That 'God I love cycling' feeling.

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Do you ever lose it?

I'm not suggesting that every time I get on my bike I have an organism about doing so, but since I started riding again (just a few months back), I sometimes find myself - and usually when you would least expect it - thinking, 'God I love cycling.'

My commute home tonight inspired this post and is a prime example of what I am talking about: it was pissing it down with rain and I wasn't in danger of breaking any land speed records, yet I simply adored my entire journey. From choosing the best line to blast around the Aldwych to taking full advantage of the newly laid surface on Waterloo Bridge to get some serious speed up. From thanking the thoughtful bus driver who clearly waited for me to pass before he pulled out, to making sure that the one who paid me no attention knew that he had been in the wrong. From knowing where the potholes now lie and negotiating them properly to scalping the guy on a far superior bike to mine. From comfortably pacing myself to the chap at least fifteen years my junior (and once more being inspired to try riding fixed by the way that he came to a skidding halt at the lights in the wet when I was having to be super careful on the brakes) to absolutely adoring the responsive simplicity of my newly acquired bike. From zipping along the back roads to climbing out of the saddle and feeling as though my bike could eat up any incline I threw at it. From accepting the gracious apology of the car driver who realised he hadn't really given me enough attention when joining my road to the pathetic, unintelligible garbage some retard shouted at me from the open window of a Mk 2 Nissan Micra before he sped away. From feeling my muscles burn in the best possible way to opening my front door, soaked, out of breath and sweating, yet craving more, I simply loved my ride home tonight. Please tell me that buzz will never end?

Comments

• SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    Sounds like your in the early stages of a relationship.

The buzz changes.
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    I had the same last night. I cycled home from work (near Liverpool Street) rather late (started off at 10:45pm) and I absolutely loved my journey back to my girlfriend's in Raynes Park. Seeing a quiet London was nice.

I must admit I do love cycling in the wet
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Do you ever lose it? Well, my new job has a commute that's a few minutes longer than my old job. Which was a great relief, because I was worried I might end up somewhere with a shorter commute (is now 35 to 40 minutes).
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Struggling into a strong headwind can test my faith.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Do you ever lose it?

I'm not suggesting that every time I get on my bike I have an organism about doing so,

Are you sure that`s not an orgasm you`re not having? :?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Gussio wrote:

Just think of it as good character building!

To answer the OP I think the day I lose that feeling is the day I stop cycling forever :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • BiggerBoat
    BiggerBoat Posts: 168
    With no car or public transport and several years of commuting, yes, it wears off for sure. But on a glorious day it's still a great feeling, like being a kid again.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Every time I cycle I feel happy.
    To the point where I now aim to cycle further and further every time.
    If it's an addiction, it is one of the best kinds!
    Last night I had a rather short commute back from the train station (about 6 miles), and while it was windy and wet, I could not think of a better way of covering that distance.
    Infact, I passed someone running, and thought 'Thank God I'm on a bike!'!
  • further
    further Posts: 52
    Coming home last wednesday the bike was almost swimming through a thunderstorm, I was soaked to the skin and kennington road was flooded to the kerbs. I was buzzing with life, just loving it. And that's after 11 years of commuting in the capital :D
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Missed the rain yesterday, raining today, so took the longer route. Wasn't getting wet, overshoes keeping feet dry so just carried on.

I do get a perverse sence of joy in severe weather when commuting, from gale force winds that shut bridges, to 6" and more of snow, to thunderstorms and riding through flooded roads..... Just the thought of making good progress in traffic, getting to your destination within a minute or so of expected arrival time etc.... great.

The only time I don't like it is when the weather can't make up it's mind - rain, no rain....come on....
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Gussio wrote:

Just a hill in gaseous form.
  • macp
    macp Posts: 94
    Had a similar experience last night myself.My BSO weighs a bleedin ton and creaks and groans (soon to be replaced thankfully) but I was belting home and loved it.Beat my best time by 5 minutes too :D
  • macp
    macp Posts: 94
    El Diego wrote:
    Gussio wrote:

Excellent :lol:
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    El Diego wrote:
    Gussio wrote:

Struggling up hills, methaphorical or otherwise, has also been known to test my faith :lol:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Not lost it yet.... but have considered (some more seriously than others):

Moving house, soley to have a longer commute into work
    Invited to mates BBQ, he lives 25 miles away, cycled it and went touring after.
    Invited to wedding in Ireland, considered how to cycle there, decided it was too far.
    Have changed my Spring Challenge of Glasgow to Durness from 7 days to 5 days cycling.
    Need another bike before winter.

Gutted that my holiday of a lifetime, seeing an eclipse on Easter Island means that I will be bike free for over 2 weeks..... :shock:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"