What courier/messenger bag...?

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I want a new bag for carrying general stuff about... Travel documents and travel essentials when I'm tooing and froing, and kiddies stuff and wipes, etc, when I'm out and about with the boy.
A man bag would cover the job, but I don't see any that I like, plus they're mainly light weight stuff.
I thought a courier type bag would be more robust and provide more protection...
Any recommendations, and where's the best online retailer?

Paul

PS: Yes.... I did have a flick through the search... :wink:
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    BaileyWorks messenger bags are the best i have seen, mine is still like new after 3 years of daily use. Not cheap but the highest quality

http://www.baileyworks.com/
    <a>road</a>
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    BaileyWorks messenger bags are the best i have seen, mine is still like new after 3 years of daily use. Not cheap but the highest quality

http://www.baileyworks.com/

bit of a bugger to get hold of here, Urban Hunter do a few
    http://www.urbanhunter.biz/shop/catalogue.php?category=Messenger%20Bags%20:%20Medium

tiz a great bag though I bought a small one and it's very comfy and well designed (saying that, I'm a little unsure what 2 of the clips at the bottom do)

Crumpler are also very good.

Here's a massive list of choices
    List
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Howies Chevron.
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    rf6 wrote:
    Howies Chevron.

+1 - a great bag with good reflectives. I've had mine for 7+ years.
  • el_presidente
    Clever Pun wrote:
    (saying that, I'm a little unsure what 2 of the clips at the bottom do)

I think they are alterantive clips for the straps that seem to hold the lid on. So, if you wanted to you could shut the lid just with the velcro than strap e.g. a waterproof on the outside, and still open/close the lid.

Alternativley I don't use the chest strap unless I have a big load so keep it clipped into one of the spare clips to keep it out of the way
    <a>road</a>
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:

I think they are alterantive clips for the straps that seem to hold the lid on. So, if you wanted to you could shut the lid just with the velcro than strap e.g. a waterproof on the outside, and still open/close the lid.

Alternativley I don't use the chest strap unless I have a big load so keep it clipped into one of the spare clips to keep it out of the way

I also thought you could use the bottom clips to strap something in on the like a carrymat if you know what I mean
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • el_presidente
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

I also thought you could use the bottom clips to strap something in on the like a carrymat if you know what I mean

exactly
    <a>road</a>
  • arnosgrove
    arnosgrove Posts: 10
    Soul Boy wrote:
    rf6 wrote:
    Howies Chevron.

+1 - a great bag with good reflectives. I've had mine for 7+ years.

Another +1 here
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Timbuk2 for me, 3 years, never a problem and it takes all sort of abuse (not least me sweating on it solidly for 20 miles a day, 5 days a week)...
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    If you want lots of compartments, tool, inner tube and pump pockets etc., this Lezyne is good.

http://road.cc/content/review/12479-lezyne-messenger-caddy-bag