Shimano SPD shoes

toby_winkler
toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Size bigger or size smaller than my usual shoe size?

I thought it was size smaller but just read on one of the comments on CRC that you should buy a size bigger?

I know you will say go try them on, but no shop near me has the ones I want so I am just going to order them from CRC.

Comments

• bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I have trainers in 9.5 (44) and 10 (44.66), walking boots in 9 (43) and shimano shoes in Euro 44 seem to fit me. Got a set of race shoes that are fairly snug and mp66s that are a little roomier, which fits the character, I suppose.

That doesn't seem to suggest one way or the other, sorry!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • toby_winkler
    That doesn't seem to suggest one way or the other, sorry!

Bit of info never hurts anyone!

I am sure there is a general rule to go either once size bigger/smaller, I am thinking smaller to get a more snug fit tbh.
  • bike-a-swan
    If you're going for race shoes I'm not sure I'd recommend that. If you've got a lot of other people backing it up, then go for it, but I can only comment from what I know.
  • toby_winkler
    Well they wont be for racing yet, actually my first adventure into SPD's!

I am usually a UK size 12/13 in trainers and general shoes etc, So I'm thinking of going for a size 46 which is around a UK 11.5 I think!

I wish shoes sizes where just all the same, it confuses me greatly.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    For me that fit perfectly:

Shimano MT41 size 41.

However,

CRC dhb road shoes are size 42 ( as I read the comments as well thank Gawd!).
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • toby_winkler

Shimano MT41 size 41.

However,

Is this answering my question or are you just telling me your shoe size? ;)
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    My Shimano MT21 are the same size as all my other shoes and they fit fine.
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    I always find Shimano to be on the small side. Size 44 for my size 44 feet. Never managed more than 45mins before being crippled. Although I do have wide feet. Length maybe good just not wide.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • shimano shoes for me are 1 size up,
    in the summer they are fine (i have size 45 cycling shoes and 46 ones) this time of year the 45's are okay but when using sealskinz they are too tight!
    general rule for the hsimano shoes are a size up, and bear in mind you'll be using them with thicker socks in the winter months!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    As above, the biggest problem is the different thickness of socks you'll be wearing. Nice thin ones in the summer and for me Sealskinz over cycling socks in the winter.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I find the length of my shimano shoes to pretty much match my normal shoes. But they do seem a bit narrower. I'd certainly NOT be going for a smaller size, that would be agnoy.
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I'd definitely go up (at least) one size with Shimano shoes, as Cat With No Tail says, they do come up narrow.

I have three pairs, in 44 (MO72), 46 (MT51), & 47 (MW80) (I'm a 45 in normal shoes), the 44's too tight, the 46's are OK but only with thin socks in the summer, and the 47's are spot on.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    i find shimano to be about the same size i take in trainers, but i'm a size bigger in sidi
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Hi Toby

I wear the same size as you 12-13 and have a pair of Shimano MBT shoes for touring and general riding - I am using size 47 and find it a good fit, although in winter really tight if I wear thick socks on freezing mornings, so much so that I am thinking of getting a pair of size 48s just for cold winter riding. Otherwise, the size 47 fits very nicely, snug but not too snug. I think you'd find a 46 too tight.

I have narrow feet and Shimano' narrower fitting last suits me very nicely; if you have wider feet that again could be a reason to shift up a size.

Just thoughts. Obviously everyone's feet are different though
  • bike-a-swan
    What the guys are saying about thick socks is true- I can get a set of woolie boolies in the race shoes with no problems, but sealskinz are a squeeze. The mp66s take sealskins comfortably though.

Also, I have fairly tall feet, so I wouldn't notice any issues with the shoes being narrow, I suppose.
  • toby_winkler
    Thanks for the info guys, looks like I will go for the 47's then, and if they are to small for thick socks in the winter, just another excuse to spend yet more money on my bike.

I think CRC only have up to 46 at the moment, so I will have to wait to order then (and I don't like waiting!)

Just look forward to learning to ride clipped in now ;)
  • w86h2000
    w86h2000 Posts: 18
    I've just bought a pair of Shimano M086s. I'm size 44 in normal shoes or trainers. Went for a 45 but was too tight, got a size 46 pair now and they're fine but only with normal socks and not sealskins. I'll have to get a pair of winter shoes anyway or overshoes later in the year as mine have an air mesh in front which does leave water in.

I've been out twice so far in clips in with only one fall related to not being/forgetting to clip out :D
    Orange G3 2011
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2009
  • Red Route
    Red Route Posts: 59
    Do NOT go a size smaller esp on Shimano's!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Size 45 in "normal" shoes, I need 47 in Shimano!
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648

Shimano MT41 size 41.

However,

Is this answering my question or are you just telling me your shoe size? ;)

Sorry, I was assuming you were going to buy CRC dhb shoes which a lot of CRC buyers have complained about the size difference from normal size.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • toby_winkler
    The only place I can find that has the shoes that I want in stock is at Merlin. They only have Size 48, which is the equivalent to a size 13 right? So technically this should be the best size for me, seen as I wear size 12 or above in all other shoes.

Should I go for this size, or wait for some 47's to come in stock? (which is a little under a month away at most online retailers!)
  • if you want to wear them in the winter then go a size up as the extra thickness of a pair of sealskinz and a merino liner sock will fill that nicely!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • wat are good shoes for starting using spd
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    wat are good shoes for starting using spd

I have some Shimano MT21s. They look pretty awful, but they're comfy, well ventilated, and cheap.