Marzocchi 55 ATA2 still crap?

richg1979
richg1979 Posts: 1,087
edited June 2010 in MTB general
are the Marzocchi 55 ATA2 still garbage or have they sorted these out for 2010?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just to bump this thread, cause I'm awaiting a reply to see whether I can get my crappy 2008 ones upgraded to current spec.
  • mini-eggs
    mini-eggs Posts: 811
    Any news on this??

My all mountain 1 sl is suffering at the moment, spoke to TF Tuned, they recommended a new fork, windwave haven't come back to me. Seen various fixes on the net but nothing that could sort out the fork
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    No Air models for 2010 except for the TST2 I think.
    The rest are all coil, and unfortunately no more adjustable travel.

So the Air cartridge can't go wrong, because there isn't one.
    The compression on the other leg is a different story.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Got the O8 XC 600 Bombers, seem ok, but not getting full 140 travel.
    Otherwise they ride ok.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    With all the silly offers going on RS forks atm I dont know why you'd consider Marzocchi.
  • richg1979
    Dont matter now, orderd some magura wotans.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Had the Magura Photons, or some such name.
    In fact, they are in my gaarge now, as I'm fettling the bike I sold to a mate.

They are, were, nice forks.
  • Anonymous
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    With all the silly offers going on RS forks atm I dont know why you'd consider Marzocchi.
    Well personally, I prefer the Marzocchi damping, when it works. It seems nicely progressive, with a good resistance to bottoming out, whereas the RS forks I've ridden are far too linear.
    Fox though. hmmmm, my new favourite.
  • richg1979
    i was swinging towards some fox talas 36 but doing a bit of research and the wotans pretty much own the fox's, stiffer,smoother,more adjustment and looks sweet with duel arches but do give half a lb extra weight over the talas.
  • Anonymous
    I hear the Maguras can be a pain to get serviced under warranty though. Not trying to put you off, just something to consider.
    It was a close call between Wotans and 36s when I bought the new fork, but by searching for stories of problems, the Maguras seemed to have a few more issues. Then again, you never read much about sucess stories though.

Also, pretty much everyone in Morzine and Chatel were recommending Fox36s. In fact, nobody I talked to recommended anything else. So my choice was made.
  • richg1979
    the fox 36 is the most common am fork and is pretty bomb proof (if you get a good one to start with), but i think a lot of people overlook the magura forks, i never even gave magura a thought when looking for a am fork i just stumbled across them while having a look for the common forks and did a bit of reaserch and they seem to pretty good, even getting better reviews than the fox and rs ect.

ive had a few sets of fox,s and the last 2 sets put me off them, as they both sufferd from slop in the bushings making them feel like my headset was loose and giving brake judder, apparently this was normal as they tighten up when the forks are used or some garbage i was fobbed of with.
  • Anonymous
    There's no doubting the Maguras are great. But so are Fox.
    Like I said it was a close run thing between Maguras and Fox for me. What evebtually swung me I think was the pain in the arse my mate had getting warranty repair jobs on his.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'd be really tempted by some Wotans but a mate of mine's had nightmares with his 2 sets of Thors... To be fair they've always been very good about fixes and replacements, but that only goes so far in making up for the substandard quality of the forks in the first place. When they work, they're very good though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Splottboy wrote:
    Had the Magura Photons, or some such name.
    In fact, they are in my gaarge now, as I'm fettling the bike I sold to a mate.

They are, were, nice forks.
    wise move.. Magura are awsome.

as for zocchi tho... can be good just have to be tuned and set up right.....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • richg1979
    i have seen a few people having trouble with servivng and warranty work, but if you contact magura uk there turned around in 3 days and a full service is £70.

well there orderd now so time will tell.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i here whqat your all saying about Magura reliablity, but Magura are great to deal with and Magura UK are good. As for my Thor's they have been nothing short of brilliant, and very reliable.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    i here whqat your all saying about Magura reliablity, but Magura are great to deal with and Magura UK are good

Actually tbh I'd say they've been brilliant. It's the only reason I'm not in here tearing them to shreds :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist