Is There Something Wrong With Me ?

glauciaregina9
glauciaregina9 Posts: 259
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Is it weird that I'm not really bothered by bad driving, near-misses and so on when I'm out on the bike? I'm generally a very calm & patient person, maybe this is why.

As long as nobody actually hits me (and they never have... yet :D ) ...

Am I strange, stupid or just naive ?
Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    No, you are Zen cyclist 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    You are none of those things, you are someone i will strive to be like in the future. You are an example to us all... :)
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    I used to suffer from terrible road rage, but since the "accident" last May I've been more placid, things just don't bother me anymore.

I think a near death experiance just put things into perspective.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Is it weird that I'm not really bothered by bad driving, near-misses and so on when I'm out on the bike? I'm generally a very calm & patient person, maybe this is why.

Nope, not strange, not stupid or naive.

You've just got your head on straight.

I'm much the same, I almost always give drivers the benefit of the doubt, I don't believe anyone's out to get me, and I firmly believe that two wrongs don't make a right.

Makes cycling a much more enjoyable experience.

Oh, and 2 (separate) drivers have hit me.
  • Mark Elvin

Perhaps they fancied you & were hoping to get your number?
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003

Nope, you're just emotionally intelligent
  • lost_in_thought
    Mark Elvin wrote:

It's possible, but one tried to bottle it and run away, then didn't talk to me after his passengers made him take me to the hospital, and the second disappeared before I regained consciousness...

Maybe they just came over all shy.

:lol:
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    I agree, I think you are the Zen Cyclist.

I don't think they are out to get me, but I must admit I do get annoyed at bad driving AND cycling. I don't shout or chase after either, just grumble to myself.

Now as to being strange, well I wouldn't want to comment as I don't know you well enough. You could be strange, I wouldn't want to take that away from you hehe
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Good to hear I'm (probably) not as mad I as I thought... after reading so many angry rants on the forum I wasn't sure :?

Similar to LiT, I generally give people the benefit of the doubt if they're driving's not too good... and for the ones who are clearly being deliberately annoying/dangerous because they think I shouldn't be on 'their' roads: shouting at 'em aint gonna change there attitude

Plus, I'm usually too out of breath to start altercating with anyone anyway. heh.
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Mark Elvin wrote:

It's possible, but one tried to bottle it and run away, then didn't talk to me after his passengers made him take me to the hospital, and the second disappeared before I regained consciousness...

Maybe they just came over all shy.

:lol:

Hmm.. Never knock a girl unconscious on the first date. Even I know that.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    ...and the second disappeared before I regained consciousness...

I've had whole relatoinships that would have been better if I was unconscious :)
  • Mark Elvin
    davis wrote:

I find it's the only way to stop them running away, that or rohipnol. :oops:
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • I'm worried that, as I'm not getting angry as much as everyone else is, perhaps I'm just not aware of bad driving - and one day won't think to swerve out of the way when it could save my life.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

You're weird. Part of the fun of commuting is shouting at people, banging on cars and cutting in front of people. Get it all out of your system and arrive at work aggression free with a big smile on your face.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    davis wrote:

You could always try my sure-fire chat-up line:

"Does this soft cloth smell of chloroform?"
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    davis wrote:

or "Excuse me, you're not allergic to sedatives are you?"
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Is it weird that I'm not really bothered by bad driving, near-misses and so on when I'm out on the bike? I'm generally a very calm & patient person, maybe this is why.

You're weird. Part of the fun of commuting is shouting at people, banging on cars and cutting in front of people. Get it all out of your system and arrive at work aggression free with a big smile on your face.

I must be the Ying to your Yang. Or something. I arrive at work calm and relaxed because I've not got all worked up and shouty 8)

Or maybe I'm just too shy (and no, I'm not one of those 'shy' motorists angling for LiT's number by whacking her into the concrete...)

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Usually my fuse is pretty long, but I'm going through a pretty traumatic time at the moment, so my fuse is exceedingly short. Not good at all.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

I must be the Ying to your Yang. Or something. I arrive at work calm and relaxed because I've not got all worked up and shouty 8)

Or maybe I'm just too shy (and no, I'm not one of those 'shy' motorists angling for LiT's number by whacking her into the concrete...)

I was just joking to be honest.... I have shouted at people for walking out in front of me and I have banged on cars for cutting me up etc, but it only happens about once 1 month or something... I'm trying my hardest not to get riled by stupidity.... Really I am!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Got angry with myself this morning for not looking where I was going. Almost rode into the back/side of a van turning off left. I was slowly approaching the lights when they changed to green, so put in a bit more effort, but didn't spot his indicator.

I do get angry and shout at people on an occasional basis, but normally regret it. If you're shouting, you've probably al;ready lost the argument, or at least aren't going to win it.

I have a build that pretty much rules me out of any physical confrontation, so that tends to stop things escalating.

I was going to say Roastie, I would consider you to be one of the more level-headed people on here (as much as you can tell from reading posts), so whatever is going on must be pretty bad. Hope the change of scenery helps.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I don't get angry but I do find that a sorrowful shake of the head in the direction of the relevant muppet works.
  • lost_in_thought
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    davis wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: