One Pannier which side?

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
OK I know it's been discussed before but..

I've been following a thread on another forum (I know I know) about which side a pannier should be placed if used singularly. The majority seem to be sying on the right with the main reason being that you appear wider and drivers give you more room.

Now I don't get this. You don't appear wider, you are wider aren't you (assuming it is wider than your body). Drivers will (should) pull out more but the gap hasn't increased, it's still the same because the pannier is still attached to the bike and would take you down if hit.

Maybe it's a perception thing. I use mine on the right by the way, I guess I look wider but I wondered if the opinion on here was the same?

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    On the right for me too. Various reasons.
    Seems to keep cars out further. It will be more visible to cars/vehicles. If fitting a light, would want it on the side where it is easier seen.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Mine is always on the right for the reason stated. Given various attempts to shave my right leg it's not always effective but I think it works on the whole.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Mine is on the right but for totally different reasons - and to be honest I hadnt even thought about it...

It just felt natural to put it on that side - presumably because I am right handed, I guess. Thinking about it, this offers a number of advanteges though:

When I want to get something out, I stand on the left of the bike and lean it against my body - this naturally positions the right hand pannier easier to access without stuff falling out.

When I want to step away from the bike I naturally lean it on its right side too - because I am standing on the left when I dismount. the pannier gives me something soft to lean against a pole, tree or building that wont stratch or damage the bike.

When I mount the bike, I usually push off with my left foot on the peddle and swing my right foot over the rear - with the pannier on the left I would have to take a wider arc or risk kicking the pannier on the way. Not a problem when using both but just makes it easier when using just one.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    On the right:
      Reflective stripes on the pannier are more visible from the front, rear and outside I get off the bike on the left so lean the bike on its right side It's more natural to lean over from the left and rummage in the pannier The bike looks more bulky on the outside The clip to remove the pannier is on its inside so it's easier to reach from the left
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Plus it offers some protection to the derailleur if you topple over?

As well as all the stuff about puhing traffic further out (maybe) and visibility of any reflectives on it, and easier to kick over on the far side (if that is how you mount) etc...
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Offside (right) , mines got hi-vis reflectives on the back of it.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    on the right side. As you mention it makes you appear wider and cars do give a wider berth (I think someone called it the rule of big)

Also when fitting or removing the pannier I tend to do it from the opposite side (as I then prop the bike up), and its nice not to risk chain oil on the leg..
  • VespaTrek
    VespaTrek Posts: 72
    I would agree with on the right... though interestingly as I walked up the road to work today and loads of bikes came past I noticed 5 with a pannier and all on the left...
    Vespa GTS 300 most days... Trek 7.7FX the rest
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I only used to use one all the time and so would swap it over to balance muscle usage
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    I'm another righty, in my mind it was because it gave me more room on the left of the bike when overtaking cars etc. In reality i doubt I ever get that close anyway. Plus same as many others being right handed I seem to be able to get that one on and off faster without faffing around.
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    For the reasons quoted above, And you do look bigger, as it must be the distance from the bike wheel to the outside that is important
    Plus it offers some protection to the derailleur if you topple over?

As well as all the stuff about puhing traffic further out (maybe) and visibility of any reflectives on it, and easier to kick over on the far side (if that is how you mount) etc...

Yes, that has happened with mine (at low speeds) during the icy weather.
  • BiggerBoat
    BiggerBoat Posts: 168
    On the right. It's a crumple zone.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    It seems I am in a minority of one. I bizarrely assumed that if it was good enough for Pinarello with their assymetrical (sic) frames it was good enough for me, so I put it on the left to offset the weight of the drivetrain.

In retrospect this is a silly idea and I shall follow the crowd and put it on the right in future . . .

Cheers!
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    So it's official...Bikeradar commuters dress to the right :lol:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    On the left.

Right foot is my leading foot, so having the bike weighted on the left makes trackstanding a bit easier.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    There's always one...

Right for me too, funny enough I put it on the left a few months ago to see what would happen and I really struggled! Must ride with it on the left more often, or I'll get a freaky overdeveloped....... something. I'm not sure just what right now.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    There's always one...

It's normally me, too! :)
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I'm a righty - but have another (totally paranoid) reason.

When I lived in london, I was convinced that the next big criminal wave to sweep the town would be snatching of panniers bikes at lights etc. Putting it on the right - by my logic - made it harder for the (presumably) pavement based toe rag.

the crime wave never did materialise...
  • PBo wrote:

..nah, all the villains moved to Yorkshire :)

Another right dresser here.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • PBo
    PBo wrote:

..nah, all the villains moved to Yorkshire :)

Another right dresser here.

Maybe I should start the trend??

Which side is your pannier Supersonic, amaferanga at al - and please post up details of your commute route and times, highlighting any traffic lights where you are likely to get stopped.....

oh, and do you have laptops in your panniers?
  • PBo
    Actually, with a previous (crap) pannier, I couldn't adjust it sufficientlly to give heel clearance on the right, but could if I placed it on the left.....go figure...

What is this pannier nonsense anyway, a basket is the way to go!