MTFU?

Atomic
Atomic Posts: 34
edited June 2010 in MTB general
How do you guys deal with aspects of your riding that become a mental block and you cannot seem to find the balls to do?

My stupid brain for some reason is having real issue with some small jumps to flat out at my local trail. I don;t have a problem getting air on my bike and happily take on table tops and drop-offs - but everytime I try and ride into one of these jumps my body freezes and I either pull out at the last minute or brake really hard!

I completely don't understand why - sat here now I know I can easily tackle those jumps and having just got back from a sweet few days in south wales - which really improved my riding and skill - I thought I would just go straight up to them and nail them - no such luck!

So... How do you guys convince your brains to MTFU when you have stupid mental blocks like this? Or am I just getting old? Is my riding doomed to just riding along canal paths for the rest of my riding life? :shock:

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    You're getting old, live with that fact. To get over the the fear eithe MTFU or better still get yourself on a skills course, preferably a one to one session.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    brain out and just do it.

found a trail a few weeks back with a jump (only about 2 foot high) at the bottom of the last downhill bit.

couldn't manage it for aaaages, then just said fcuk it and went over.

completely smegged it up but second time round managed it a bit better. next time will be bit better still.... etc etc...
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • practice + start very small!
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Chase someone else who can do it. Then just think 'follow them and it'll work' over and over.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How are these jumps differing from what you are used to? Table tops can give some 'big air' if you hit them hard.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Atomic wrote:
    How do you guys deal with aspects of your riding that become a mental block and you cannot seem to find the balls to do?
    Start your own chicken trail around the obstacle. You will be surprised how many other people follow your lead.

Those who ride a different way live to ride another day :)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Take one large bottle of Dutch Courage drink it allow to mature in your stomach for half an hour then GO FOR IT what could possibly go wrong
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    stubs wrote:
    Take one large bottle of Dutch Courage drink it allow to mature in your stomach for half an hour then GO FOR IT what could possibly go wrong

At least you'll nice and relaxed when you hit the ground and are less likely to break anything :lol:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    +1 for chicken run.

I'm 31, not 13.

:lol:
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    -1 on the chicken run.

Sounds like you can easily do this one. Had a few of them myself. I try remembering just how annoyed I was for days after last time and just did it.

When your brain shouts 'pull the brakes' shout back 'FUC£ OFF' even louder. Even if you have to shout out loud it'll be worth it when you land it.

I'm all for sticking to chicken runs if it's something way beyond you or so big it'll seriously hurt to mess it up but not something that you know you can do.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Approach it without your fingers covering the brake levers, as in, all 4 fingers on each hand gripping the bars. All of a sudden braking becomes a concious decision rather than an annoying reflex.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    bails87 wrote:
    Approach it without your fingers covering the brake levers, as in, all 4 fingers on each hand gripping the bars. All of a sudden braking becomes a concious decision rather than an annoying reflex.

+1
    Don't hold on to the brakes, with your hands wrapped around the bars you hjave greater control. Scrub your speed approaching it then get yourself in the right position and hit it.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    M1llh0use wrote:
    brain out and just do it.

Works really well for rolling stuff with a good entrance, I can just paralyse my brain til the point of no return :lol: It's the stuff that needs some thought that messes me up.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Atomic
    Thanks for the tips guys - I was thinking of dutch courage as a last resort!

I like the idea of not having my fingers anywhere near the brakes - that might do the trick!
    supersonic wrote:
    How are these jumps differing from what you are used to? Table tops can give some 'big air' if you hit them hard.

I know! That is exactly my point! I know these jumps are nothing compared to some of the other things I ride, but something in my head keeps chickening out when I go for it! :?
  • jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    nothing compared to them as in bigger or smaller or just plain different?
  • Atomic
    jpstar wrote:
    nothing compared to them as in bigger or smaller or just plain different?

Well I'd probably say they're slightly smaller and they have a nice clear run in and a nice run out too - so no need for sketchy braking etc after landing.

When riding down the trails, I often throw myself off of drop offs that are 3-4ft with rocky landings.

These jumps are probably have a lip of about a foot or so and the landing (due to the slope of the trail falling away) about 3ft below. So in theory, with the easy run in and landing, I shouldn't have a problem with them at all.

To be honest, I think its all stemming from a confidence thing coming from work - I've noticed that I am, generally, lacking in confidence recently since I had a real tough case a few weeks ago - its really getting to me that my work stresses are getting to my riding - my riding used to be an escape from work :(
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Chase someone else who can do it. Then just think 'follow them and it'll work' over and over.

This works for me. Not done any jumps as such but was a ltitle drop off. Shit out at first then we said we'll go back and I just follow, and it worked.
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    It is often the smaller jumps that are harder to hit than the bigger ones. The smaller ones are harder to control and predict. It also doesn't help when both your wheels cannot get onto the up-ramp at the same time which also aids in the not feeling in control. A 6ft high table top would be a lot easier as it becomes much easier to determine what might happen.

Also...........MTFU!! :):):)
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)