely distinguishable from water. Got a feeling it was High5 in one year actually. High5 - have you supplied the DR before?

Why can't sportif organisers just stop pinching pennies and make drinks up properly?

Charge people another £1 entry if you have to FFS.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    High5 made a mistake. They apologised. Lets's get over it.

I'll be back next year and if they have premixed high5 in sufficient quantity and at an appropriate strength then all will be forgiven.
    Rich
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I always bring my own drink and food, no matter how big the sportive and anything I pick at the stations is a bonus. I appreciate not everyone has that view but at least that way I'm never disappointed. And I don't mind paying the fee as I enjoy the event too much.
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    RichA wrote:
    High5 made a mistake. They apologised. Lets's get over it.

I'll be back next year and if they have premixed high5 in sufficient quantity and at an appropriate strength then all will be forgiven.

@RichA - in this instance I applaud High5 for apologising. My point is that it's happened before at the Dragon Ride (can't recall if it was High5 involved then to be honest - the drink was too diluted to identify the brand) ... and happens at lots of sportifs. It's a poor way to treat athletes.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    sampras38 wrote:
    I always bring my own drink and food, no matter how big the sportive and anything I pick at the stations is a bonus. I appreciate not everyone has that view but at least that way I'm never disappointed. And I don't mind paying the fee as I enjoy the event too much.

What's the point of the fee if you do all that? I can do the ride, I live next door, any time I want.

I don't pay it to be passed by 2000 odd riders. I don't pay it to find the village hasn't been set up on the Saturday at 10 as advertised. I don't pay it to see the last riders (not me) being told they can't have a time because the start pen is being taken down. And I don't pay it to be told there is no High 5 because "I should have ridden faster."

So next year, why don't I just start at the same time as others, provide my own food, perhaps have a spot of lunch in the pub and save my money. Cos I can't see what else I'm actually getting?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    2007 dragonride, had high5 energy drink. they ran out then as well, and to be honest it was not mixed appropraitely then either, which is one of the reasons I have not done the ride again. How can the same mistakes be made 3 or 4 years running, and nothing realy done about it ?
    bendertherobot has a point, I would still rather pay myself, to be part of the event. Only thing is, the ride/route is awesome, just the organisation still seems a bit mickey mouse.
  • bendertherobot
    I'm doing the Merlin Ride on 4th July. £25 which includes a meal for the finishers and FOUR feedstations over 104 miles.

Will report back on that. Only 350 or so riders but a lot of effort appears to be being taken with the start village (many exhibitors apparently).
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Bendertherobot,

I've doen both previous Merlin Rides and it's been good, small but with great scenery to ride in and pretty well organised, no complaints so far! The free meal is a new one this year and will be much appreciated. Hoping to do it again with the same mates I rode the Dragon with. You'll enjoy The Black Mountain.
  • bendertherobot
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    Bendertherobot,

I've doen both previous Merlin Rides and it's been good, small but with great scenery to ride in and pretty well organised, no complaints so far! The free meal is a new one this year and will be much appreciated. Hoping to do it again with the same mates I rode the Dragon with. You'll enjoy The Black Mountain.

I'm pretty excited about it, more so than the Dragon (too familiar with the roads being a local).

I'm expecting "undulating!"