Anyone else use Cardiotrainer on Android?

Mr Sworld
Mr Sworld Posts: 703
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
As the title. Just picked this up for free from the Marketplace.

It's a great app and very accurate. Allows you to store your routes on a web server and update it to Facebook (if that's your thing)

Comments

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I'll be taking delivery of my Desire today and Cardiotrainer is on my must-have list on AppBrain :-) No doubt it will get a thorough test (battery permitting) on the Magnificat on Sunday :-D

How have you found it on the battery BTW? I used to use Sportstracker Beta on my now busted Nokia but had to use an external GPS receiver to get any kind of decent battery life and even then anything over 3-4 hours would kill it. I'll be using the same bluetooth GPS receiver with the Desire but just hope the battery holds out a tiny bit longer!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    I use it sometimes, but I have to say I have pretty much returned to google's MyTracks
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I use Endomondo which gives decent results, but it's all dependent on the GPS signal. I'll give Cardiotainer a try as well and see which I prefer.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I mainly used Cardiotrainer for some time, but then switched to Endomondo for a bit to try it out. I much prefer the audio feedback on Cardiotrainer for running and cycling, but the maps in Endomondo are better. Other than that there isn't much in it. I'll probably be switching back to Cardiotrainer soon.

One cool feature that Endomondo has is Teams and Challenges. So you can create a team with mates and then set up a team challenge to see who can ride/run the furthest in a week for example.
  • Mr Sworld

How have you found it on the battery BTW? I used to use Sportstracker Beta on my now busted Nokia but had to use an external GPS receiver to get any kind of decent battery life and even then anything over 3-4 hours would kill it. I'll be using the same bluetooth GPS receiver with the Desire but just hope the battery holds out a tiny bit longer!!

The battery is the Desires biggest issue. I charge it every night now but it is a minature computer after all!

Have a look at the link below for a discussion on the Desire battery life and what you can do about it.

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/82192-very-bad-battery-life-htc-desire-not-fit-purpose.html
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Mr Sworld wrote:

The battery is the Desires biggest issue. I charge it every night now but it is a minature computer after all!

Have a look at the link below for a discussion on the Desire battery life and what you can do about it.

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/82192-very-bad-battery-life-htc-desire-not-fit-purpose.html

Cheers, a work colleague who got the Desire (off the back of my recommendations!) rang me earlier and said the major downfall was the battery!! On my Nokia (6220 Classic) I was turning off the 3G connection and inbuilt GPS and when running STB I always switched over from the map screen to try and minimize data useage.

Certainly some useful hints on the forum!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    I'm going to watch this thread as I'm thinking of changing my B/Berry, either for a 3GS iOhone or a dell Streak.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    I'm going to watch this thread as I'm thinking of changing my B/Berry, either for a 3GS iOhone or a dell Streak.

Nice choice although you'd need rather large pockets to carry that one around! I'm already worried about where to stash the Desire when on the bike as I'm not sure it'll fit in my saddle bag and I'm in 2 minds as to wheather I want it in a jersey pocket :-)

Still I have 3 months free insurance with accidental damage cover just in case I do have an off :?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I used to use My Tracks but it mysteriously stopped working (when I hit "Record Track" nothing happens), so I might give cardiotrainer a go.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    I would absolutely love if my Desire could read the info from the sensors, combined with Google Navigation, it would be an absolutely awesome training/navigation device.
  • notsoblue
    Re: Battery life...

I saw a roadie with one of these on his bars the other day: http://www.earthwhile.co.uk/Shop/Gadget ... oduct.html

Not sure how useful it really is but its a cool idea!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    notsoblue wrote:

I saw a roadie with one of these on his bars the other day: http://www.earthwhile.co.uk/Shop/Gadget ... oduct.html

Looks very interesting and for the sake of less then £20 with the bike mount kit it may be worth investigating - shame it doesn't specify what adapters it comes with. Phone and iPod isn't useful! Now if it said it had a USB port I'd have already clicked the "Add to Basket" button :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Mr Sworld
    Nice choice although you'd need rather large pockets to carry that one around! I'm already worried about where to stash the Desire when on the bike as I'm not sure it'll fit in my saddle bag and I'm in 2 minds as to wheather I want it in a jersey pocket :-)

How about one of these?

http://www.tunebelt.com/ab82
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Mr Sworld wrote:

How about one of these?

http://www.tunebelt.com/ab82

I had considered the arm-band type items! Of course all this new gear I'll need to store/use the new phone will need approval from the CFO first ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:

Looks very interesting and for the sake of less then £20 with the bike mount kit it may be worth investigating - shame it doesn't specify what adapters it comes with. Phone and iPod isn't useful! Now if it said it had a USB port I'd have already clicked the "Add to Basket" button :-)

Looks like it has a USB socket:

hymini_indicator_explanation.gif

I've just ordered one, thought it was worth a punt for that price :)
  • cimh
    cimh Posts: 3
    I use cardiotrainer on my desire and it works fine. the speed and map profiling seem perfect but it doesnt measure height properly (I know this because i took it sailing and it said i had climbed something like 45 meters but the sea round devon doesnt have many hills!!)

- I think this is a problem with many gps systems.

Longest I have used it on a ride was 3 hours and 31 miles and the battery was half full by the end. (But a good hour of that was spent in the pub for lunch and it automatically pauses when stationary). So I guess it could last for a 5 hour ride. not sure.

Its a great free app.

cimh
  • notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Looks like it has a USB socket:

hymini_indicator_explanation.gif

I've just ordered one, thought it was worth a punt for that price :)

Oh wow, that'd be a brilliant piece of kit for touring. Does it hold power for charging like a solar energy thingo, or does it only charge while the turbine's turning?
  • Mr Sworld
    To be honest, that is not going to charge a Android or iPhone.

They both need about 1000mA to charge properly. A little turbine will not generate enough power to keep a smart phone charging while using GPS and running Apps on them.

Also with all those open usb ports and switches it'll die in the first rain shower...
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Mr Sworld wrote:

They both need about 1000mA to charge properly. A little turbine will not generate enough power to keep a smart phone charging while using GPS and running Apps on them.

Also with all those open usb ports and switches it'll die in the first rain shower...

+1. Looks like it'd be a heap of ... rubbish.

A solar panel would be nice for touring, but it'd need to be about 300mm*300mm to generate the ~5W required. My Power Monkey Explorer doesn't quite cut it..
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Ah well.

I know nothing of these amps of which you speak.

Nice idea though!
  • notsoblue
    Mr Sworld wrote:

You charge it up prior to going out, the turbine just tops it up. Kept my HTC Hero going after 9 hours of cycling running CardioTrainer. Works fine in the rain :)