OT: Help!! Any HTC Desire users out there?

2»

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    Paul E wrote:
    IIf being a fanboy means i get a phone gets updated every year and just works then I am one.

Yes.... However you have to buy a new phone to get the new OS. Android gets a new OS free..... :P

No you are wrong, the 3G onwards and the ipod touch are all getting the new OS for free.

Not a nerve just setting the record straight.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Apparently flickr sync is causing this - turn it off and it should improve. There is also an over the air update which seems to solve it (although the update may have been pulled).

In added news - wow, the Desire is a great phone - big step up from the Hero which I didn't expect.
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    I'm finding myself being lured away from the iPhone at the moment towards the HTC Desire. Hope it's not a mistake
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Oooooooh interesting, had a look at the battery monitor and it seems my task killer was using 32% of the battery!

I don't think it's meant to do that... :?

Have now uninstalled it and switched to another one, we shall see...
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Paul E wrote:
    From keeping up with stuff ont he android side it all seems a bit of a mess with certain phones being upgraded, others being promised and not getting an upgrade from the carrier etc etc, so you get some on 1.5 still some on 1.6 some on 2.0 and some on 2.2.

This is very true, and could start to cause real frustration if they start developing apps that everyone wants for only the latest version. It's not a real problem at the moment, but it might be soon for people like me with the ole Hero. Most people in the know would probably move away from the stock ROM, but that's not ideal, and it's not really a solution for the majority of the public.

re: task-killers. There's a debate on this, generally you *shouldn't* need it. You only need it for badly behaving apps that are out of control, in which case you should really delete them.

Your'll waste more battery killing apps than just leaving them in the background ;)
  • thewaiter
    thewaiter Posts: 110
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    I'm finding myself being lured away from the iPhone at the moment towards the HTC Desire. Hope it's not a mistake

me too.....
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Paul E wrote:
    As soon as I see the word fanboy I tend to stop reading and switch off, I am no fanboy, I happen to like things that just work, I get my music from a lot of places and never had a problem loading it onto an ipod or iphone, my phone now multi tasks with ios4 (yes I have it on a 3GS) never had any battery problems to have needed to replace it and have a choice of many free apps.

From keeping up with stuff ont he android side it all seems a bit of a mess with certain phones being upgraded, others being promised and not getting an upgrade from the carrier etc etc, so you get some on 1.5 still some on 1.6 some on 2.0 and some on 2.2.

As for flash, it's a cpu hog and is unstable so no thanks, never ran into a site that not having flash on my phone stopped me from doing what I needed to do.

If being a fanboy means i get a phone gets updated every year and just works then I am one.

Sorry for the rant but I buy the phone that suits me and works well, I'm not nerdy enough (almost but not quite) to go for a android flavoured phone just yet till they sort out the problems I read about everyday.

A big fat +1. Also from a tart's perspective, the HTC phones are fugly, the new iPhone looks gorgeous. :wink:

htc-desire.jpg

iphone_1652641c.jpg
  • lost_in_thought
    nich wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

This is very true, and could start to cause real frustration if they start developing apps that everyone wants for only the latest version. It's not a real problem at the moment, but it might be soon for people like me with the ole Hero. Most people in the know would probably move away from the stock ROM, but that's not ideal, and it's not really a solution for the majority of the public.

re: task-killers. There's a debate on this, generally you *shouldn't* need it. You only need it for badly behaving apps that are out of control, in which case you should really delete them.

Your'll waste more battery killing apps than just leaving them in the background ;)

Interesting! I shall monitor the battery with and without then... trouble is a certain SE-specific app called Timescape that pulls all your messaging/social networking etc into one slightly crappy format, connects to 3g a lot and can't be uninstalled from the device or exited without the use of a task killer.

As far as the versions, I think it's fair to say that where it's a google device, they're much on the latest version, whereas some other producers (SE for example) are lagging behind as they try to adapt the new versions to their interface and software. However, I can't really see much of a difference between my X10 (1.6) and a friend's HTC Desire (2.1). We've yet to find any apps that are on his but not mine... although I'm sure they're out there!
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    Paul E wrote:
    As soon as I see the word fanboy I tend to stop reading and switch off, I am no fanboy, I happen to like things that just work, I get my music from a lot of places and never had a problem loading it onto an ipod or iphone, my phone now multi tasks with ios4 (yes I have it on a 3GS) never had any battery problems to have needed to replace it and have a choice of many free apps.

As for flash, it's a cpu hog and is unstable so no thanks, never ran into a site that not having flash on my phone stopped me from doing what I needed to do.

If being a fanboy means i get a phone gets updated every year and just works then I am one.

Sorry for the rant but I buy the phone that suits me and works well, I'm not nerdy enough (almost but not quite) to go for a android flavoured phone just yet till they sort out the problems I read about everyday.

A big fat +1. Also from a tart's perspective, the HTC phones are fugly, the new iPhone looks gorgeous. :wink:

htc-desire.jpg

iphone_1652641c.jpg

One of the attractions of the 3gs over the iphone 4 is the shape, I like the "curves"
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Paul E
    They will drop in price when the 4 comes out
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    Thanks everybody for your advice!
  • lost_in_thought
    To make your battery last forever:

Switch on flight mode in the tube at about 8am.

Forget to switch it off.

:oops: :lol:
  • Paul E
    To extend mine I switch off the 3G side of things, the gps and the wifi, lasts days then, not as fun but hey ho.

One tip if you have wifi access is to use that instead of 3G, uses less power and is obviously quicker.
  • lost_in_thought
    Paul E wrote:
    To extend mine I switch off the 3G side of things, the gps and the wifi, lasts days then, not as fun but hey ho.

One tip if you have wifi access is to use that instead of 3G, uses less power and is obviously quicker.

Yeah, I may well start doing that, I mean, I'm only using the 3G when I'm actually using the phone after all.

I also think there may be some weirdness going on with the 3G connection at new work - it says it has a good 3g signal but often can't connect to the data provider.
  • Paul E
    Yeah, I may well start doing that, I mean, I'm only using the 3G when I'm actually using the phone after all.

I also think there may be some weirdness going on with the 3G connection at new work - it says it has a good 3g signal but often can't connect to the data provider.

The 3G bit is the faster network bit, you can still make calls using the 2G bit of your phone the internet will just be very very slow.

I get that in some places, I think the cell tower you are nearest just has a lot of traffic going through it so it shows good signal but hasn't the capacity to serve anything to your phone.
  • lost_in_thought
    Paul E wrote:

The 3G bit is the faster network bit, you can still make calls using the 2G bit of your phone the internet will just be very very slow.

I get that in some places, I think the cell tower you are nearest just has a lot of traffic going through it so it shows good signal but hasn't the capacity to serve anything to your phone.

Ohhh I see! I am in the heart of blackberry-ville, aka Mayfair, which is also renowned for it's lack of supply/demand correlation in the world of IT...
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    Well, I got a bit worried about the battery life being shorter and shorter, and the phone getting warmer and warmer. So decided to take it back to my T-Mobile shop and they swapped it. Using my trusty Nokia 6131 now, despite the charger connector being broken, I think. Shame; best phone I ever had!

Left battery charting 12 hours, as suggested by T-Mobile employee. Will upload contacts and all toys tonight, see how it goes.

Thanks again for all the advice. Sometimes I wish I had gone with iPhone, but T-Mobile doesn't have them and I have to stick to that network for the time being.
  • lost_in_thought
    Following the advice above, I've uninstalled all the task killer apps, and now my battery (SE X10) lasts for the best part of 2 days!

Yaaaaaaaay! :D