Creaking noises!

SpaceBadger
SpaceBadger Posts: 113
edited June 2010 in The workshop
Hi all,

I have noticed lots of creaking noises when I'm riding - although I did turn 30 this wek I'm still pretty sure they're coming from my bike frame rather than the ol' joints :wink:

Is this something I need to worry about, or is it a natural consequence of wear and tear? The bike is only a couple of years old (Trek 7.1fx) but has had daily use on pretty awful roads (potholes and speed bumps a plenty).

I think it has got worse over time, I don't remember the bike making these noises when I first got it and I am envious of other people gliding about silently while I creak my way along!! :?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
"I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    If they are coming from the frame itself, then that's a worry. More likely, they are coming from cranks, handlebar/stem or spokes. Try tightening (or lubricating, as appropriate).

Cheers,
    W.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    on the same vein; any ideas / suggestions regarding creaking bottom bracket?
  • SpaceBadger
    Thanks for the reply W, it is difficult to isolate the source of the sound but it does seem to happen most in response to downward force i.e. my coming down the other side of a speed bump etc (whether or not I'm seated in the saddle at the time).

I'll try some tightening and lubricating to see if there's any improvement though, I do hope it is that and not the frame then!

FCN = 4
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've found that all noises on my frame come from the headset, even the clicking rear brake sounded like it came from the headset!

Creaking IMHO most often comes from the seatpost, either into the farme or at the saddle, so would suggest a 'spanner check' at those two places as an easy first checkl Also standing on the pedals when you expect a creak, if you hear no creak would, help confirm that!

Simon

PS 30 is young sonny boy! I'm 29 and 166 months.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jetsstar1
    jetsstar1 Posts: 53
    I had the same problem over the last week with my Trek 7.5FX, clicking or squeaking every time I put down force on the bike. It sounded like the frame but I eventually identified it was the seat post, there was some grit in the seat tube and this was making the noise. I took out the seat post, cleaned out the tube and the post, a little grease and put it back together and now it is completely quiet. Could be worth a try??
    Marin Highway One
    Trek 7.5FX
  • SpaceBadger
    Cheers for the reassurance that I still have 'yoof' on my side Simon - although I am one of those burd things so the sonny boy bit doesn't really apply :wink:

Thanks also for the suggestions re squeakage, seems it is most likely to be the seat post as jetsstar says because the 'clicking and squeaking every time I put down force on the bike' is exactly what I have going on. Will check this out and let you know if I am back to stealth mode afterwards :D

FCN = 4
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cheers for the reassurance that I still have 'yoof' on my side Simon - although I am one of those burd things so the sonny boy bit doesn't really apply :wink:

Oops, sorry........

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.