Wheels & stuff

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Right chaps....

Having got brakes sorted, what sort of wheels do I want (apart from round ones :wink: )? I have Mavic 717s on my superlight, which i'm happy with, but should I look at something else? I have been pointed in the direction of Mavic Crossrides, but i've read a few reviews of them breaking so i'm not sure now.... :? Would 719s be a good one to go for? Get Merlin to build them? And what hub?

And would it be COMPLETELY daft to use the use the wheels off my superlight until I can afford to get new ones? After all, I am supremely talented but can still only ride one bike at a time :lol::wink:

Thanks!!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I'm assuming for the five build?
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    The cross rides are not a bad set of wheels, i've had no problem with mine, however, you can get a decent set built from Merlin for the same price.
    How much you looking to spend?
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    717s are a bit skinny for a Five... Great rims but if you want to use the frame anywhere near its capabilities you want more strength and probably wider tyres.I'd say Stans Arch or Flow myself but they're more expensive... But it depends on what you want the bike to do.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I9 Enduro and a big overdraft :twisted:

Really does depend on budget, and if you fancy going tubeless, and how hard you're planning on thrashing it vs how light you want to go.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I would get stans rims or some DT EX500/EX 5.1d rims.

Either way I would opt to get the Hope Hoops, supreme value for money and they are british :D
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    English....
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Stan's rims on Hope hubs would be my suggestion (unless you hate the Hope buzz).

Flow rims if you're using tractor tyres, otherwise Arch.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Budget? Will you be doing flat to flat drops of say 3 or 4 foot or more?
  • miss notax
    Thanks! Yes, these are for the Orange 5 :D

I'll keep the superlight for xc riding, and the Orange will mostly be be for trail centres in Wales, Scotland etc. That said, whilst I like riding drop offs etc i'll never be massively into jumps and the really mad downhill stuff. A black downhill section in Wales or Scotland is about the limit of my riding!

Most of the suggestions below mean nothing to me.... :oops: I will have to see what they all are! I guess my budget is about £170 ish (under £200).

And would people recommend Hope or Shimano hubs?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    What size hub will you need up front? Are your forks Standard QR, 15mm or 20mm?
  • miss notax
    No idea!!!

Yes - I realise that's a very blonde answer but I really do have no idea about bike componemts and to say that this is a steep learning curve is a massive understatement! A good friend of mine who is a bit of a bike genius is going to build it all for me, but there's a limit to how many ridiculous questions I can ask him (hence the questions on here!).

This is my fork http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FOFOFOX32/f ... ion-forks- and if that tells anyone what size stuff I need I would be grateful if you could let me know!!

(does this mean I need a 1 1/8 headset????)

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Standard 135mm qr rear hub, 9mm qr front hub looks in order. For 200 quid budget hope hubs are probably out of reach.

I'd look at XT hubs I guess. I have the crossrides and they are pretty solid - I lost one spoke in the Alps on a hardtail doing soem reasonable downhill but then I lost loads of spokes on proper DH rims on my Patriot when I used to ride that there! I ran 2.3's on the crossrides which would be as much as you'd want I'd think.

Problem with crossrides is getting hold of replacement spokes - a bit like hens teeth in a haystack.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    For £200 I would suggest Shimano MT-65 (£185 at Merlin cycles).
    Lighter than the Crossrides, UST and very solid. They look cool too.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    Whatever rim you decide on I'd definitely go with Hope hubs, more durable and maintenance friendly than shimanos, plus they allow you to switch axle sizes (QR/15mm/20mm) at the front tool free just in case you ever feel like changing the fork.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!