Italian Pelotons

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
Any advice on riding in an Italian sportive peloton! Language skills possibly!

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Same as English just add an "a" to the end of some words and gesticulate more.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Stronzo = idiot, comes in handy at times!

When you shout "a sinistra/destra" it means " on the left/right" but it's an instruction to the rider in front to move left, not the English "I'm moving up on your left/right".
  • Hah! If this is an Italian sportive then mental is a word that comes to mind.

The start will be furiously fast - like 50kph for the first half hour. Hang on if you can. Later on, when it's work time, it was difficult to take a turn at the front - the locals seemed to want to run the bunch their way, letting a gap form after I cam to teh front. After a while another non-Italian, who had also tried to take a turn, agrreed that we just had to sit in then take the sprint. Which we did.

The Italians will be immaculately turned out and you will see quite a few couples with his 'n hers matching kit including bikes.
  • daveydave43
    daveydave43 Posts: 200
    whats the italian for go faster/keep up?
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • Italiano
    Italiano Posts: 75
    Same as English just add an "a" to the end of some words and gesticulate more.

I thought it would be an "o". :lol:
    Hah! If this is an Italian sportive then mental is a word that comes to mind.

The start will be furiously fast - like 50kph for the first half hour. Hang on if you can. Later on, when it's work time, it was difficult to take a turn at the front - the locals seemed to want to run the bunch their way, letting a gap form after I cam to teh front. After a while another non-Italian, who had also tried to take a turn, agrreed that we just had to sit in then take the sprint. Which we did.

Just out of curiosity, the sprint was for 1st place?
    whats the italian for go faster/keep up?

You can use something like "forza/dai".
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    I've ridden the GF Campagnolo, and echo all the sentiments on here.

I've never seen a start like it - people flying past left of you, right of you, they'd even go over you if they could, and there's still 200km to go!

No-one holds a line, there's very little organisation to form groups, it's mad and infectious.

Highly recommended.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    One you will hear a lot is:

"chiudi il buco" or simply "chiudi"... which is "close the gap". In Italy's granfondo, riders like to keep bunches tight.

Bear in mind that in Italian you pronounce "CH" as K and not as "C".

So to name the bike brand BIANCHI, you would say "BIANKI" and not "BIANCI" as I always hear!

Always happy to provide advice on my native language 8)
    left the forum March 2023