What size inbred Frame for a 5'9" bloke

eebygum
eebygum Posts: 49
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I am trying to decide whether to get a 16" or an 18" Inbred frame and I'm not sure which would be the best size for me.

I am 5'9" with a 32" inside leg and I will be using a 100mm fork.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll have the opportunity to test ride one before I buy. I reckon it comes down to personal preference, but any advice/experiences would be welcome.

Cheers

Andy

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you like a long reach? If so get the 18. If want a more compact set up, then the 16.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    you'll be stretched out on 18" i've the same inside leg but am 6' tall and ride an 18" with a 50mm stem and it is nice and flickable. Depending on your preference and what you want to use it for i'd suggest a 16" would be better.
  • RobGT
    RobGT Posts: 132
    I've just cracked 6' and I have an 18". Just nice :)

As SS says they are quite long so take that into account.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    Im the same size as you and im running the 16" 456. i gave the guys a call at on one and asked for what size they recomend for my height.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Andy,
    You should compare the effective top tube lenght of what you ride now and the same measurement on the Inbreds, providing you want to keep a similar riding position.
    And if it's in-beetween then you'll have to choose between losing out on a little bit of efficiency or a little bit of flickability. You can cheat either way by adjusting the stem lenght to what you have now though, up to a point.
  • MrBlond
    MrBlond Posts: 161
    16"

I'm 5'10 and had an 18 which felt like a gate. 16 I have now is perfect.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Bang on the switch really, I had a 16 inch Scandal- same geometry- and it was marginally too small for me at 5'10 and 33 inch inside leg. But I did like the relative compactness of it in other ways compared to the 18 inch.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Im 5'9" and have an 18" cube which is totally fine for me
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The cube is not like the inbred though - differnt geometry and measurements.
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    ridden a 16" inbred and it felt REALLY small. bought a 456 summerseason 18" and it feels just right

(5'10" btw)
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • nettlerash
    nettlerash Posts: 15
    i've just had a 16" inbred 100mm forks and 70 mm stem, i'm 5'8" with a 31" inside leg and it's just right for me.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Just bought a 456 for myself and I found the On-One sizing guide quite handy as at 6 ft I own a 19.5 FS bike and a 20" hardtail

From On-One's site: Sizing Guide on the Inbred frame

Rider Height..........Inside Leg..........Suggested Frame Size......Stem Length
    5′6″ to 5′10″..............28”-31”........................16”........................60-80mm
    5′9″ to 6′1″................30”-34”........................18”........................ 60-80mm

Sizing Notes

All frame size recommendations are approximate. A good fit will also depend on the correct choice of stem length, correct bike set-up for the rider and riding style.
    Correct frame size choice can also depend on a rider’s torso and limb length.

And.... again from On-One's site

READ THIS SECTION TWICE :: You probably need an 18in frame

Not you, maybe, but on average we sell four times more 18in frame than anything else. So chances are you need an 18in model. We recommend them for riders as diverse as 5ft 9in to 6ft 2in. At each end of that scale, say an inch or two in height, you can easily go up (at the top end) or down (at the bottom end). So shall we have a quick go:-

“I’m 5′9″ – well, you can either have a 16in or 18in frame.
    “I’m 6′0″ – you can ride an 18in or 20in frame.

Other stuff…

1.Our top tubes are consistently long
    Our 16in frame has a half inch (ish) shorter top tube than our 18in frame. Our 20in frame has a half inch longer than our 18in frame. It’s not much. Make a stem 10mm longer or shorter, and move the saddle forwards or backwards and you can exceed that change. So don’t get too hung up on things.

2. Sliding your saddle back will make you do wheelies
    Ramming your saddle back on the rails on a small frame will make you do wheelies on climbs. This is fun, though not always what you want for getting up steep things if you’re sat down. If you’re riding a singlespeed though, go for it. As you’ll be out of the saddle when climbing anyhow.

3. Our frames have quite a short headtube
    Couple of things here – if you like HIGH bars (and by that I mean at, or higher than saddle height), you’re going to need a higher rise stem than on other bikes. If your fashion tendencies are offended by pointy up stems, then stop right now and go choose another brand. Using a short headtube means we stress the top tubes of our frames in a certain way that gives a very compliant ride. Short headtubes mean that the top tube is low, so you won’t catch yourself when you come off. We like it.

4. 29ers are almost the same size as 26ers
    However, at that lower end, we’d move it up a bit. 16in 29er are a little bigger than the 26in one, so maybe riders under 5′10″ should be on a 16in one.

5. We’re talking about using 400mm posts here
    When I say 6′1″ riders can get on an 18in frame, I’m talking about using a 400mm post (our Twelfty one).

6. Tall chaps like big wheels
    If you are over 6′2″ then seriously consider a 29er. The only exception to this is if you’re very heavy. Right now we think that REALLY big lads are served better on 26in wheels with big 2.5in + tyres, rather than 29er wheels. But we’re working on stuff. And when I say “big lads” – I mean them over like 25 stone.