Cairngorm Classic 12th June

amaferanga
amaferanga Posts: 6,789
Long range forecast is good for the weekend :D
More problems but still living....

Comments

• amaferanga
    Looks like I was maybe the only forumer that did this event?

Anyway, its a great route so I'd definitely recommend it. The start up in the mountain car park would be pretty grim if the weather is bad, but this year it was damp, cloudy and cool, but the initial ~10 mile decent was okay. The finish is pretty cool - a lot of sportives seem to have an easy run in at the end so its nice to have a hard finish that you need to save something for. Its not actually that hilly a route other than the finish, only a couple of real hills so its a quick ride (compared to e.g. the Richmond 5 Dale I did a couple of weeks back). But it is a very scenic route on very quiet roads and I was impressed at how patient the few motorists I encountered were when it came to passing groups of cyclists.

Good organisation, food at the end, etc. so a good event, but the entry fee of £37 is IMO a little steep.
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    What was your time fella.

Was going to do tis but did teh northern cyclone instead.

Bet teh scenery was outstanding!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • amaferanga
    4h51m44s.

Quickest rider by 19 seconds :D:D:D

I heard that the Northern Cyclone was much tougher this year.
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    First time I have done the cyclone.
    Really enjoyed it.

Got a bronze time so ok with that but proper happy that I did the last 10 miles in 30 mins.

Well done on your time :D
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    amaferanga wrote:
    Looks like I was maybe the only forumer that did this event?

Anyway, its a great route so I'd definitely recommend it. The start up in the mountain car park would be pretty grim if the weather is bad, but this year it was damp, cloudy and cool, but the initial ~10 mile decent was okay. The finish is pretty cool - a lot of sportives seem to have an easy run in at the end so its nice to have a hard finish that you need to save something for. Its not actually that hilly a route other than the finish, only a couple of real hills so its a quick ride (compared to e.g. the Richmond 5 Dale I did a couple of weeks back). But it is a very scenic route on very quiet roads and I was impressed at how patient the few motorists I encountered were when it came to passing groups of cyclists.

Good organisation, food at the end, etc. so a good event, but the entry fee of £37 is IMO a little steep.

I did this one last year as my 2nd ever sportive and enjoyed it. Very well organised.

The weather for the first half however was wet and up at the start it was foggy so we had to descend cautiously. The first part of the climb at the end is tough.

Looking back i did 6h 24m, so your time is impressive. Well done.

If you want a really tough finish try the Radar ride.
  • amaferanga
    It was a pretty miserable start up at the mountain car park this year. Damp and cold though, not proper rain. Despite the finish I think it's actually a quick route. Very easy compared to the Richmond 5 Dale that's for sure.

I was a little disappointed with the little bowl of pasta and one hot drink at the finish though (compared to a nice big bowl of soup and unlimited tea/coffee at the end of the Bealach Mor).
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    amaferanga wrote:

I was a little disappointed with the little bowl of pasta and one hot drink at the finish though (compared to a nice big bowl of soup and unlimited tea/coffee at the end of the Bealach Mor).

It certainly is pretty measly considering the steep entry fee.

That's one area where audaxes generally score over sportives - cheap entry and lots of post event food.
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    scapaslow wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

It certainly is pretty measly considering the steep entry fee.

That's one area where audaxes generally score over sportives - cheap entry and lots of post event food.

Yep, audax every time for me