1st commute

the_moodster
the_moodster Posts: 273
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
42.5 mins Finchley-Camden. I'm happy with that. Think I might need to find a better route tho, was held up rather by the volume of stationary traffic on my route and my desire not to end up squished!

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    How far did you go... want to do it again tomorrow??

The first time is always a bit hectic, you'll find your route with continual refinement easily enough

Log those miles :wink:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Well done.
    Clever Pun is right, the first time is usually a bit stressful, but you'll probably get faster as you get fitter and stronger and more confident too.
    Remember, you are a vehicle too. Don't hide in the gutter, the PF lives there!

What is your route? 45 minutes sounds a little lengthy for that journey, but I suppose the need to not get sweaty is a factor.

On the bright side, its uphill on the way back and there will probably be less stationary traffic, so you're free to power up those hills safe in the knowledge that if you do get sweaty you don't have to worry about being stinky in the office.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • the_moodster
    the_moodster Posts: 273
    7 miles dead some how. stuck to main roads today so i didn't get lost. i had a look at the tfl cycle planner, but i'm not sure the route is came up with will be any better!

Next bike commute (not including the peddle home) is thursday, I'm at a course tomorrow, so don't want to be turning up a wet sweaty mess :)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Clever Pun is right,

qft
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lzkp5q
    lzkp5q Posts: 9
    Lost licence 4 weeks ago due to medical reasons and started commuting 8.8miles each way ever since. The leg aches have pretty much stopped now as fitness improves. Manage it anywhere between 31 and 36 minutes depending on head wind. 1st wet ride today. Eeeeuugh. Any recommendations for keepign head dry when wearing a helmet?
    It's out there to be explored. Go do it.

Commuting: Boardman Hybrid Team
    Fun: Scott Spark 40
  • scrumpydave
    scrumpydave Posts: 143
    lzkp5q - easy way to keep your head dry is to put a shower cap on top of your helmet. Won't win any style prizes but is cheap and effective.
    Riding the Etape du Tour for Beating Bowel Cancer - click to donate http://bit.ly/P9eBbM
  • allotropic
    allotropic Posts: 33
    Well done on your first commute moodster
  • Roougers
    Roougers Posts: 36
    Funnily enough I did my first one today for a few years, slightly different, Nigg to Fearn Station, in the Highlands of Scotland.

6.5 miles in my Specialized Alize in about 35 minutes, was happy with it as I had done very little preperation etc.

Got to do the return leg in an hour or so!!

:? :? :? :?