Northern Cyclone- anyone do it last year?

shieldsman
shieldsman Posts: 58
First timer here and was just wondering about a couple of things:

1) Feed stations. Doing the 104 mile route and was curious about food available at the official feedstations. Riding with a group who aren't likely to the first to the stations so was wondering if they ran dry last year and we might have to make our own arrangements. Also what did they supply last year- drinks and gels or more substantial fayre?

2) Times- it's going to take us all day and though we're planning to start early I was wondering if the majority of riders on the longer route are chasing times or, like us, challenging ourselves but having a bit of 'craic' along the way?

Cheers in anticipation of many helpful responses and good luck to al those setting off into the wids of Northumberland next Saturday!

Comments

• teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    I did the 64mile last year but we set off with the 104 milers. As for the feeding stations ( i can only speak for station 1 and 4) there was plenty of drinks, energy bars and banans when we got to them. Obviously i would advise you to take some of your own energy bars / gels to eat and keep you going between feed stations.

We are doing the 104mile this year and we wont be setting any records and will be happy just to finish. Its a great day,
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • This is also my 1st time of doing the Cyclone, and also my first time of attempting the 100 miler.

I think it would be wise for you to stock up with your own gels, bars and drinks pre-ride and use the feed stations as a fall back.

Really looking forward to Satruday, looking to get an early start and bang up for a good day out. Not looking to set any records, will be happy just to complete and meet some new people along the way....although a good time would be nice.

I had a drive of the route last night and the climbs are not so bad (except Ryal) just plenty of rolling roads, one thing I would recommend from my recce is if the weather is bad take some warmer clothing as it is mighty exposed up by the Cheviots.

Hears to a good day for all
  • shieldsman wrote:
    First timer here and was just wondering about a couple of things:

1) Feed stations. Doing the 104 mile route and was curious about food available at the official feedstations. Riding with a group who aren't likely to the first to the stations so was wondering if they ran dry last year and we might have to make our own arrangements. Also what did they supply last year- drinks and gels or more substantial fayre?

2) Times- it's going to take us all day and though we're planning to start early I was wondering if the majority of riders on the longer route are chasing times or, like us, challenging ourselves but having a bit of 'craic' along the way?

Cheers in anticipation of many helpful responses and good luck to al those setting off into the wids of Northumberland next Saturday!
    The feed stations will have water, SIS drinks, Geobars and Bananas. Feed station 1 (Forestburngate) & 2 (Bilsmoor) are in open (and exposed) countryside but within 2-3 mils of civilisation where ther are good cafes. Feed sations 3 & 4 are both in villages where food will be available if the feed stations run dry.
    The weather is not looking to be too warm and it can be pretty exposed up in the Cheviots so please be prepared - skin suites not advised.
  • shieldsman
    shieldsman Posts: 58
    Thanks Peter.

Also, I know how much hard work goes into organising something like the Cyclone so 'thanks' for that as well!!

Tony
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I had a drive of the route last night and the climbs are not so bad (except Ryal) just plenty of rolling roads, one thing I would recommend from my recce is if the weather is bad take some warmer clothing as it is mighty exposed up by the Cheviots.

That's the saddest thing I've heard all day! I think if I drove a sportive route the day before, I doubt I could be bothered to do the ride! You're missing out on the pleasure of rounding a corner and seeing an unexpected cliff infront of you.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf, understand what your saying reference the "joy of the unexpected", however as I mentionned in the same post, its my first sportive, and my first attempt at 100 miles so I felt being prepared was the best option.

Guess its the Cub Scout in me!
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Anyone got an accurate forecast for saturday....................if there is anything like an accurate forecast?? :D
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • Dickie.F.M
    Dickie.F.M Posts: 27
    the only forecast i've seen is the bbc and met office websites. Much the same max 17'C with 10mph NNW wind, with no rain on Friday so dry roads.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Ignore the BBC weather, it's crap at forecasting.

try:

http://www.metcheck.com/

It's much more accurate...I don't know how coz it uses the same data :shock:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Feed stations are good, the one 10 miles from the end is good for filling up with post ride snacks (you really shouldn't need it to get to the finish!).

It is one of the easier sportives. I'm riding a standard double this year as found the compact was unnecessary last year (unlike a lot of sportives).

The 5hr 30 min gold standard indicates how rolling a lot of it is, definitely try and stay with groups, if you can hang in there and power up the short hills to stay with them, you're sorted.

Ryalls onwards it's all downhill.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson