Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Got up, fine.
Cycled to work, fine.
Walked from car park up to desk, fine.
Collected towel and soap, fine.
Walked to shower, fine.
Closed shower cubicle door... Aargh... Pain in back all of a sudden.

No idea what I've managed to do to myself but now my right, mid-upper back is twinging and feels awfully nervy.

Left back is fine, lower back is fine, just the right upper side.

Might have to leave the bike at work tonight :(

Comments

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Muscle spasm or popped a rib, maybe?

Have you got a sharp pain close to the spine (where the rib would join it)? And a tingling around the same height on the r/hand side of your sternum? If so, popped rib.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • elcani
    elcani Posts: 280
    I get this fairly often - seems to strike between mid and upper back/shoulder, always on one side. Can last up to a week, sometimes much less. Doesn't seem to need any significant movement to set it off.

I think it must be a muscle spasm. My laziness means I've never really investigated it, but I should, because it's 'effing annoying when it happens.

Hope you recover quick.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Greg66 wrote:

Have you got a sharp pain close to the spine (where the rib would join it)? And a tingling around the same height on the r/hand side of your sternum? If so, popped rib.

:shock: Popped rib? First time I've heard this term. Sounds painful! What is it and how do you fix it?
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Disc bulging out and pressing on a nerve? Am getting gip off my lower back from something similar. Suggest getting it checked out.
  • Jamey
    Doesn't sound like a popped rib but could be a spasm I guess.

If it hasn't gone in a day or two I'll take myself to the doc's.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    kelsen wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

:shock: Popped rib? First time I've heard this term. Sounds painful! What is it and how do you fix it?

It can feel really painful. The rib shifts out of it's "socket" (cartilage really, I think) at the back.

So, you go to an osteopath. He lies you on your back, and places his fist under you on your spine, next to the offending rib. Then (basically) he pushes down on your chest with all his weight whilst pushing up with his fist, to relocate the rib.

Kind of "OMFG WTF DID YOU JUST DO TO ME! :shock: " the first time it happens. But it works.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    It's almost certainly just a muscle spasm - I say 'just', but I know only too well how painful and how debilitating they can be. It's your body's way of protecting you from perceived trauma. Unfortunately our body's natural defense mechanism gets it wrong sometimes and will panic unneccesarily.

A hot bath, heat or ice packs, ibuprofen if you need it, gentle movement in the affected area and time.

Do have a look at your riding posture and how much you are tensing your upper body as it will no doubt stem from this.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    Jamey wrote:
    Walked to shower, fine.
    Closed shower cubicle door... Aargh... Pain in back all of a sudden.

Do you work in some sort of correctional institution?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    I expect Aguila will be along in a minute to give a formal diagnosis. Don't let him catch you within 50 feet of a car, just in case.
    <a>road</a>
  • nitesight
    nitesight Posts: 119
    Two days into the exact same issue myself. I was in a car accident a few years ago and my back has been a little delicate since. About three times a year I get them. Usually after lots of DIY but that's just my excuse and I'm sticking to it! It takes a three to four days to ease off. I went swimming today and was fine in the pool but feeling a little seized up as i sit on the sofa typing this.

The previous advice regarding Ibuprofen if you need it is good. If it's really bad then I've been advised by various GP's to use paracetamol and ibuprofen together. That tends to give me a few hours relief. The hot bath will ease it off for a few hours too.

Back spasms are a cow and make you feel old.....

I'm only 33 and there is no dignity in the missus having to put your socks on for you. :oops:
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    ElCani wrote:
    I get this fairly often - seems to strike between mid and upper back/shoulder, always on one side. Can last up to a week, sometimes much less. Doesn't seem to need any significant movement to set it off.

I think it must be a muscle spasm. My laziness means I've never really investigated it, but I should, because it's 'effing annoying when it happens.

Hope you recover quick.

You should! I had the same "laziness" and I ended up with a slipped disk. Never experienced pain like that! :(
  • jonny_trousers
    nitesight wrote:

I'm only 33 and there is no dignity in the missus having to put your socks on for you. :oops:

True, but on the plus side, as she's down there anyway...
  • When I had something similar, the physio told me it that a couple of my vertebrae had, "fused" together. Basically I hadn't been stretching enough, she released it by repeatedly wiggling the stuck vertebrae in turn. After which I was to do various exercises, which I never really got on with.

When I feel my back getting stiff these days I follow this little gem from Wii Fit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv_HUEF533Y

Works a treat.
  • jonny_trousers
    When I had something similar, the physio told me it that a couple of my vertebrae had, "fused" together. Basically I hadn't been stretching enough, she released it by repeatedly wiggling the stuck vertebrae in turn. After which I was to do various exercises, which I never really got on with.

What? Now I'm not a medical professional, but I would bet a large sum of money that it is impossible for vertebrae that have fused together to be released with a little manipulation. When vertebrae fuse together it is usually because of a congenital condition and the big, strong, spongy disc between will have had to have wasted away also (and if it had there would be no simple recovery).

It's amazing the bollocks those who should know better will tell us with regard to back pain. It's the same with the old 'slipped disc'. Discs do not slip, they are far too tough for that. They can bulge, they can rupture and they can degenerate, but they cannot slip.
  • She's actually a very good physio,able to work wonders. Perhaps fused was the wrong word, stuck was more like it. She even showed me it in the mirror, twist round as much as I could and there would be an even amount of twist between each vertebrae, except where the pain was, where the vertebrae were in line. Bit of manipulation and try again, and the stuck two were a bit freer.
  • jonny_trousers
    She's actually a very good physio,able to work wonders. Perhaps fused was the wrong word, stuck was more like it. She even showed me it in the mirror, twist round as much as I could and there would be an even amount of twist between each vertebrae, except where the pain was, where the vertebrae were in line. Bit of manipulation and try again, and the stuck two were a bit freer.

Yeah, that makes much more sense.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Whoever designed backs wants a good ******* .

Had problems most of my life, October last year my back got stuck in spasm for a number of weeks, most decent GP's will use muscle relaxants to ease the pain, mine didn't bother :?

To the OP, you have probably got a bit of wear and tear in your back (somewhere, not necessarily where the pain is) and your muscle has gone into spasm to help support it.

If the pain doesn't ease or disappear in 3 or 4 days, see your GP.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Jamey
    Think I'm gonna brave the ride home. Might have a couple of ibuprofens first.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Greg66 wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

It can feel really painful. The rib shifts out of it's "socket" (cartilage really, I think) at the back.

So, you go to an osteopath. He lies you on your back, and places his fist under you on your spine, next to the offending rib. Then (basically) he pushes down on your chest with all his weight whilst pushing up with his fist, to relocate the rib.

Kind of "OMFG WTF DID YOU JUST DO TO ME! :shock: " the first time it happens. But it works.

Jesus you are really old aren't you, everyday must be a struggle keeping your body working...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Jesus you are really old aren't you, everyday must be a struggle keeping your body working...

Yeah, but as I get older, I need fewer doctors, and more biomechanical and bioelectrical engineers.

Six million dollars doesn't go very far these days though. :cry:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    AndyManc wrote:
    Whoever designed backs wants a good ******* .
    Unintelligent design? That's the trouble with us vertebrates, walking two legged is achieved by basically bodging a quadruped, with all sorts of side effects (just ask someone who has given birth). Interestingly, in quadrupeds, the front legs tend to support the weight, and the rear legs provide propulsion, although I think we are all to far evolved away from that to try the same technique with our cycling
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition