Which colour would you have gone for?

toasty
toasty Posts: 2,598
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Newly returned frame came back in green (which I did sort of hint at wanting to their credit :D). Which do people prefer?

4228105605_91727d6ac6.jpg

vs

4689149540_a178ab849f.jpg

One is sleek like Knight Rider, the other is a bit wacky like a cartoon character. Such polar opposite bikes. That green can't be captured by meagre human technology, it's uttly crazy in the flesh.

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Niiiiiice, defo the green, who doesnt like neon green!
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Thats a tough one, I really like the crypton green but black looks great.

Sorry not much help!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Green if it had some more green on it like greean rims and other highlights in red or something that really stands out :P
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    flick a coin both work. funnily enough, i don't think an on-one orange would particularly.
  • toasty
    peter413 wrote:
    Green if it had some more green on it like greean rims and other highlights in red or something that really stands out :P

Agreed, it's far too subtle :P
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    Green wins hands down for me.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    I voted green. Looks a bit like a Specialized in black (don't dislike Speshs other than the styling can be a bit drab), you want it to stand out a bit more....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wonder if you could get it half-half. So the right hand side would be black, and the left hand side would be green for example. That would be sweet.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Wonder if you could get it half-half. So the right hand side would be black, and the left hand side would be green for example. That would be sweet.

Fan-bl**dy-tastic!

Would you need matching kit? Or reversed colours?

Have to get busy with the sewing machine!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • toasty

Well technically the lovely top coat is there under that crazy green paint. Let me get my sandpaper out, brb!
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    i would normally have gone green but the black looks so sweet!
    it would be nice in black but kitted out with green bling????
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I'd say green, purely because green would look MENTAL with all my orange kit I've already got :lol:
  • Anonymous
    covelove wrote:
    i would normally have gone green but the black looks so sweet!
    it would be nice in black but kitted out with green bling????
    Like my kawasaki green brake callipers :P
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    I'm no use at all - I'm colour blind and thought the second one was yellow until I read the options - best not listen to me, I choose a white bike to be safe......
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Tom Barton wrote:
    I'm no use at all - I'm colour blind and thought the second one was yellow until I read the options - best not listen to me, I choose a white bike to be safe......

Are you sure it's white? :P

I like the green, stands out from the other bikes in the house!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Its all about the green for me at the moment....

my newest bike is green...the other has green highlights!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    defo green toasty, altho i think my green mojo will be a bit blinger when i get it :wink:
  • toasty
    Ooh, in what way? What bits are planned?

There's lots of inspiration on the MTBR forums :) Mine ALMOST ended up on DT Swiss EXC 150 forks when I bought it, sadly they cost more, got worse reviews and bizarrely came out heavier than a standard set of Revs (which were just over 1600g). Common sense won over bling!

Few nice bits though, KS i900R droppable seatpost, Pro II + 355 wheelset, Easton Monkeylite carbon bars, Formula Oros, Bel Air Ti saddle, 95g Maxxis tubes, full 2009/10 XT/SLX groupset. If I sell the Meta it'll get it's rear mech and shifters to make it all XT.
  • lawman
    Toasty wrote:
    Ooh, in what way? What bits are planned?

well i was thinking a green mojo frame with full ti bolt kit, cane creek 110 headset, 2011 fox 32 float 150 15mm, full 2011 X0 including brakes, eastons new haven bar,stem and possibly seatpost, cant decide wether i actually something like a joplin or not, and either easton haven wheels or crank bros cobalts in champagne 8) oh and white cables, grips and saddle :lol:

if it ends looking anything like as good as it does in my head ill be one very happy chappy :lol:
  • toasty
    Yeah, I've not bothered with the bolt kit yet. It's only about 35g saving if I remember correctly, the exact number is somewhere on MTBR again. I'm sure you could buy the same ti bolts from another supplier for much cheaper.

Droppable seatposts will add a few hundred grams, but then you lose about 40g by switching to the allen key seat clamp and get a bit of it back :) I didn't like readjusting the seatpost lots in the carbon frame so I'd rather do it via the bars and not knacker the frame. It's quite a short top tube and set up in XC high position I felt too forward over the bars occationally, this sorts that.

