Energy levels lacking on the return journey, tips?

2»

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Ate an apple late afternoon that I had overlooked at lunch. Nice crunchy Braeburn. Seemed to give me extra energy on the ride home. May also have been a tailwind. Results inconclusive.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Well bananananas are either the energy food of the Gods or there was one whacking tailwind on the way home tonight! :D

Just checked the cycle comp - topped out at 36.3 mph as well... something good happened on the way home tonight

Hang on - I did a circuit near enough and I know I was straight into the wind at one point... Hmmmm... is this where *I'VE* been going wrong all this time? 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Gussio wrote:
    Ate an apple late afternoon that I had overlooked at lunch. Nice crunchy Braeburn. Seemed to give me extra energy on the ride home. May also have been a tailwind. Results inconclusive.

Fairly sure there wasn't a tailwind if you were heading south west :wink:, so +1 for the apple.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Bananas. Awesome.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    a bowl of cereal

Not really that into cereals and was blown away by the choice when I went to the supermarket to buy a box. I saw one with Chris Hoy on the front so bought that, and that's all I've had ever since. I'm a creature of habit I suppose. Oi Hoy, on yer bike mate!

Celebrity endorsement works!!

Cheers,
    W.
  • cyclingmev
    cyclingmev Posts: 105
    Boing-boing! Keep scoffing them thar bananananananas!!!! :lol:
    i like bike
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Caffeine also helps - a cup of coffee 15 minutes before you leave. Have it with a banana and you'll be going great guns!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Caffeine also helps - a cup of coffee 15 minutes before you leave. Have it with a banana and you'll be going great guns!
    *ponders.... goes off to patent a bio-engineered, caffeinated banana*
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    JonGinge wrote:

Or bio-engineered bananainated coffee?
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:

Just think of the size of the beans :shock: Would need a monster grinder...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

I'd imagine that Monsters make for messy grinding.
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

I'd imagine that Monsters make for messy grinding.
    HeeHee. Hook, line and sinker ;)
    I refer your honour to the response you made in the 3 word thread
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    I did the full (21 miles each way) commute yesterday and the day before. I was a bag of very slow poo on the way back on Thursday evening. I do eat well (balanced diet, spread through out the day) so it's not entirely a food thing. In my case I need to get used to it, and break up the full commutes with shorter ones (part way in by car), i.e. alternating between 14-20 (for the short commute) and 40+ miles a day makes it easier.

You say you're doing 3 days of bike commuting a week, is that Mon, Wed, Fri with Tue and Thu as rest days? If not, that might well work better than 3 days on the trot.

Also, +1 to the caffeinated banana, sublime idea :)
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    I eat terribly, which is why I find myself in my current predicament. I wish I could eat bananas but it's something about the texture, they just get stuck in my mouth and I feel like a chimpanzee eating peanut butter. They are however, an amazing food, they can cure hangovers and help prevent cramp as well.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Caffeinated banana?

Copa Cobana? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKsVhyiISY8

I sometimes swear it's drug induced...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Banana, bagels, jelly babies, jaffa cakes...
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    My performance does drop off a bit but oddly I am not sure if the traffic lights helped in being kind to me or the saturday traffic but after 4 days commuting in this week I set my PB on the way in this morning but I felt sluggish and there was a head wind for a bit of the journey.
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Boy Lard wrote:
    I wish I could eat bananas but it's something about the texture, they just get stuck in my mouth.

I'm no great fan of the texture, particularly if under ripe (though getting to like 'em more), however there's no rule that if you ride bikes you must eat bananas. They're nutritionally useful, certainly, and come in their own handy wrapper, but if you don't like 'em it's pointless trying to force yourself - there's a lot of other fruit or other food you can eat.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.