London 2 Brighton Advice Please

tatman69
tatman69 Posts: 176
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I am doing the L2B a week on Sunday and as this is my first time I was after some advice/experiences of others.

My start time is 9am..from I have heard its going to be very very slow for the first 10 miles, is that correct?

IIf so whats the chances of getting off earlier if I turn up say 7am?

Any other advice welcome ta

Comments

• Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    I applied for a 6am start and got given an 8.30am start which I'm incredibly annoyed about - :evil: and the pack which I was sent as states explicitly that you won't be allowed to start earlier.

Yes the first 10 miles or so is very slow getting out of London and there's a couple of hills (or slight inclines) on narrow lanes that you might have to end up walking up due to everyone else walking.

Some aspects of the ride are a right PITA, however if the suns shining its a great day out - its nice to cycle on close roads and also nice to see so many people out on their bikes for a good cause.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • tatman69
    Ok thanks so if I starting at 9 (I usually average around 15mph on my MTB with knobllies and am changinfg to slicks for the day) Im looking at probably 5 - 6 hours if the start is going to be very slow?

I also applied for the 6am start time.....am looking forward to it should be a fun day.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Have a squint at this thread over on the other place.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12705921
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    It is going to be slow for the first 60 miles!!! 27,000 cyclist down narrow country lanes doesn't work. But they atmosphere is great. If you're out for a fun day, then you will enjoy it. Just don't be expecting to set any PBs.

Watch out for the Ditchling at the end. I had an 8am start a couple of years ago and it was so congested, you had no choice but to walk your bike up. But then coming down was fun.

Oh, and don't forget to empty your bladder before boarding the bus home. They do not make pit stops.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    I have a 6.am start :P

Anything up until 7am is usually fine, after that it gets a bit dicey.

If you put the hammer down at the start you can clear most of the slower riders before they get to the hills.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i did it a few weeks ago in 4 hours 30mins from southgate. would NEVER do it with everyone else though. i can only imagine it would be hell on earth.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i did it a few weeks ago in 4 hours 30mins from southgate. would NEVER do it with everyone else though. i can only imagine it would be hell on earth.

Actually its lot of fun if you don't take it to seriously.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    tatman69 wrote:
    Ok thanks so if I starting at 9 (I usually average around 15mph on my MTB with knobllies and am changinfg to slicks for the day) Im looking at probably 5 - 6 hours if the start is going to be very slow?

I also applied for the 6am start time.....am looking forward to it should be a fun day.

I've done it on a knobblie tyred HT a couple of times - no-one ever told me you could put slicks on a MTB :( .

Reckon I was cycling for 6 hours or so, but including pit stops, whole thing took more like 7....

Agree with previous posters - slow start, some other uphill bottlenecks, and no PBs to be had, but if weather's good, the atmosphere makes a great day out.

My top tip? The locals line the route , and on hot days some will be spraying hosepipes. Keep your eye out, because the water is heaven when you're hot, but a right shock if you don't expect/want it :wink: :shock:
  • tatman69
    CiB wrote:
    Have a squint at this thread over on the other place.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12705921

That was an amusing thread...ok so give up on the fact of doing it in a specific time etc and just enjoy the day!!!

As long as I get up DB ...albeit very slowly I will be happy!!

Oh and overtake a few roadies :lol:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    amnezia wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Actually its lot of fun if you don't take it to seriously.
    does not compute.
  • Big Dave
    Big Dave Posts: 85
    I did the L2B a few years ago. You will find that the roads will be full of people on knackered bikes that only get dragged out of the shed once or twice a year. The numerous climbs will as a result be quite slow and frustrating as the more inexperienced riders tend to wobble all over the place before coming to a complete halt. My only advice would be to have a patient approach because with an 8.30 start time you'll find yourself in the middle of a lot of slower riders. As mentioned on this thread by somebody else, it is meant to be a fun ride to it is best not to try and go too quickly. Just go with the flow and enjoy roads with no cars on them.

One word of warning though; look out for inexperienced cyclists stopping or swerving suddenly. I saw a few nasty falls caused by bad riding the year I did it. They mainly involved experienced cyclists travelling at speed being caught out by other people riding badly. Don't assume that others know what they are doing or are as observant as you.

I ain't fat, merely optimised for gravity.
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    tatman69 wrote:

Maybe quicker if you're on slicks, I did it in 5 hours on a oversized MTB frame with semi-slicks, depends on your fitness levels as well I presume.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Far more fun to do the London - Southend ride on July 18th organised by same people, same distancem, but far less people and a good ride

oh and train company is positivley welcoming of cyclists back from Southend
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I'm helping out so gotta be there for 5:30... :shock:

At least the roads down to Clapham will be empty.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Do me a favour when you get to Lewis Road in Brighton. Stop at the traffic lights please?

It gets a tad annoying when trying to use the pedestrian crossings when none of you buggers want to stop! :wink:
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    i've got a 7am start time fortunately so will be hoping to put the hammer down a little to get clear... DDD are you going to even bother starting with us or just do your own thing?

How long does the process of arriving and getting stuff stamped and organised take? I want to be leaving on the dot of 7 - does it make sense to get there at 6.30?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Probably do my own thing.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • MonkeyMonster
    DonDaddyD wrote:

np matey, just wondering - you've been so quiet of late :D I think there are a few who might join up to cycle back together
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I keep seeing the signs for this all over the place near my parents house and on the new backstreet route I use to avoid the mess that is the M23/A23 junction of the M25!

Probably a bit late for this year but if you are interested in doing a L2B type ride have a look at the Capital to Coast ride. Sorry for those who have read me harping on about this before but I found it a really nice ride the 2 years I did it and in neither case what it massively busy and I certainly didn't have to walk the bike up any hills :-)
    Starts at Esher College (round the corner from Thames Ditton train station) and ends in Hove, about 60 miles all in and last time I did it we went up and over Box Hill which had a spectacular view and the ride down Zig Zag Road was more south of France then south of London (albeit a lot shorter.....)

Instead of Ditchling you get Devils Dyke to keep you on your toes at about 54 miles and then a great descent down to the sea front :-)

Good luck to all those who are doing it tho, for an inexperienced rider to go and do a 60 mile ride it is very admirable :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

np matey, just wondering - you've been so quiet of late :D I think there are a few who might join up to cycle back together

Sorry, been really busy. The only thing preventing me from joining you is the 7am start. Though I'm undecided so I may join you, just not sure yet.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Doing it with my g/f, both got 9am :(

I was going to take the ROI, but I am afraid of inexperienced cyclists causing me to fall, so will probably take the commuter
  • MonkeyMonster
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Sorry, been really busy. The only thing preventing me from joining you is the 7am start. Though I'm undecided so I may join you, just not sure yet.

You planning on starting later?
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I did it the last 2 years but the congestion last year was horrendous up until about half way and that was starting just after 7!! It`s a good day out but I probably won`t do it again because of the congestion although if I did I would miss out the official funneled start and jump in with the early starters just outside the common. Don`t take a nice bike if you`re coming back on the coach either as they just hurl them on and off
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

8am - ish.

To be honest haven't been able to give the ride that much thought beyond that I know I'll be going.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

8am - ish.

To be honest haven't been able to give the ride that much thought beyond that I know I'll be going.

you're just desperate for an excuse to walk up ditchling
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

8am - ish.

you're just desperate for an excuse to walk up ditchling

:lol::lol: Remember any miles you walk can't be logged on the TFL challenge ;-)
    Just put it in the big ring, power up and yell "Move aside for My Awseome!"
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    tatman69 wrote:
    I am doing the L2B a week on Sunday and as this is my first time I was after some advice/experiences of others.

My start time is 9am..from I have heard its going to be very very slow for the first 10 miles, is that correct?

Starting at 9am it'll be slow for the first 60 miles. I've seen people walking at Chipstead.