How long did it take you to get good cleat position?

Valy
Valy Posts: 1,321
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I've had my SPDs for a couple of months now. One the first ride with them (after the "tuning" one" was about 4 hours in the saddle and I did not have a single problem.

Then on a ride a few days alter I noticed my left knee did not seem to be going up as high/in the same way as the tight - so I adjusted the cleats and tbh have been fiddling ever since.

I've gotten a bit of knee ache after getting the bike after 3 weeks (fork was cracked, so it took ~3.6 weeks to get it all sorted) which could be partially due to the joints having had time off, but overall it just does not feel totally neutral.

What are your experiences?

Comments

• S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I've set up three sets over the last couple of years, and after the initial set-up (with the cleats loose enough to be moveable with a little force) I've not had to readjust them at all.
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    About 5 minutes.

I used the method of sitting on a table and letting your feet hang naturally. Then aligning the cleat on the shoe so it sits parallel to the pedal.

Works first time every time for me. But I may just be lucky!
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    About 5 minutes.

I used the method of sitting on a table and letting your feet hang naturally. Then aligning the cleat on the shoe so it sits parallel to the pedal.

I'd completely forgotten about that method! It was Sheldon Browns wasn't it?
  • Valy
    S_J_P wrote:
    I've set up three sets over the last couple of years, and after the initial set-up (with the cleats loose enough to be moveable with a little force) I've not had to readjust them at all.

Come to think of it, it seems like a pretty good idea. I shall tr it out soon hopefully!

About 5 minutes... pfft. :D
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    S_J_P wrote:
    About 5 minutes.

I'd completely forgotten about that method! It was Sheldon Browns wasn't it?

Not sure mate...probably was SB. A roadie told me that tip a few years ago.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    It took me about as long as it took to screw the cleats on. Time ATAC pedals you see none of that Shimano SPD fiddling about you just get them under the ball of your foot and the sideways float on the cleat means you get the right position naturally. If you have dodgy knees like me they are a godsend.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Valy
    Yeah - one other thing. I thikn it's not just about the cleat position, I think I might have one leg longer than the other.

That is what my problem may be. Either way - one foot is bigger than the other for sure.
  • Two shortish (14k) rides carrying a small allen key to let me bugger about with the cleats till it felt right.