Was there a vintage year for bikes?

ExeterSimon
ExeterSimon Posts: 830
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Was wondering this after reading the review of the Commencal on BR's front page.

The £1900 bike comes with Juicy 3s...yet when I bought a Rockhopper comp back in 2006 it came with Juicy 5s, RS Tora etc...the sort of things you now get on bikes more than twice the price.

Now I know all about fluctuating exchange rates, cost of raw materials etc affecting what we get today but was there a year when, maybe in hindsight, you really did get value for money?
Whyte 905 (2009)
Trek 1.5 (2009)
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)

Comments

• XCMark
    XCMark Posts: 55
    2008 was the last really good year for high spec bikes if I remember right, you got loads for your money. you got this for under a grand: (focus Raven)
    Frame New Alu EVG Marathon
    Fork Fox 32 F RL, 100mm
    Rear Derailleur Sram X.0
    Shift Levers Sram X.9 Trigger
    Crankset Truvativ Stylo 3.3
    Brakes Magura Louise hydraulic 180/160mm
    Handlebars Concept Extreme 600mm
    Stem Concept Extreme
    Front Hub DT-Swiss Disc FW 370
    Rear Hub DT-Swiss Disc FW 370
    Rims Alex XCR 100
    Seat Post FSA Carbon Pro Wrap 350mm
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    ID say the 09 bikes Offered as good if not better value than 08. Prices for 09 were set in mid 08 when the currency was still good.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    You're asking about vintage? The 1991 Rocky Mountain Stratos, that was one sweet bike!
    Many happy trails!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think about 2007. Lord knos how some of the budget bikes squeezed in the specs they did. It was never really going to last.
  • MrBlond
    MrBlond Posts: 161
    Showing my age, but the first Konas I had around 1989 were awesome
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    edited June 2010
    ID say the 09 bikes Offered as good if not better value than 08.

No way! S-Works bikes went up £1000 in 09, that was the start of big price rises and spec cutting.

2007/08 were the last years before the 'bubble' burst as it were.
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    I think 2006/07.

But that's just based on the spec on my Rockhopper and Stumpy then, and the previous couple of years, compared to now.

Spesh have put their prices up recently and some of them now make the bikes look like bad value for money.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    All manufacturers have, Scott are particularly guilty for it, at one point there was a Dart fork on a £700 bike, they were the preserve of £400 Hardrocks a few years ago!
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I know that my 2009 giant stp0 was the best value (even better for the sale price I paid) for spec year, 318 argyles, X9,holzfeller finishing kit but is was rare for 09 bikes to be like that.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    1887 was a good year for two reasons - first pneumatic tyre and I was much younger
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Tel39
    Tel39 Posts: 243
    Think my 08 Pitch Pro was good value looking back, the one in bronze, £1400 and £140 to spend in the Spesh shop in Chester.
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    '07 I'd guess was the last year stuff was cheap, '08 bikes went all that different in terms of RRP and spec, but they made a lot less thinking there would be a bigger decline than there was so availability was a lot less so much less chance of a decent discount on RRP.

'09 spec stuff was when people started say OMG!

Hoping 2011 will start to show a return to norm, pound is getting stronger by the day. Can't afford £2000 for a G Spot frame!!
  • psymon
    psymon Posts: 1,562
    when i worked at winstanleys in 2008 we were selling a FELT VIRTUE 1
    for £1300

it had revelations, fox can and full XT groupset including brakes and wheels. Best value bike i think i ever saw!
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i think royal are getting it right. some of the 2011 stuff is cheaper than the 2010 stuff
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    I got one of those Felts and it was fantastic value from Je James' though it had juciy 7's
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Whilst prices have gone up,trickle down technology,is beginning to compensate.
    Budget Deore stuff and cheaper RS forks being particular cases.
    Most current disc brakes offer good modulation and stopping power,frames are getting lighter too.

So while your 2010 model might have components badged Deore or SLX,I wonder if it is that much inferior to previous models......
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Around 1982 when the BMX craze was really starting to ramp up in the UK.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    isnt a rockhopper camp HT as aposed to the full sus commencial. thats one of the reasons for the drop in spec between the two
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    1993, when the Raleigh Activator 2 made all other bikes before and after obsolete at a stroke.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Northwind wrote:
    1993, when the Raleigh Activator 2 made all other bikes before and after obsolete at a stroke.

And after?? :lol:

I'm sure it was great, but on balance I think my Shocker is probably better down Fort Bill.
  • Northwind
    Then you are wrong. The Activator 2 is the ultimate bike.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    Northwind wrote:
    Then you are wrong. The Activator 2 is the ultimate bike.

can we have a pic of said bke to back up this wild claim ?
    :D
  • Northwind
    BEHOLD!

activator2.jpg
    Uncompromising extremist
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    :shock: wow , your right !
    truely the best bike ever created.
    and i was thinking of wasting several grand on a ibis mojo.

:lol::lol:
  • JustGoRide
    JustGoRide Posts: 37
    2007 was the last year before prices when up throughout the industry, mainly being caused by the weak pound.

I'm not sure that value for money = vintage year though?
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Sorry, for me it was a bike by Eagle in the 90s that started the mountainbike wheels turning for me! Wish I knew what it was called... road them on a school trip and that was the start of my financial downfall...
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Sorry, for me it was a bike by Eagle in the 90s that started the mountainbike wheels turning for me! Wish I knew what it was called... road them on a school trip and that was the start of my financial downfall...

Was it a 'Boss'? Yellow frame with massive lettering down the side of the down tube?
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Dunno, I'll start looking up old Eagle frames and see if I can see one I recognise. Rode it when I was 14 and the geometry made biking feel amazing!
    Not stopped riding since.