Road bike or commuter

konarob8
konarob8 Posts: 18
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I am a fairly experienced cyclist, but mainly been into mountain biking. I have a lovely hardtail Kona Caldera, that I keep in the country but I have started riding in London for a bit of fitness. I have £500 to spend on a new bike through the bike to work scheme at Evans and I'm after some advice, I've tried a few, a Pinacle, and a Specialized Sirrus and I'm trying the Kona Dew and the Trek 7.3 on Friday.

But I'm not sure now whether to go for a hybrid thing like these or to go for a "proper" road bike.

Any advice?
Kona Caldera 1998 (I love good steel)
Trek 8000 circa 2001 (Al crap)
Dawes Kickback 500 circa 1992 (well most of the bits anyway.)

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Road Bike.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Give both types a try, but yes, Road Bike.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    PROPER ROAD BIKE.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Before answering I'll try and be more objective than the above jingoists, what is best is what is best FOR YOU, not me or anyone else answering, so the length of commute, the 'hilliness', what you have to carry, traffic density and the surfaces you will cycle on, how much filtering in tight spaces you'll have to do (where drops help) low speed manouvering (flats better) and so on.

I ride a touring frame fitted with flats, I use a rack and panniers to carry lunch and a laptop bag, I have to use very rough road surfaces (so run 26x1.3" tyres at 60-80psi for a little more give) and have little or no filtering to do, so figure its best for what I want and where I cycle.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Depends what you mean by a "proper" road bike... I'd say to get an Audax style light tourer, but it's not a popular category these days, so there may not be a wide range of options. A Cyclocross bike offers a broadly similar range of attributes but at the cost of some weight, since it's built for some off-road use. Both of these would be more comfortable than a "race" bike and would have fittings for racks, 'guards etc.

Cheers,
    W.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    My road bikes are my commuters. They serve the purpose far better than my flat bar hybrid ever did.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Road.

Next.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Road bike I'm afraid (from a keen MTBer!). You could pick up the Spesh Allez for that money ;)
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Road
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    If it was me I would look at roadbikes which can take mudguards and a rack.
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    CX bike as i've been commuting on a hybrid for 7 months now and now i want something a bit sportier without going for the full on road bike.
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    In your position and with £500 I wouldn't buy a road bike or a hybrid.

Buy some new wheels, buy some slick tyres, buy a road cassette (e.g. 11-23) and a new chain. Then simply switch wheels and chain when you want to commute.

And you ought to have cash left over.
  • SamWise1972
    SamWise1972 Posts: 220
    Don't think Cyclescheme will let you buy a pile o' parts.
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129

Very true (I hadn't read the post properly) but a pile of parts would still be cheaper than a new bike.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    FrankM wrote:

Very true (I hadn't read the post properly) but a pile of parts would still be cheaper than a new bike.

To be fair, it would also be a pain in the arse and the OP would find themselves in breach of n+1.

I tried the "two sets of wheels approach" and it was a stupid idea - £130 for a decent pair of wheels, £60 for tyres and tubes, £60 for disc brake rotors and maybe another £50 for a cassette and chain too. That's £300 all ready. And you've still got the weight and barn-door MTB aerodynamics to contend with.

Then you can't be arsed faffing about with it all and just end up commuting on whatever wheels, chain and cassette you used the last time you used the bike...
    Rules are for fools.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    For £500, it's hard to argue against a Ribble Winter/Audax Tiagra for £580 if your budget can stretch...

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/specialedition.asp?action=showframes&sub=conf_SERW&type=RIBMO
    Rules are for fools.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Road. And that's speaking as someone with two very nice flat-bar bikes. But for maximum speed/minimum effort, my two road bikes are even nicer. Waddlie's suggestion is an excellent one.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • konarob8
    I was doing the MTB on slicks with my old Trek, but it is so stiff and heavy, bloody cheap aluminium crap....My Steel Kona is lighter! (Also nearly twice the price....And no the cyclescheme won't let you buy a bag of bits, more is the shame. Otherwise I would have tarted up my old Dawes. But £300 later for the bits, I might as well avail myself of the tax mans largesse and buy a new bike and not have to assemble it.

Have never had a "proper" road bike so don't really know much about them. I've been on MTB's since 15 and had a BMX for several years before that.

The "commute" isn't really, it is a 5 minute ride direct, but I take a long loop around the Thames and turn it into a 20-30 minute ride morning and evening (sometimes a bit longer in the evening) it is all in central London though so it's flat although there is a lot of traffic and even more lights! I don't carry much stuff, just 1 or 2 days a week I'll have a rucksack with food and or spare clothes.

I'm doing it partly for weight/fitness and partly for the fun factor. Its been working so far, but the Trek is a damn uncomfortable ride (despite front suspension) and I hate the cable disk brakes, utter rubbish and impossible to set up, they either rub or don't work very well. At least with V's you know where you are and mine normally stop me pretty much dead.
  • I would be inclined to go road, I recently bought a condor fratello admittedly more expensive than your budget but my previously loved Dawes discovery 701 has been in the shed ever since. If you intend to ride sub 18mph and take in the scenery hybrid, if you fancy making you lungs scream and legs hurt occasionally whilst racking up a few more miles than usual, road.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A CX bike is a hybrid lol.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    supersonic wrote:
    A CX bike is a hybrid lol.
    You're going to upset a few people here SS :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • aldric
    aldric Posts: 161
    I don't think you can even get a CX bike for £500 can you?

I thoguht the spezialized was one of the cheapest and that starts at £699.
  • konarob8
    I fancy the idea of something that will go a bit faster and make the legs burn (not that that takes much a.t.m.) I had a look on Evan's website (who the work scheme is with and they are my LBS anyway!) and the cheapest is some Raleigh at £650 so that knocks that idea on the head. With road bikes, the Spec Allez, one of the better specced bike in my price range, looks much like the Sirus but with drop bars. The specs are very nearly identical, the road bike is a tad lighter, but not much in it. Guess I'll give it a try and see, the drop bars worry me a bit, never ridden them. The other thing that is even more worrying is a slightly rotund chap like me doesn't look good in Lycra :shock: It isn't compulsary on Road bikes is it?
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Go for the road bike, there are enough 'I've bought a hybrid and now I want something faster' thread :wink:

I normally ride in baggies (or trackies if its cold) on my road bike, doesn't bother me.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    aldric wrote:
    I don't think you can even get a CX bike for £500 can you?

I thoguht the spezialized was one of the cheapest and that starts at £699.

Here you go:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 155c018341