Revenge on aggresive drivers?

2»

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    I will just add that I completely agree that the Zen approach is the better approach in general. It was just having watched the helmetcam video here of that silver van deliberately waiting for the cyclist to come alongside on the left and then swerving inwards that made me think people like that deserve retribution.

Listen to that footage at 17-19 seconds. That's the sound of the cyclist walloping the side of the van. Context (but not justification, obv) for what follows.
    AndyManc wrote:
    Get a headcam, use footage to report to the police , upload to you-tube, report to their employer, whatever most approrpriate.

Footage that shows a cyclist hitting a vehicle and then the driver driving like an ars* may not be top of the upload list, however.

Can't really agree with this. It looks to me as though he slaps his hand against the van as it is pulling very dangerously (and I suspect intentionally) into the curb. It could easily be explained as the cyclist warning the driver that he was there, not as an act of agression.

In that case, may I suggest an urgent trip to Specsavers?

Rider shouts as the van driver begins to pull out. Rider comes up the inside and taps. Driver pulls across onto the zig zags and brakes to a stop.

Although you can't really hear the first thing the driver says, it's likely to be "what's your problem?", as the cyclist says "your driving".

Pretty obvious the cyclist was trying to dispense a telling off by hitting the van. He had plenty of room on the inside until his tap-tap resulted in the driver closing the door.

Okay, I will concede. On a second look I can see how it is the cyclist who veers into the van to hit it so yes, it was a confrontational act.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Blow 'em kisses. It messes with their heads.
    Much more effective and doesn't raise your blood pressure.

Works especially well with those of the same sex :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    cyclingmev wrote:
    before you get the wrong idea, i'm usually a very calm, chilled out bird...but if wronged whilst out cycling, i become a bit hulk-esque, not in the ripping off of ones cycling kit or turning green, just the lack of anger management type stuff...not good, considering i'm only a wee girly and only have my trusty Trek as a means of escape. Don't think i ride dangerously or badly, just the drivers around this neck of the woods have probably never even seen a bike, never mind actually ridden one..so, have slapped a land rovers side as it was queuing in traffic across the cycle lane...gesticulated at contractor white van drivers (usually scaffolders, bizarrely), sworn at pedestrians stepping off pavements and into my path, almost thrown my water bottle at a car, had a confrontation with a knob of a driver who pulled out at a roundabout at me, shouted at a tractor driver who pulled out at a junction in front of me, don't even MENTION volvo or BMW drivers....i just think, one day, Karma will get 'em.....sweet..

A great 'stream of conciousness' comment 8)
    FCN = 4
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    daviesee wrote:

This approach is great, now where's my pink jersey :D

I've found a cheery comment like "I hope you don't always drive like that" said with a smile works well - even if the smile is through gritted teeth.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    daviesee wrote:

I hope your doing that whilst you slap your lycra short clad a ss that are 2 sizes too small. :roll:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • cyclingmev
    cyclingmev Posts: 105
    hmmm.....may try the 'blow 'em kisses' approach next time...though maybe not to a full van of hairy ar*ed scaffolders!!! :lol:
    i like bike
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Don't be so mean cyclingmev, h.a. scaffolders need love too :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    cyclingmev wrote:
    before you get the wrong idea, i'm usually a very calm, chilled out bird...but if wronged whilst out cycling, i become a bit hulk-esque, not in the ripping off of ones cycling kit or turning green, just the lack of anger management type stuff...not good, considering i'm only a wee girly and only have my trusty Trek as a means of escape. Don't think i ride dangerously or badly, just the drivers around this neck of the woods have probably never even seen a bike, never mind actually ridden one..so, have slapped a land rovers side as it was queuing in traffic across the cycle lane...gesticulated at contractor white van drivers (usually scaffolders, bizarrely), sworn at pedestrians stepping off pavements and into my path, almost thrown my water bottle at a car, had a confrontation with a knob of a driver who pulled out at a roundabout at me, shouted at a tractor driver who pulled out at a junction in front of me, don't even MENTION volvo or BMW drivers....i just think, one day, Karma will get 'em.....sweet..

You need to try the rant thread :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cyclingmev
    cyclingmev Posts: 105
    sorry Cafewanda ...i do quite like scaffolders....steeplejacks aint bad either..... :wink:
    i like bike
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Chill - its their ulcer/hypertension/heart attack - or reach across and lift their windscreen wiper - does no harm but totally hacks them off :wink:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    When I'm being left hooked and/or squeezed, I've left many a dent on roofs/side panels/wings from hitting them. Not to do damage, but to let the driver know they are about to kill me.
    If I had a D-lock at hand I'm sure I would have smashed windows as revenge.

In my youth I caught up to a car that pulled out on me and kicked the door in (many deep dents) and smashed the wing mirror.
    Also in my youth I was riding in the door zone (stupid, yes, but I was young and dumb) and an old granny opened the door as I approached. I had to swerve to avoid it, the car behind me had to swerve onto the other side of the road to avoid me, a car coming in the other direction had to swerve to avoid that and ended up clipping the wing mirror of a car parked on the other side of the road. I turned back and had a major go at the granny. She ended up crying and apologising profusely.
    I think that was the first time I ever swore at an adult.

I'm much more zen now (unless I see cars in ASLs, that really winds me up).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Wowsers. :shock:

CTFD, vengeful types. Take the high road, so to speak. Two wrongs don't make a what?
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Yup, think I got off lightly the other week with one of the 'use the cycle lane' brigade...I pointed out my right to use the road and he drove off. An altercation like the vid just isn't worth the risk....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    AndyManc wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

I hope your doing that whilst you slap your lycra short clad a ss that are 2 sizes too small. :roll:

It's like I'm wearing nothing at all......
    stupid_sexy_flanders.jpg
    :twisted:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    daviesee wrote:

Or alternatively, "Darling, we must stop rowing like this in public, people will talk."
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    rjsterry wrote:
    Or alternatively, "Darling, we must stop rowing like this in public, people will talk."

Sheer genius!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    This is one reason why i have my helmet camera.
    I may have a quick word with some drivers, to let them know they are a holes and they are on camera. After that i'm genreally out of there and away!
    I've had a few drivers try and punch me, and a couple try and swerve towards me. Genreally you can tell who is going to be a knob, and those are the ones to stay away from.

In relation to the question, i would never do any damange to anyone's car. They will not like it and some will seek revenge.
  • ichabod
    ichabod Posts: 78
    I'll confess to one act of revenge..

I was cycling the wrong way down a wide and empty one way street (ok bad I know) and a black cab came the other way. I squeezed to the left so as not to get in its way as I was aware I was going the wrong way. The cab obviously decided to try and teach me a lesson; he put the lights on full beam and swerved towards me to try and force me off the road. I was forced up against a parked car to avoid it so on the spur of the moment stuck my hand out and knocked off his wing mirror. A fair enough retribution I think - also very satisying :twisted: