Knee Pads

toby_winkler
toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Do many of you wear knee pads for general XC riding? I'm talking about trails, single track, trail centres etc, no massive drops or jumps or anything, just simple XC riding.

I have one weak knee, and after a few falls, I have decided I should invest in some knee pads, because if I did take a hit to this knee, I would be crying like a little girl at the side of the trail. I was just wondering if I would look like a total idiot with my knee pads on, on 100mm hardtail XC bike? I'm not too bothered what other people think, was just wondering if anyone else did the same thing?

These are the pads I am considering getting:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=9590

Are these the best for this sort of money? Or are there better out there on the market?

Any views would be really helpful!

Comments

• fredy
    fredy Posts: 308
    go for it, they will give you more confidedence and it wont hurt so much when you fall.
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Lots of people wear knee pads for normal riding. At the end of the day on a trail or average 'sliding out' tyre wipe out will result with your knee being the brake - happened to me a few times and had to regrow some skin (sure chicks dig scars, but I don't fancy the time off the bike as a result - plus a dislocated knee cap is about as unfun as you can imagine).

I wear mine for trail centres and bigger mountain riding all the time. Plus they are good knee warmers in the winter.

If you feel happy wearing them ignore any comments. I as yet have had none to date, I occasionally see guys with full body armour on my regular rides at afan which I consider a tad OTT - but whatever works for them is fine by me.
  • toby_winkler
    Thanks for the info guys, how comfortable are they to ride in? Do they affect pedalling at all?

When I say I have a weak knee, I have had two operations on it, double ACL detachment, and now have a full hamstring graft, titanium bolts and everything. Didn't think it would worry me to much biking, but after a few falls, due to tyres slipping etc, it does become a bit of a worry!

I already have plenty of scars for the chicks to dig so I don't need anymore!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Thanks for the info guys, how comfortable are they to ride in? Do they affect pedalling at all?

Not in the slightest, I've XC raced in mine. Admittedly very badly but only because I suck :wink: They're obviously a little hotter than having nothing on your knees at all but not badly (your knees don't do much heat radiation anyway, which is why you can wear shorts when you wouldn't wear a tshirt).

The Fox Launches and TLD ones and maybe the new Racefaces are probably all pretty much as good but Kyle Straits set the standard. Mine are finally wearing out after about a year and a half of constant use, just from little tears and snags and such, so I'm getting... Another pair exactly the same. Can't see past them really.

The side protection is nice for the shoddy knee'd, I had a partial ACL tear a couple of years ago, plus a load of muscle loss from hip surgery, and though it's nothing major compared to yours the knee's still pretty delicate and doesn't take kindly to knocks.

But, don't pay that much for them! £32 from Descent Gear and they'll send you loads of weirdly random stickers too ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • toby_winkler
    Northwind wrote:
    But, don't pay that much for them! £32 from Descent Gear and they'll send you loads of weirdly random stickers too ;)

Well I have a phobia of stickers so I wont be buying them from there ;)

Well I could but just throw the stickers away!

And yeah my knee is rather bad, half of my lower leg is still numb, and its nearly a year after the 2nd operation now. Not doing bad to say I'm only 19!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    By the Kyle Strait Patriot's from CRC - £30 on sale currently and exactly the same only with coloured knee pads.

I'm getting some!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks - if you want them, wear them :D

I came off at Afan a few weeks ago and smacked my knee directly into a very small pointy rock on the trail - I had a bloody (literally!) hole in my knee the size of a penny and I was hobbling around in tears by the side of trail for a while afterwards... :?

So no, I don't think knee pads are OTT for xc riding!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    Prevtion is better than cure. I have worn knee pads every ride since I saw my mates knee get opened up like a can of beans! Will be wearing elbow pads every ride now after another un wanted break from biking through injury. You cant go wrong with the kyles.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    Just a little counter balance to this.

Rideing a bike quickly over rough ground is dangerous. Haveing Knee pads or elbo pads can give a false feeling of protection. This can make you take more risks causing more crashes. Remember your pads dont protect every where.

Also If you are a warm rider ( i get dam hot and sweaty when out on a ride) Knee pads on XC when you are rideing fast can realy make you melt.

Its a resk reward judgement that you need to make

(Disclaimer im not saying that pads are bad or wrong just they are not a cure all)
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    By the Kyle Strait Patriot's from CRC - £30 on sale currently and exactly the same only with coloured knee pads.

I'm getting some!

Shame they only have them in small! :evil:
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Briggo wrote:

I'm getting some!

Shame they only have them in small! :evil:

Small? Sounds perfect for me.... off to take a look 8)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    I don't. But if you have a dodgy knee + want more confidence and protection, go for it.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I'd feel naked without my Kyle Straits TBH! They've not been tested that much but definatly saved a few bruises!

Comfy too- wore them all last summer- they get a bit soggy but not that you notice when riding just when you take them off..
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    never have but i would if i was riding in the alps or whistler or doing the ega, and i beleive its actually in rules you have wear armour for the mega.
  • tdougan
    tdougan Posts: 152
    Hey,

I got them (those 661 you linked to actually) after a friend recommend them, you forget you have them on to be honest! I ride single track routes and what not - they do give you 'more balls'.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    I always take mine with me (Kyle Straits) but don't always wear them, it depends largely on how confident I am with that particular trail and the pace I'm likely to be riding at.

They will make you hot and sweaty but the protection benefits far out weigh that, and after a few hours in the saddle you won't notice you're wearing them.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    No one ever plans to have a crash, but when I do crash, I'm always glad I wear pads. Like has been said on here, you forget your wearing them and I have tested mine more times than I care to remember. I dont feel that I have extra confidence on trails for wearing knee pads, but the more I ride, the more I test myself by going faster, higher and harder on the trails. End result is loads more fun and unfortunately more crashes but if I'm going to push my limits then I like to be padded up. 8)
  • toby_winkler
    Thanks for all the views guys, sounds like i really should buy some, seen as I'm looking to push myself a bit more at the moment, and maybe some pads will help with this.

Stupid CRC only have the earth coloured ones on sale at £30, and only having them in small! (my legs are pretty beasty so I'm looking at getting large or above!)

Might order some later tonight, got some money in my paypal so cant really go wrong can i!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Search on ebay mate, you can get the newer Kyle Strait 661's for £34 delivered, in all sizes.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/661-Kyle-Strait-S ... 4cefba8a0f
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    661 Evo D30's > Kyle Straits > Fox Launch Pro's

For me anyway comfort was a major factor especially if I'm going to be wearing them for hours. I returned a set of Launch Pro's as they rubbed on the back of my knee after about 15kms (yes I had adjusted them properly).
    So I tried on a set of Kyle Straits and they were a fair bit better, but the Evo D30s are a lot less bulky and the back bit behind the knee is softer material so won out in the end.
    Yes, your knee will sweat a bit but sweat is better than blood. ;-)
    Apart from the heat you don't notice them after a while, only bad part is they're the most expensive ones, but you do get what you pay for imo.
  • toby_winkler
    Don't I can quite stretch to the 661's at the moment, so the Kyle Straits it is! Think I will just order them off CRC, got some other stuff to order as well so might as well do it all together.
  • mackie1
    mackie1 Posts: 95
    Does anyone know of anywhere that definitely has XL ones in stock? I'm struggling!
  • Kyle Straits are great for general riding - mine also double up for use snowboarding! Sure you'll get a little warm in them, but as said elsewhere, better sweat than blood!
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • toby_winkler
    Didn't notice CRC wont have XL in for nearly another month!

Looks like it will have to be Ebay then!
  • I have one weak knee, and after a few falls, I have decided I should invest in some knee pads, because if I did take a hit to this knee, I would be crying like a little girl at the side of the trail.

Definately do it then, my dad took a big hit to his elbow a while back and had a severe staph infection in it; when it finally healed, he immediately took a big knock to the elbow (which had had a sizable amount of flesh removed to get rid of infected tissue) and developed bursitis (synovial fluid buildup), after being treated for this, he now wears elbow pads every time he goes out on a bike or in his kayak, which has pretty much prevented reoccurance.

TL:DR If your knees are weak then it's only sensible that you protect them.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675

Also if your knees aren't weak it's quite sensible to protect them too ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • toby_winkler
    If you really want to protect you knees (and look fukcing badass) then you should buy these:

UKB-CELL.jpg

Bit on the pricey side though! I might consider them later in life for skiing etc (which I haven't been able to do for a few years due to my knee, and skiing takes a lot of strain on the knees!)
  • Northwind wrote:

Also if your knees aren't weak it's quite sensible to protect them too ;)

Yeah, but less essential.