E Anglia without getting lost

ajoten
ajoten Posts: 321
edited June 2010 in Tour & expedition
Can anyone recommend a nice quiet 80-100 mile route in East Anglia that requires minimal map reading? Would be tempted to compile something out of NCN routes but fear some stretches might be traffic-free (i.e. pedestrians and learners) or slightly off road.
Андрю
Alu is real.

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    North of Norwich, the NCN follows an old rail line. I have done it on 28mm tyres with no problem. There are quite a few other good routes out of the city and once you are in the countryside (about 20mins from city centre), its all good.
    Any road riding is going to require navigation, the country lanes are in a dense network with junctions every few hundred metres. I find that a bar-bag/map holder speeds up journey time far more than any other gizmo. A small button compass may also come in handy on cloudy days.
    The OS Landranger 1:50,000 is good for route exploration but a bit too large scale for just riding along.
  • solstice21
    solstice21 Posts: 321
    Which part of East Anglia will you be starting from?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    You want a tour guide. I'll do it for £80 for the day.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    This website shows a nice route through Essex and Suffolk

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ron.strutt/
  • ajoten
    ajoten Posts: 321
    We'll be starting from London (i.e. prob get a few miles out on train first) and need to finish somewhere can easily get back to London by train after a night of beer and fish/chips. So coastal endpoint would be nice.
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    There is a railway back from Sherringham/Cromer on the N Norfolk coast, which makes for a nice destination. Its a slow 1hr journey to Norwich where you can pick up a London train.

You can start a bit further out in Essex, generally Essex gets better further from London.
    Suffolk is all small country lanes with a couple of fast A roads.

Dont reckon on keeping up a high average speed (eg a a club ride 17mph), you will have to do a lot of navigation.
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    London to Kings Lynn is a fast train trip. Then beat up to Hunstanton and follow the coast all the way round. Nice roads and hard to get lost (i.e. just keep the sea on your left!). I think Cromer is 70miles, or Gt Yarmouth 90 miles.