Phil Liggett CTC Challenge - August 8, 2010

STORMSY
STORMSY Posts: 13
3 major climbs for the 150KM option, just 1 climb for the 100KM.

Online or postal entries , all info on the event here:

http://tinyurl.com/32m3g5h

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    STORMSY wrote:

A few more than 3 major climbs in the 150km option methinks...

That first run across the strines has much harder climbs than Monsal, then Chunal etc out of Glossop to Chapel, then Rushup Edge out of Chapel, from Ladybower to Moscar....plus plenty of other climbs along the way.

Nice route though :)
  • nottscobb
    nottscobb Posts: 147
    Do you know what time the 150km ride is meant to start? I have signed up but can't find the start time and this would be handy to know when planning accommodation for the night before. Thanks.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    SheffSimon wrote:
    STORMSY wrote:

A few more than 3 major climbs in the 150km option methinks...

That first run across the strines has much harder climbs than Monsal, then Chunal etc out of Glossop to Chapel, then Rushup Edge out of Chapel, from Ladybower to Moscar....plus plenty of other climbs along the way.

Nice route though :)

I see they've done the sensible thing at Hayfield and got them off the busy by-pass and going up the quiet Highgate Rd instead. The very first part of it, just leaving the village, is Monsal Head steep, so will probably catch a few unawares :lol:
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    nottscobb wrote:
    Do you know what time the 150km ride is meant to start? I have signed up but can't find the start time and this would be handy to know when planning accommodation for the night before. Thanks.
    the web site says from 8pm . dosnt say the last start though.
  • sheffsimon
    tim000 wrote:
    nottscobb wrote:

8pm start.....best get lights on then :wink:
  • STORMSY
    You may find after further inspection that the start is from 8:00 a.m...
  • copper585
    copper585 Posts: 141
    hi interested in entering this however the site doesnt say if there are any feed stops? looking at doing the full mileage so does anyone know if and how many feed stops there are? thanks
  • copper585
    copper585 Posts: 141
    any know re my above question?
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Feed stops tend to be nominated cafes
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    Stop and feed when you want. This is more an audax than a sportif: you cater for yourself. Ewden Beck on the Strines is a killer of a hill. You seem to have forgotten Holme Moss Sheffsimon (difficult to forget!) and as for Winnat's, I try to forget that one...

Monsal is not so bad (pretty short if painful), Ladybower to Moscar is quite easy, albeit at the end of a very long ride....
  • sheffsimon
    Mossrider wrote:
    Stop and feed when you want. This is more an audax than a sportif: you cater for yourself. Ewden Beck on the Strines is a killer of a hill. You seem to have forgotten Holme Moss Sheffsimon (difficult to forget!) and as for Winnat's, I try to forget that one...

Monsal is not so bad (pretty short if painful), Ladybower to Moscar is quite easy, albeit at the end of a very long ride....

Just listing a few not mentioned on the website....

Winnats - horrible, up to Moscar is pretty steady, but yeah with 100 miles in the legs its gonna nip a bit :)

Anyway, it wont matter to me cos I cant be arsed to ride 100 miles. :)
  • snaffledog
    snaffledog Posts: 53
    Did this one back in 2008, fog for the first half and rain for the second.

The main climbs that i remember :-

Bradfield
    Thorpe's Brow (Strines/Ewden Beck) - 20%+ to start , nasty hairpins
    Holme Moss

(after Glossop)

Chunal Head
    Chinley Head
    Rushup Edge (Mam Nick)
    Winnats Pass - killer, especially if there is a headwind funneling down the climb
    Monsal Head - steepish 16%, but pretty short
    Moscar Lodge (A57)

All the rest in between is still lumpy/rolling, not much flat stuff. If you catch some decent weather the scenery will be fantastic. It is a 'self-led' ride so no route signage, you have to refer to route sheet. There is feed station not long after Edale i seem to recall.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    SheffSimon wrote:
    tim000 wrote:
    nottscobb wrote:

8pm start.....best get lights on then :wink:

:shock:
    ooops
  • STORMSY
    Asked CTC and they will sign post the route this year...