The Tour Series - Southport

Lochy
Lochy Posts: 70
edited June 2010 in Pro race
Anyone know if this event will definitely be on, seeing as it's still tipping it down in the NW??? Maybe a concern for the state of the roads, plus don't fancy driving to Southport and getting my hair wet! :D

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    The weather is fine, it`s forecast dry for tonight.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    They raced in worse than this last year in chester soI'd think it'll still go ahead....anyway do what I do and keep your hair in a box.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Lochy
    Cool! Oh and i'll get looking for a suitable box.........
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Don't panic Lochy, this is cycling, not cricket !!

Enjoy the race
    Greg
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    As someone says above, yeah it peed it down last year at Chester (I got my hair wet), and it rained at one of the earlier events this year (Portsmouth ?).

Wet cobbled streets, or painted traffic lines and manhole covers - super !
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    i'm there now :D
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Can't wait for Chester this year! Second year in a row I won't be able to volunteer though
  • Lochy
    Not long back after having a top night watching how fast a bike 'can' actually be ridden. Still hard to believe how fast these lads can travel.

Excellent setting down Lord Street, shame the crowd seemed to be a bit reserved.

Oh and thank god i never needed a box! :D
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Was super. I managed to get a halfords finger to bash the boards. I saw ed Clancy going back to the car park he must have been doing 25....round the roundabout. Good day out
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    What time did it finish? I was there about 9pm and it was all over.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Lochy
    antfly wrote:
    What time did it finish? I was there about 9pm and it was all over.

Bout 8 - they only race for approx an hour.
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    i wish it was dry for our race! we started at 4:35pm and it was raining slightly which made the cornering abit more dangerous! still fantastic day! loved every minute of it and the speed of the guys was incredible!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Great night, good race and a well run event. Weren't hanging around were they?

Stood at the first left hander for about the first 8 laps and at one point Ed Clancy actually had to dip his shoulder in he was so tight to the barrier. Was stood there as I reckoned it was where the break would go from with the run of consecutive bends. As I moved round the course the break went almost straight away.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Did you notice they went anti clockwise round the course this time, unlike last year. Only difference it made was that the breakaways were being hauled back because of the tight 2nd left hand corner, it favoured those with powerful kicks out of the bend, made it V exciting , touch and go, I felt sorry for number 99 too. Bet he's still out there.
  • kinesin
    kinesin Posts: 100
    Definitely a fast race, standing at the hairpin it all seems so slow, yet 10 yards down the road they are flying.

Even though I was there I didn't manage to watch much of the race; too busy taking photos to follow what was actually going on. :oops: so if anyone is interested, I've uploaded the them here: Southport Tour Series 2010

I put the camera away at the last intermediate sprint and watched till the finished, hopefully I'll be available get a full race review on itv-player soon.
  • kinesin
    kinesin Posts: 100
    Lochy wrote:
    Not long back after having a top night watching how fast a bike 'can' actually be ridden. Still hard to believe how fast these lads can travel.

Excellent setting down Lord Street, shame the crowd seemed to be a bit reserved.

Oh and thank god i never needed a box! :D

Southport is a bit* of an OAP town, (not many kids hence the childrens A&E is in Ormskirk), but watching the other races most crowds are reserved bar the board banging sections around the finish line.

It's also seems to have p*ssed people off with regard to cycling by ramming cycle paths, and green-eco bike riding schemes stupid ideas to close majors etc to encourage cycling down the communities throat. Especially as Southport already has major traffic bottlenecks issues around the town.

* okay alot.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    kinesin wrote:

Nice set of pix there dude, well done