Ridgeback or Kona

macp
macp Posts: 94
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Was thinking about buying a Ridgeback Voyage then I saw the Kona Dew Drop.What a funky looking bike and its seriously put the cat amongst the pigeons.Either bike would make superb transport for my commute to work.

Does anybody have experience of either of these bikes ?

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Best bet is to try them both out. The main difference is the frame material and the ride. The Ridgeback is a steel tourer - so I imagine it will swallow up the bumps and be very stable (never ridden one).

On the other hand, the aluminium Kona's ride is very stiff (I've the Dew Plus flat-bar version) and you'll feel the potholes. The handling is very reactive though and it's really fun to ride. It's built really well, so it'll survive the commute.

So if you want a smooth, long commute, go for the Ridgeback, if you want to throw it around the traffic, stand up over the bunps etc, go with the Kona.
  • jimsam33
    jimsam33 Posts: 59
    I've got a ridgeback century and can highly recommend it.

reasonably fast lovely looking steel framed bike. 28mm tyres, mudguards, eyelets for racks should you wish.

You could put 23mm tyres should you wish in the summer (which will enable you to throw it around) and back to the 28mm in the winter (which will also give you the more comfy commute)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Been riding a steel framed Ridgeback for getting on for 20 years, still going strong. Perfect bike for a fairly short, flat commute although now my commute is a bit longer and a lot hillier I'll probably be changing to a lighter aluminium road bike soon.
  • macp
    Thanks guys

I was riding into work this morning on rain soaked country roads and thinking that I cant subject a road bike to this.I thought one of the above would be more suited.Much as I like the Voyage the Kona is really capturing my imagination.
  • macp
    I have so gotta get my new bike sorted.I got burnt off by a guy on what looked like an expensive looking MTB on road tyres on my way home this evening.He sailed past into the distance with an "alright mate".There was me clanking & sweating as I tried to keep up :roll:
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    The Kona has the same forks and drops as my Jake iirc and they're not forgiving on really rough roads so gel mitts can help a little there. The DD has what is essentially a mtb frame. The wheel hubs (one is formula and my bearings on the Jake knackered after 6 months of hard, nasty and fast riding) could be better imo.

All the negatives aside a fair few people are buying them I reckon. Best thing to do is try it out and see if its fun and sparks up your imagination. I love my Jake despite all the negatives as its just so fun to ride.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Hi,

Just saw the weight of the Voyage on this page: http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=12444&f_FullProductVersion=1&f_SupersetQRY=C440&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c018343

I know it comes with a rack and guards but over 14kg puts is heavier than the Kona (12.3kg)