outer hebrides

DaveMoss
DaveMoss Posts: 236
just back from a few days cycling on Skye, Harris and Lewis.
It's a long way to go, but is well worth it for the superb quite roads and mind blowing scenary. I could count the potholes on one hand, and all too small to cause concern. Out on harris/ Lewis.

on the return ferry there must have been 40 bikes going over.

A good trip would be from Glasgow, take train to Oban, sail to south uist then ride with the prevailing wind on your back to Stornaway, ferry to Ullapool then ride to Garve to catch the trian to inverness and on to Glasgow.
Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk

Comments

• scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    [quote="DaveMoss"

A good trip would be from Glasgow, take train to Oban, .

Maybe not for a wee while :!:

Sounds like a nice trip Dave. I've cycled a lot on Orkney (Northern Isles) and you'll find similarly well surfaced and quiet roads there as well.
  • mabarbie
    mabarbie Posts: 64
    DaveMoss wrote:
    It's a long way to go, but is well worth it for the superb quite roads and mind blowing scenary. I could count the potholes on one hand, and all too small to cause concern. Out on harris/ Lewis.

A good trip would be from Glasgow, take train to Oban, sail to south uist then ride with the prevailing wind on your back to Stornaway, ferry to Ullapool then ride to Garve to catch the trian to inverness and on to Glasgow.

Sounds blissful. I'll be going to Lochcarron to go up the Bealach na Ba afew times as prep for my etape du tour this year, hopefully the weather will be kind to me. I'll be staying in Dundee so have to drive for 5 hours to get there but should be worth it!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Mabarbie - I am from central scotland and it takes me 5hrs to get there too - but it is worth it. The drive up is part of the whole experience for me.
    Brian B.
  • Dr U Idh
    Dr U Idh Posts: 324
    If you're going from Oban, get the ferry to Barra and work your way North.
  • cyclopath
    cyclopath Posts: 71
    DaveMoss wrote:

Or

Sod the wind. Take the train to Inverness, cycle to Ullapool, ferry to Stornaway and take what time you have available to island hop south. Get to Oban and hop on a train, but not this week :wink: , to head back to Glasgow. Or, if you have the time, cycle south to Tarbert, ferrry to Portavadie, round the Kyles of Bute and over to Bute at Colintraive then ferry from Rothesay to Wemyss Bay and train to civilisation. Or Claonaig instead of Tarbert and go to Ardrossan via Arran. And from there, a train to Glasgow.

Or to put it another way. Get a map and a Calmac timetable.

You can't go wrong, quiet roads and good tarmac. Although the south of Arran is dire as far as road surface is concerned.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Brian B wrote:
    Mabarbie - I am from central scotland and it takes me 5hrs to get there too - but it is worth it. The drive up is part of the whole experience for me.

Thread hijack!

After replying to this it got me thinking that it had been a few years since I had done the Bealach. So on Friday night I checked the weather and it looked okay and next morning I am parked up in Lochcarrron and the drizzly rain has just went off but its cold - real cold with a strong wind.

What a day - the route was not as hard as I had remembered but mist at the top of the Bealach coupled with the wind made a interesting descent into Applecross. The wind and cold for this time of the year was bad and despite 3/4 bibs, jacket and overshoes did not really feel warm all day but at least it was dry and road surface although grippy was good.

Its the most scenic climb and route in Britian IMO though and well worth the journey to get there.
    Brian B.
  • mabarbie
    mabarbie Posts: 64
    The Bealach was indeed as wonderful as I had hoped!! The climb starts of really easy, all you can see in front is the signs with 'Passing Place' which mark the route for you as you look up. The only real difficulty I had was the bit just before the hairpins, with the wind coming straight down at me, and then on the way down to Applecross the wind again tried to take my bike away from me, but it was all worth it. On a clear day Skye can be seen, almost at touching distance.
    From the west the climb is not so difficult or imposing as you don't have the mountains closing in on you, but it is a pleasant ride none the less. Anyway went up on Friday, slept in Lochcarron (avoid the Lochcarron Hotel if you want a good night sleep!!) and then up again at 6 to climb again before returning home.

Every cyclist in the UK should do this climb at least once in their lifetime, I'll be up again some day!!