Mountain Bike commuting tyres?

AdamJ85
AdamJ85 Posts: 14
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I have a hardtail mountain bike that I want to use to commute into work (along a mostly smooth cycle path) and think that i need to get new tyres as the current ones are huge knobbly things that look better suited to a monster truck..

I'm new to cycling though so really don't know what I'm doing and would appreciate any tyre suggestions..

My current tyres are 26 x 2.1. I'm looking for a quick tyre, but am not too confident a cyclist yet so would also want a decent amount of grip, so there's a bit of a trade-off there. Obviously the more durable the better too!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Is the cycle path tarmac or hard packed dirt?

If it's dirt, my dad has these. He mostly rides canal towpaths etc, and says they're very good.

For tarmac, try these. 1.5" will be faster, but you'll feel the bumps more.
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    I use Schwalbe Big Apples. Various sizes to choose from, a bit heavy, but "fast rolling" (I think the expression is).
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I tend to put such tyres on my MTB as I find it a drain cycling to my favourite spots on knobbly ones.

Currently using Continental City Contact (26x1.75)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=35796

Cheap, and each tyre comes with a free inner tube.

They are fast rolling and quiet. I've used them a fair bit in the woods, on gravel paths and un-made roads, and in the wet - no problemo :)

They are mainly suited to road/cycle paths, but they are fun for the woods too ;)
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I used Conti Town and Country, my old commute was 95% canal tow path though but they rolled well enough on road too.
  • AdamJ85
    Thanks for the quick replies!

To answer Whyamihere's question - the cycle path is almost all tarmac, though hard packed dirt in a few places.

One thing that i am confused about - do I have to stick with the exact size of my current tyres (26 x 2.1)? Or will similar sizes also fit?

If similar sizes also fit then what are the advantages/disadvantages? (eg. would a slightly thinner tyre be better? Would putting the 'wrong' size tyre on increase the chance of punctures/tyre failure, etc)?

Thanks again.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I got a pair of these for very simliar commuting conditions

Maxxis High Roller DH Tyre - Dual Ply
    26 x 2.35 - MaxxPro 60a

from Chain Reaction Cycles.

Again heavy, but for me reliability was the most important thing for my commute.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Check out 26x1.5 Randonneur Vittoria tyres, used them for almost a year now on tarmac and hardpack cycle tracks.
  • whyamihere wrote:

If it's dirt, my dad has these. He mostly rides canal towpaths etc, and says they're very good.

Adam ive been running on the Halfords own make almost ident to the ones above also 1.5 way way better than my old 1.95 chunkies :lol:

I use them all year rain/sleet even snow never slipped or fell off .......................yet :wink: go for 1.5's as above pattern blooming great mate so much less leg work :D

Fisherman Joe
  • AdamJ85
    whyamihere wrote:

Adam ive been running on the Halfords own make almost ident to the ones above also 1.5 way way better than my old 1.95 chunkies :lol:

I use them all year rain/sleet even snow never slipped or fell off .......................yet :wink: go for 1.5's as above pattern blooming great mate so much less leg work :D

Fisherman Joe

Thanks, I imagine that thinner tyres are generally quite a bit quicker..?

Also, I asked about this earlier but not sure people will notice the extra question outise of my original post so will ask again:

Am I able to use tyre widths other than 2.1" even though my current tyres are 2.1? Presumably I have to choose something at least close to 2.1" for them to fit in the rim properly?

Thanks again for all the comments! :)
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    It should be fine to go thinner yes - there's some limits on the max widths that you can take though.

For example my MTB rims recommend anything between 1.00 - 2.10 (I run 1.75)

Ideally check online for your rim and see if they specify the widths - I can't see why going thinner would cause any problems though.
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    I used Conti Ultra Gator Skins over the winter. They were 26 x 1 1/8 slick tyres and were very quick and reliable. Didn't puncture once.

Now using Kenda Tomac Small Bloc 8 DTC tyres as I wanted to increase rolling resistance (Wiggle sell them). They're 26 x 1.95 and I've got them pumped up to 80 PSI. They are also very quick. I've used these both offroad and for a daily 25 mile on road commute through London.
  • ScoTTyBEEE
    ScoTTyBEEE Posts: 41
    Jeepie wrote:
    I got a pair of these for very simliar commuting conditions

Maxxis High Roller DH Tyre - Dual Ply
    26 x 2.35 - MaxxPro 60a

from Chain Reaction Cycles.

Again heavy, but for me reliability was the most important thing for my commute.

How are they commuting tyres?
  • I used schwalbe city jets on my MTB
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    Panaracer crosstown.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Panar ... 360043624/

Sidewall reflector band, puncture resistant, and can be pumped up to 70 / 80 psi for road work.
    I've cycled most of the south downs way on a set of these (though I let 'em down to 40psi for that).
  • Trev71
    Trev71 Posts: 46
    I have been using Continental Travel Contact for a couple of years now. My commute is a 50:50 mix of rods and dirt paths and they work fine for both. I've only had one puncture with them in two years and they come with a free inner tube.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Spesh Nibmus Armadillos. JE James were the cheapest online last time I bought one, at around £20 each.
  • emdeef
    emdeef Posts: 98
    I use a hardtail mtb over a mix of bridlepath (flinty and some mud) and road (some poorly surfaced). I am currently using Specialized Crossroads Armadillo 1.95 which I have found to be a good compromise. I previously used Conti Travel Contacts, also good and a bit lighter and quicker but not up to the bridlepath in winter.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... rtno=32238

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Conti ... 300003705/
  • Trev71 wrote:
    I have been using Continental Travel Contact for a couple of years now. My commute is a 50:50 mix of rods and dirt paths and they work fine for both. I've only had one puncture with them in two years and they come with a free inner tube.

+1 for these conti's

roll fast, and 1.75" means still good level of comfort
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I put Scwalbe Citi Jet 1.5 on my MTB (virtually all MTB's will take any size, so putting 1.5 on instead of your 2.1's will be fine)

I used it for all sorts of off road with these, and it was no bother at all. It loses a bit of grip in heavy mud or wet, but generally had no problems with all sorts of hard core MTB trails.

On the road they come into their own, adding 2-3 mph over knobblies.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    26x1.3 WTB Slickasaurus here, super fast rolling and nice and light......

At one point I was using a Kenda kwick semi slick MTB tryre, knobbly edges with a light diamond patterened centre that was pretty good as a compromise, now I have it for the MTB when its hard packed.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.