First ever bike commute - what I learnt...

AdamJ85
AdamJ85 Posts: 14
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Well I've survived my first day commuting by bike, a total of probably 30 miles or so (?) down the cycle path between Bristol and Bath! It generally went well, though definite room for improvement, and a few lessons learnt:

1. My back pack isn't big enough. I couldn't take my lunch in today as I realised I didn't have enough room once I put a towel in...

2. My back pack was too heavy. I tried to take way too much stuff and my back was really aching at times. Probably got away with it this time, but don't want to do that again as I imagine it could cause serious problems in the long term.

3. Concentrate!! I'm still a novice and a bit shakey, I drifted off for a second and realised I was straying towards the other side of the path - I realised just in time to see the road bike rocketing towards me...

4. Not all yoofs are bad! :) Saw a kid dragging his mate behind his bike on a skateboard and thought "oh no, here we go, it's the cycle path, they're bound to stone me to death any second.." (ok so I wasn't quite that cynical!). Anyway, instead they moved politely aside and one said "Nice bike mate" (I'm 95% certain he wasn't being sarcastic..).

5. I need practice changing gears. I tried changing gear to go up a big hill, ended up selecting something like 1 and 7 and my chain came off...I had read about changing gear properly last night. Clearly I didn't implement the theory very well. (Though I was also wondering whether this was entirely my fault or whether I should be worried about the bike - how easily do chains normally come off..?)

6. Headwinds are evil.

7 Cross-winds are evil.

That's probably enough for one day. I'm off to research racks and panniers or some other more comfortable form of luggage... :)

Comments

• sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Good one, well done! It's a pretty hefty commute so in some ways it's good because you'll notice anything that's amiss fairly quickly - but also you've noticed you can't get away with things not being right ;)

I could sell you a pannier pack thing which I barely use any more and paid rather too much for? Mates rates of course.

What're you riding?
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Can you leave some stuff in work like the towel etc.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    redvee wrote:
    Can you leave some stuff in work like the towel etc.

THIIS is the answer
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Have stuff at work which you replace if you go in by car. If carrying stuff on the bike, get a rack and trunk/pannier to get the weight on the bike and not you. Remember to carry a spare tube/chain tool and tyre levers/disposable gloves and leave a spare tube and puncture patches at work. And well-done, that's a fair distance for a first-time commute.
    M.Rushton
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Well done - that's a fair old commute - 2 points

First try and carry the weight on the bike and not on your back - more comfortable - less sweaty

Second - try and anticipate gear changes - change down before you start to struggle - easier on you and on the bike

Good luck
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Well done. 30 miles for a newbie is a way 8)

One thing though. Your chain shouldn't come off if the limit stops are set correctly. Sheldon Brown's site has all sorts of great mechanical tips. See here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
  • AdamJ85
    sarajoy wrote:
    I could sell you a pannier pack thing which I barely use any more and paid rather too much for? Mates rates of course.

What're you riding?

I'm riding a hardtail mountain bike. I basically chose a MTB because I thought it would be easier to ride as a beginner, would be more comfortable and would allow me to use it more for fun as well as commuting - but I have to admit that as I watch the road bikes go shooting past me, I do wonder if I made the wrong decision! (I have just bought a set of slicks for it though- they were quite cheap so going to give them a go and can always try something else if they don't work out).

I'd be interested to hear more about the 'pannier pack thing' :) Not really sure what I'm looking for yet, but would definitely appreciate some more info.

Leaving stuff at work is definitely an option. Though I would like to get some better luggage anyway I think, just because I'm not very organised and think it's worth having the ability to transport more if I have to.
  • Nice trip and good effort. There must be a regular peloton cruising that route I imagine. Keep it up and enjoy.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Panniers are a lot more comfortable. And my rucsac is a pretty good one for this sort of task (Berghaus Freeflow IV 20) which has a frame (to keep the back less sweaty, but it also provides support).

You might want to start gently until you get our fitness up if you are cycling 15-miles each way and it is hillish. I started on Fridays (early finishing ) then went to every other day (Mon, Wed and Fri) and now do every day.
  • AdamJ85
    Kurako wrote:
    Well done. 30 miles for a newbie is a way 8)

One thing though. Your chain shouldn't come off if the limit stops are set correctly. Sheldon Brown's site has all sorts of great mechanical tips. See here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

Thanks, never heard of a limit stop but I'll read that site now...!

