Wet!

nich
nich Posts: 888
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
That was a soggy and fun ride into work! :)

My brakes appeared to disappear about 3 miles in when it went from light to heavy rain, so I had to take it super slow. Heard a few squeeks on the brakes from people near me, so it's good to know it's not just me ;)

Sadly forgot to pack some spare socks, so I was scampering around the office this morning barefeet trying to find some, no luck! On the upside, I've now realise how comfy my shoes are with no socks, I might do this more often :oops:

Comments

• WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    nich wrote:

One of the five (or was it twelve) of the year?

I missed it this morning, and am now hoping for it to dry up before hometime.
  • Sitting here, soggy , waiting for the shower.

In my pannier are some lovely dry waterproofs :roll:

It looked as if it would only rain for a few minutes, so I didn't bother putting them on at the start.

Then I got so wet it didn't matter. Warm enough, too. Love it when I am so wet that it doesn't matter if I get wetter

Fun and fast. Not far off my PB! That may be due to the lack of brakes, as per nich above :shock:

Hope it dries before hometime ... bet my shoes don't!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Stuff the shoes with paper/newspaper. That should help.
  • Yep, will try that, and I'll take the insoles out. Don't expect the aircon will help. Nowhere warm to put them, so reliant on absobancy.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Wet but fun! Even did my longer commute in - 14.5 miles instead of 7.5. Only problem was that a WVM pulled accross me, forcing me to brake hard, as i passed over a drain, front wheel skidded away, but luckily I had just clipped out. Before I could give the driver a piece of my mind, lights had changed....

Lovd it!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    nich wrote:

My brakes appeared to disappear about 3 miles in when it went from light to heavy rain, so I had to take it super slow. Heard a few squeeks on the brakes from people near me, so it's good to know it's not just me ;)

Sadly forgot to pack some spare socks, so I was scampering around the office this morning barefeet trying to find some, no luck! On the upside, I've now realise how comfy my shoes are with no socks, I might do this more often :oops:

Time to invest in some Kool Stop brake pads - they ought to give more confidence in the wet, and astonishing stopping power in the dry.
  • nich
    I'm running koolstops! :) Not the 'wet' specific ones though. I might try swissstop ones, but more than likely I'll just whip out the mtb as it has disc brakes 8)
  • Specialized Needs
    Specialized Needs Posts: 802
    edited June 2010
    nich wrote:
    I'm running koolstops! :) Not the 'wet' specific ones though. I might try swissstop ones, but more than likely I'll just whip out the mtb as it has disc brakes 8)
    Ditto on the Koolstops, but mine are salmons, so supposedly good for the wet. The problem was that they weren't clearing the water/gunk off the rim fast enough. It's not that there was a lot of rain as such, more that the roads were wet and the spray/puddles kept the rims damp. I expect there'll be lots of crunchy grit in the pads now :?

Just seen the front of my t-shirt, so I may pop over to 'Rants' to have a moan about people who commute without mudguards and are too slow to pull away from me. Suppose I'll just have to get faster!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm running wet koolstops; they didn't fill me with confidence the first time I used them this morning. They did get better though.

I also have some great overshoes. I remembered they were in the shoe cupboard when I was halfway to work.

Everything is squelchy.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I arrived at the office at 07:15, just before it started raining...well pleased!
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    Stuff the shoes with paper/newspaper. That should help.
    Just discovered the hairdryer in the shower rooms. With a No 2 haircut, the existence of the dryer had completely passed me by ... until now :twisted:

Toasty dry socks (fit nicely over the end of the nozzle and don't obstruct the airflow enough to cause it to overheat - so it seems)

Warm, dry insides to the shoes :)

Stuffed with paper now to absorb any excess.
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Sold my commmuter yesterday, but I am still waiting on my Tifosi CK7 to come so had to use my lovely clean dry days only road bike today - not impressed at how much crap it can pick up on a wet day!!

But so much quicker to work - more time to surf!!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I have to say I quite enjoyed that. I left home after the rain had finished but the roads were still very wet. Put overshoes on for the first time in ages and they worked perfectly against the road spray: toasty, dry feet :)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • plonk
    plonk Posts: 37
    Quite jealous of you all. Gig tonight so no commute in for me, as carrying banjo on back is tough on drop handlebars. There's nothing like a warm wet swiiiish into work!
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    day off so missed commute, there is a glimpse of sun and im falling behind in the stats league, I think its time for me to get the bike out

only problem is I just got brand new wheels and cassette for road bike and got new fg so dont know which to take out, the rain isnt going to stay off but i want to ride my bike lol
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Saw people with brollies up as I was getting ready and when I got my paper felt how little it was raining so went sleeveless on my Gore jacket and didn't get particularly wet but the moisture showed on the glasses, 2 miles earlier I was looking at the shadows from the sun. Had a late night fettle with the RacerGuards onto the Allez which I was glad of this morning looking at the cleanliness of the bike and my shins.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Someone recommend a warm wet weather top? I need one. :cry:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    I do like cycling in the rain. Disc brakes good, on days like this.
  • nich
    I saw a chap cycling with an umbrella. That type of thing always makes me chuckle :D
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I got a little damp, it wasn't raining constant though so the wet road but no rain bits annoyed me a bit as I had my rain jacket on and was getting warmer and it wasn't stopping me getting wetter.

At the moment looking outside in the west end it's pouring out of the sky
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    A bit of drizzle character building :D
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have everything hung out in my little space I have for my bike kit, has seal skinz socks on so my feet wont notice if my shoes haven't dried, it just my shorts that take longer
  • joebatz
    joebatz Posts: 32
    Can i join the sitting at my desk in soggy socks gang.

heavy rain this morning made a rather damp ride, the sun is out here now so fingers crossed for the way home. :D
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    nich wrote:

I set off from not-so-sunny Beckenham just after 7am with only a hint of rain but had to put the waterproof top on before I got to Sydenham. Not too bad though as the rain wasn't cold !
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    purposefully didn't take any waterproof gear with me, as I know I'd have boiled. Instead I used the rain to keep me cool.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    gbsahne wrote:
    purposefully didn't take any waterproof gear with me, as I know I'd have boiled. Instead I used the rain to keep me cool.

Moi aussi :)

Fan heater and metal rail by the window made for a perfect clothes drying situation.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    Mea Culpa

Took the Mr Cruds off at the weekend

Sorry!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Paul E wrote:
    I have everything hung out in my little space ......

I stopped reading after this, and almost reported the post for perversion :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter