And on the second day of my return to commuting...

2»

Comments

• GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    What a cock. Hope you heal quickly.

I know it's a bit late to say this now, but I only just picked up the thread. Always, but always, get in touch with plod ASAP, especially if you don't have witnesses to back up your version of events. If idiot boy decides to contact the police first then it looks kind of bad for you if you leave it 24 hours. For all you know he rang the police five minutes after the incident reporting that some cyclist had smashed into his car and left the scene. Unlikely, but possible. If you get in straight away they're looking for a hit and run driver which is a pretty serious offence given that you were injured.

The police would have taken the matter more seriously had you rung them from the scene and reported a hit and run. They'd have had a patrol there pretty sharpish and probably an ambulance responder too. I was deeply impressed by how fast PC plod turned up at my last RTA. At that time both the police and the paramedic advised me to attend hospital immediately. Not only for my own wellbeing, but also they said so that I would have a proper medical report should I choose to pursue a claim. Also the police said that a record of any injuries would help on should they decide to prosecute the other driver. If your injuries turn out to be worse than you think and you do want to claim then, given that you have no witnesses, you might have a hard time proving the injuries were caused in the accident. So get yourself checked out ASAP. For your own health and for potential legal reasons too.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    GarethPJ wrote:
    What a fool. Hope you heal quickly.

I know it's a bit late to say this now, but I only just picked up the thread. Always, but always, get in touch with plod ASAP, especially if you don't have witnesses to back up your version of events. If idiot boy decides to contact the police first then it looks kind of bad for you if you leave it 24 hours. For all you know he rang the police five minutes after the incident reporting that some cyclist had smashed into his car and left the scene. Unlikely, but possible. If you get in straight away they're looking for a hit and run driver which is a pretty serious offence given that you were injured.

The police would have taken the matter more seriously had you rung them from the scene and reported a hit and run. They'd have had a patrol there pretty sharpish and probably an ambulance responder too. I was deeply impressed by how fast PC plod turned up at my last RTA. At that time both the police and the paramedic advised me to attend hospital immediately. Not only for my own wellbeing, but also they said so that I would have a proper medical report should I choose to pursue a claim. Also the police said that a record of any injuries would help on should they decide to prosecute the other driver. If your injuries turn out to be worse than you think and you do want to claim then, given that you have no witnesses, you might have a hard time proving the injuries were caused in the accident. So get yourself checked out ASAP. For your own health and for potential legal reasons too.

I rang 999 at the scene and gave details, stating that it was a hit and run, and they said to report it to the nearest police station, which I duly did. I was slightly suprised they didn't send a patrol car out, but well, I made it to a police station.

They took a brief statement, whilst saying that they weren't "really open", and sent out patrol cars to hunt for him.
    They gave me a reference, and said I should pop into another police station at some point to give a more formal statement. I meant to do this today, but for some reason the local police station here closes at 1630, which I kinda didn't know.
    It'll have to be first thing tomorrow now.

In any case, I think I'm covered for reporting at an appropiate time.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Aidy, sorry to hear that, hope you're ok. Sounds like you've handled it pretty well, hope they track the guy down.
  • Aidy
    Canny Jock wrote:
    Aidy, sorry to hear that, hope you're ok. Sounds like you've handled it pretty well, hope they track the guy down.

Cheers :)

I think I got the important things done, with hindsight I'd also have taken pictures of everything, particularly the driver and the car and made sure that I'd harassed everyone standing around for some sort of contact details.

Would probably have involved a bit more mobility than I had available to me at the time, though.

It is pretty sad that everyone's so desperate for it to not be their problem that they'll vanish at first oppurtunity.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    It's a North London thing :twisted:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Aidy wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:

Cheers :)

I think I got the important things done, with hindsight I'd also have taken pictures of everything, particularly the driver and the car and made sure that I'd harassed everyone standing around for some sort of contact details.

Would probably have involved a bit more mobility than I had available to me at the time, though.

It is pretty sad that everyone's so desperate for it to not be their problem that they'll vanish at first oppurtunity.

Yeah, that I find utterly appalling. I've witnessed 2 accidents on the bike, and each time I've stopped and handed the one I perceived as the victim a business card so they can contact me if need be, as well as checking they're OK/calling an ambulance if required.

It doesn't take much.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Glad you're still with us, mate.

I know exactly how you feel after my recent experiences. Not bothered by claiming on insurance, but wanting justice.

Lack of witnesses is a problem (even though I have two, a CCTV camera and a 999 call recording, I'm still finding it difficult). And I managed to block the car so he couldn't escape before the Police arrived.

I don't understand why people think they can just hit & run and get away with it. It's probably because they can.
    Riding on 531
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Aidy wrote:
    I did leave a a bit of a scrape, and a reasonable dent in the car, 30ish to 0 generally does that.

He did try to say "Look, you damaged my car too" as if that made us even.

I don't think he particularly liked it when I pointed out that no. HE damaged his car by driving it into me.

Sorry to hear about your off

given what he's said to you he's missing some of the basic concepts of the responsibility of driving a car... hopefully the popo will stop him see the dent in the car you've described and give him both barrels (then allowing you to claim the damage back on your bike)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Glad you're alright, I hope the police do their job and track the guy down. Please keep us informed :)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bad luck fella, hope the Police track this bloke down - bet he's uninsured...

Dunno why people are so anti claiming compo though. After all if you, bike, kit etc are damaged there will be a cost implication in that. I'm going through the process atm as I don't see why I should pay for repairs, time off work, travel when i was hit by a careless dirver. Make em pay, that's why they are insured. Besides a nice payout can be spent on cycling stuff, so double bonus. It's not like slipping over in Tesco then taking them to court - Hit and Run, he needs to learn a lesson.

Worth getting checked out in Hospital as well, sometimes injuries can take a while to present and if you've not been checked out it can make things harder further down the line.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Glad you're alright.
    Bad luck fella, hope the Police track this bloke down - bet he's uninsured...

Dunno why people are so anti claiming compo though. After all if you, bike, kit etc are damaged there will be a cost implication in that. I'm going through the process atm as I don't see why I should pay for repairs, time off work, travel when i was hit by a careless dirver. Make em pay, that's why they are insured. Besides a nice payout can be spent on cycling stuff, so double bonus. It's not like slipping over in Tesco then taking them to court - Hit and Run, he needs to learn a lesson.

Worth getting checked out in Hospital as well, sometimes injuries can take a while to present and if you've not been checked out it can make things harder further down the line.

This!

And

CJCP's advice was spot on.

Claiming compensation shouldn't be abused but equally it shouldn't be demonised either. Now I'm going to find a Porsche to ride into...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Aidy
    ... and the third day (for I skipped yesterday to heal up a bit), was gloriously uneventful.