Thanks for the other comments too. I think I'm carrying all the right kit for if I get a puncture, and will work on the gear changes. The commute did feel like quite a long way, but it was fun and I'm not going to be doing it every day, hopefully I'll be able to do it a bit quicker too with more practice and better tyres! :)
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    AdamJ85 wrote:
    I'd be interested to hear more about the 'pannier pack thing' :) Not really sure what I'm looking for yet, but would definitely appreciate some more info.

Leaving stuff at work is definitely an option. Though I would like to get some better luggage anyway I think, just because I'm not very organised and think it's worth having the ability to transport more if I have to.

Definitely worth leaving things there - I tend to leave a towel, wash stuff/deo, generic black trousers and a sweater at work, and then bring the fresh T-shirt & underwear, which can fit into a small plastic bag I just stick under the spring-clip thing on my rack.

I used to use the rack-bag but never had enough things to stuff it enough so that it didn't all rattle about! So now I just have a saddle-pack which holds the repair/p*ncture stuff and my wallet/phone/keys.

The bag I have is this one (the sides flap down into small panniers too): http://www.facewest.co.uk/Agu-Yamaska-475-Rack.html
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good man 8) .

Is your backpack a good fit for your back? I carry a fair weight sometimes and know what you mean about a sore lower back. Get one with padding. I use a Kathmandhu trekking-style backpack.

I also carry a shoot-load of tools, too. But occasionally I need them.

Headwinds are good. They sort out who wears blue and who wears pink :) .
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    I commute the same sort of distance on a mountain bike too. I leave my towel at work and at the start of the week I'll take a rugsack which has a weeks worth of socks and underwear. During the rest of the week I have a very small bag\rugsack which has just enough room for a shirt and tools etc. Although the shirt starts off ironed it's not looking it's best by the time I get to work. The rest of my clothes, trousers and shoes I leave on the back of my chair and under my desk.

I would say the biggest issues I've had is when I get wet I don't have anywhere to put my wet cycling gear and also there is a chance of everything in my bag getting wet too.

If you don't have a chain break get one, having a chain snap 8 miles from work is no joke, trust me :(

All the best.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Eskimo427 wrote:
    If you don't have a chain break get one, having a chain snap 8 miles from work is no joke, trust me :(

Big +1. I stopped to help a chap in RP tonight who'd snapped his chain and didn't have a chain tool and spare link.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    edited June 2010
    Eskimo427 wrote:

I would say the biggest issues I've had is when I get wet I don't have anywhere to put my wet cycling gear and also there is a chance of everything in my bag getting wet too.

Put your clothes in a plastic bag then put the plastic bag in your back pack. Simples!
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    I do 17 miles each way with a backpack (mainly has flask and lunch in it. I keep several sets of uniform and towel deoderant at work. I also keep all necessary tools and tubes in a saddle bag. Keeping stuff at work is the way to go its not as hard on the back. Also a a black bin bag in your rucksack keeps everything dry and your phone in a ziplock bag is good too.

p.s you always get a tail wind to work and head wind home.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Eskimo427
    Kurako wrote:
    Eskimo427 wrote:

Put your clothes in a plastic bag then put the plastic bag in your back back. Simples!

I do! :)

I was making a point of although you may think your bag is water resistant don't bank on it.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Lancslad wrote:

BZZZZZZTTT!

I think you'll find that you always get a head wind to work and a head wind home...
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Lancslad wrote:

BZZZZZZTTT!

I think you'll find that you always get a head wind to work and a head wind home...

It seems to have been tailwind-tastic this week... or I'm marginally fitter than I think.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Headwindtastic for me every time :(

Re rucksacks - do get the sort with the air gap between the pack and you (same as Jimmypappa recommends). I picked up one from a shop in Shrewsbury - "Mountainlife Walkabout 35" for only £30. 35 litre capacity means it is big enough for a decent amount of shopping.

It isn't just the reduced sweatiness of these things - the fact that the mesh holds the body of the pack away from you means that you don't have to faff around trying to pack things so the pack feels comfortable on your back. As well as non sweatiness, I last much longer without getting backache from the airflow type packs.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Thats a lovely bit of cyclepath on your commute (best in the country I heard somewhere?) I've ridden it a few times. I'd echo all the above, and perhaps suggest getting a microfibre towel, they dry quick and don't take up too much space.

btw, given the quality of the tarmac on that route, and the number of other cyclists, you'll be aching for a road bike soon :P
  • Eskimo427
    if you have a phone with GPS you could install this and check how well your rides are going.

http://www.sportypal.com/