How do you put on "dry" oil onto the chain

danielsbrewer
danielsbrewer Posts: 123
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I decided to switch over to dry lube (Weldtite TF2 Plus Dry Lube equivalent of finish line) for the summer and today I put it on for the first time. I found that compared to the wet lube it was extremely runny and difficult to get onto the chain.

How do you get it on the chain so that it is evenly spread without pouring most of it on the floor?

Anything else I should do differently? For example should I leave it on for some time before I wipe off the excess?

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Shake the bottle well and use a delicate application. One drop per link - if you slide the nozzle over the link with minimal squeezing it is possible to get a drop on the link with no spillage. That said, I am banned from applying White Lightening indoors....
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Also, don't do it at 6am in the middle of a campsite in Scotland, even in May. You end up with big white blobs of wax all over your chain!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    I prop the bike up, rotate the cranks backwards and apply the dry lube to the chain with the nozzle touching the chain as it goes over the cassette - seems to minimise spillage on the garage floor.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    First you find some water.. :wink: