iPhone Commuting Apps

Bucklsp
Bucklsp Posts: 12
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
All, any recommendations for apps to track your daily commute? I'd imagine all the usual averages being available plus the ability to perhaps upload to the net to track your progress online? Should make my commute to work more interesting when I begin to do it in a coupleof week s(C2W scheme:) )

Cheers
Steve

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Cyclemeter works for me
  • conanius
    conanius Posts: 23
    I'll be using runkeeper pro for when I start to commute.

It's pretty nifty, and gets cool points as it automatically can upload to twitter or facebook when your finished to shame you.
  • Bucklsp
    Can I ask where you carry your iPhone on your commute? The GPS receiver usually needs a reasonable signal to work, but I don't want to mount it on the handle bars. :/
  • I use runkeeper - just start the clock then put phone as quicly as poss in my rucksack - when I get to work or home, quickly get phone out of rucksack then stop the clock.
    Ok this does effectively add 30 secs to each time, but its consistent and it bothers me not
  • conanius
    I have an armband that I wear it in when I run, I'll be using that
  • Bucklsp
    I'll try it stashed in the rucksack I think and see what the signal reception is like :)

It's a shame the iPhone can't monitor your heart rate as well, don't think there's an 'app for that' :D

cheers all
  • conanius
    Runkeeper can take the heartrate file polar watches produce and overlay that, and it can also interact with those wifi scales you can get
  • Bucklsp
    so there is an app for that! Marvellous :)
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I use a watch, I store it on my wrist. I may look at it if I'm late.
  • itssam
    itssam Posts: 31
    been using cyclemeter - I just like the fact that it exports to google maps: http://j.mp/b6vmQ3 (yes i know i'm slow)

although I'm interested to know if map my run/ride lets you up/down load the routes from their a site so you can plan a ride ahead of time...

Mounting wise (from http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... p=16232278):

i've got one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... ss_product mounted to the handle bars - seems to be working pretty well and appears to be waterproof (although if its really bad i've been putting it my waterproof pocket.)

there's a nice level of rubber protection on the inside if it came off but it'd be screwed if I landed on the screen / it was run over i'm sure... which reminds me i kind of need to re-enforce the mounting
  • I've used a couple of apps for cycling and like Map My Ride. I've found it easy to use and as your account works on both iPhone and computer you see your works easily and even devise some new route before going on a ride. I
  • conanius
    edited August 2013
    not sure if this will work...

Thats the output online for a run I did recently usingrun keeper (You can choose cycling as an activity)

Key highlights are the mapping, your average pace and altitude plotting, the stats at the top, and the fact it tracks your performance and does pretty graphs etc.
  • Bucklsp
    Looks good, nice website :) Thanks for sharing