The Haven bits look interesting, haven't had a proper look into those wheels. Decent weight for 21mm rims, they remind me of the Specialized Traversees everyone was buying for a while. I'm a bit hesitant of 24 spoke wheelsets now though, especially as they're just standard DT Swiss double butted spokes. Think I'll stick with my same weight, narrower, 8 spokes more 355s :P

2011 X0 was tempting me too actually, I like the idea of the 2x10 setup. I think the Mojo will be nicking the Metas Float RLs for this weekend too, we've got a lot of biking planned and I want to see how they compare. Although I seem to be the only person in the universe who says this, after lots of faffing I still don't like the Revs as much as the Fox.
  • lawman
    a website/shop called competative cyclist stocks them and has a great custom build page, comes with complete weights and all :) it should come out at around 24lbs with a normal carbon post or 24.9 with a joplin, altho the new rockshox one is abit lighter apparently. either im sure im gonna love it :D ive always had pretty short bikes so im used to the postion and i love the way you can throw a short frame about though singletrack. i have my saddle set pretty low for my height anyway, im 6ft 1 but have always riden medium frames, they just feel better and i seem to get an aching back from overly long frames.

i like the revs i have atm, but having ridden them round the new monkey trail at cannock im unsure as to what to make of them, very plush over small bumps, but despite the fact ive upped the pressure to stop them bottoming to easily and adding even more pressure in one chamber to make them ramp up, they still dive to easily, where as a pair of 32 fits i tried a few ago were great, not quit as plush, but far more controlled.

if i only save 35 grammes i think ill give the bolt kit a miss although im definitly going get the new downtube protecter, dont want the frame being wrecked now do we :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Black,

Green will look tatty in no time with some solid riding in.
  • toasty
    Wow, the Competitive Cyclist stuff is impressive, it seems to go by proper weights rather than estimates. Although my frame (+ seatclamp + lopes link) was about 200g heavier than their estimate for XL.

The default options also assume no tubes (or Stan's type fluid), no pedals etc. I wouldn't be too worried about weight, as long as you have a top wheelset/tyres and decent forks it's a missile :) Joplins are lighter than the i900R seatpost I went for for example, the KS gets much better reviews though, less play etc. The Rockshox alternative should be interesting though.

I'd be careful with sizing, they do come in quite small. It's smaller than my XL Meta was, it feels quite a bit shorter than Zestys/575s/Enduros I've ridden too. It's a shame they're so hard to demo, 2Pure, the new suppliers might be able to help though.
  • lawman
    i rode a medium demo at rutland water a few weeks ago and it felt perfect, although one planet at llandegla have a large demo bike, so im tempted to try that out when i go over next week. im off to bike bikeradar live too and the have stand there so no dobt ill be hanging round for a fair while :lol:

even on a short ride around rutland and some half decent sections of singletrack and a small tabletop in the car park it felt amazing, very light even for its modest build, own brand kit and xt, and really sharp, suspension felt great, didnt touch the propedal, it was genuinely great fun to ride, and it looks incredible of course, i think green is by far and away the best colour, but even on MTBR you dont see many, pretty exclusive :D
  • toasty
    Ah awesome :) Good to hear you've given it a try.

I bought it partly with Bikeradar Live in mind actually, we went along last year and I fancied doing the 12 hour enduro on it. Sadly it's the same week as our wedding anniversary (which we're spending at Glentress, can't argue) and much further away than Donnington was. :(
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    Green, not only does it look good, but doesn't need a tree to keep it upright - I could do with a bike like that to stop me falling off all the time............
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • lawman
    yer im hoping they'll have a demo i can take round the course at BR, and as i work in my LBS see what deals they'll give me :wink:
  • Anonymous
    PXR5 wrote:
    Green... doesn't need a tree to keep it upright - I could do with a bike like that to stop me falling off all the time............
    :lol: I actually just spat some cola over my keyboard!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    It's not easy, being...Green.