Fitting Disc Brakes to Road Bike – Possible??

HamishD
HamishD Posts: 538
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Morning all,

OK, so I took the wrong bike out this morning and got absolutely soaked. On the way in though I had a chat with a much more sensibly attired chap on a road bike where he had fitted disc brakes and I’m thinking: would it be possible to fit a pair to mine? Would it cost the earth? Would I need specific wheels etc?

I’m running a Kinesis Racelight T with full mudguards and Ultegra wheels.

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers

H

Comments

• andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    you sure it wasnt some sort of cx bike, I know trek do some with disc brakes.

not sure if possible on normal road bike, sure it would be but can imagine it being quite costly
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Unless you have disc mounts, the answer is pretty much "no".

You need specific wheels, and mounts on the frame/forks.

When I had the Allez, I was always quite tempted to swap the forks out, and run a front disc - never quite got around to it though.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    It would probably be cheaper to buy a new bike
  • HamishD
    Ah. Thanks all . . . Not swapping the bike, it's pretty much perfect apart from wet weather braking. Think the upgrade will have to be some better pads!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    HamishD wrote:
    ... chap on a road bike where he had fitted disc brakes and I’m thinking: would it be possible to fit a pair to mine? ....

Did you ask why he'd done it?

Disc brakes have their advantages on off-road bikes, where you need lots of clearance and there's a lot of mud around. For road use the advantages are smaller and the extra weight and complexity is more significant.

What is it you want to achieve?

Cheers,
    W.
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    I've fitted a front hub brake to a road bike, if you have traditional fork no problem, aero fork you would have to find a way to secure the brake arm as Sturmey don't do such clips.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    Sounds like you want a hybrid but are too scared of admitting it openly :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Latest Boardman flat bar bikes have hydraulic discs.......but as a 'conversion' its very expensive and cheaper discs are certainly worse than good rim brakes.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    My CX bike has discs - better stopping that rim brakes plus they don't wear out your rims - I wouldn't bother going for hydraulics though - too expensive and complicated
  • HamishD
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Sounds like you want a hybrid but are too scared of admitting it openly :P

Wash your mouth out sir! :shock:

I have a perfectly serviceable winter/wet wether road bike that could do with some extra stopping power. If I can't stick discs on it, and by the sounds of things I can't due to incompatible forks/wheels, I'd rather ride more carefully/buy an MTB/buy better brake pads/plough into the back of someone than ride another hybird** . . . :twisted:

** I'm sure yours is very nice though :wink:
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    My CX bike has discs - better stopping that rim brakes plus they don't wear out your rims - I wouldn't bother going for hydraulics though - too expensive and complicated

CX implies mud to me... and I've read poor reports of cable-operated discs...

Cheers,
    W.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    KoolStop Salmons and keep your rims clean.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Eau Rouge wrote:

+1
  • HamishD
    Eau Rouge wrote:

Think this is the answer. . . . I shall purchase some of the former and do the latter!

Thanks everybody . . .
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    HamishD wrote:
    ** I'm sure yours is very nice though :wink:
    Mine is fab. And no lycra clad warrier is gonna tell me otherwise (until I buy a road bike) :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • HamishD
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    HamishD wrote:
    (until I buy a road bike) :P

You know it makes sense :wink:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279

CX implies mud to me... and I've read poor reports of cable-operated discs...

Cheers,
    W.

The avid road specific (ie work to the same pull ratio as dual pivot brakes) cable disc brakes work well. Not as much adjustment needed as the oft lamented cheap cable brakes with are utter poo.

I will be bodging some hydro brakes onto my monster crosser when i finally get around to making it.