Sastre to the Tour

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited June 2010 in Pro race
Sponsor want star rider to take part in biggest event shocker.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100607/sp ... respsastre?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    LOL, now that's news
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Probably regretting not riding a bike between the last Tour de France and February. No base miles before the season... what was he thinking?
  • KillerMetre
    KillerMetre Posts: 199
    How is 8th place after very little racing in the build up to the giro is a disastrous result?
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    How is 8th place after very little racing in the build up to the giro is a disastrous result?

hardly disastrous but given the route should have suited him and he wasn't remotely competitive in the high mountains at the sharp end of the race...

Was he properly going for the Giro? Strikes me he'd have had far better chance with that than another TDF at 35
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Probably regretting not riding a bike between the last Tour de France and February. No base miles before the season... what was he thinking?
    Jan Ulrich perhaps
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917

And wasn't he riding the Giro with a back injury too, as well as Evans riding it with a temperature of 38.5?

And apparantly Evans was told not to ride but he went ahead.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I thought he was riding the Giro in perparation for the Tour.
    Does Sastre mean that he was riding at full gas? I thought he was riding in the same way as Wiggins; for training? :?
    I must admit that this could be a load of old tosh as this press release takes the pressure off him for the Tour.
    Sastre is a canny lad as on some mountain stages he hangs off the back of the leading group looking doggo and then he pops up at the finish after overtaking most of the leading group. Cheeky monkey.
    I'm not so sure about this one.

Cheers Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • sampras38
    jerry3571 wrote:
    I thought he was riding the Giro in perparation for the Tour.
    Does Sastre mean that he was riding at full gas? I thought he was riding in the same way as Wiggins; for training? :?
    I must admit that this could be a load of old tosh as this press release takes the pressure off him for the Tour.
    Sastre is a canny lad as on some mountain stages he hangs off the back of the leading group looking doggo and then he pops up at the finish after overtaking most of the leading group. Cheeky monkey.
    I'm not so sure about this one.

Cheers Jerry

Sastre said in a post giro interview he was riding injured.
  • iainf72
    The reason this is news is because Sastre wasn't sure about doing the Tour. He was considering only riding the Giro and the Vuelta.

But Cervelo have put pay to that idea.

He was riding the Giro for the overall.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The Cervelo team concept seems to be that you don't need to win, just to try. So Sastre just has to feature a bit in the race and the bosses are happy, plus 15 minutes of fame in the Tour is worth a lifetime of Vuelta success.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Cervelo should have stuck with the Green Jersey and had a Team for that only leaving Carlos dreaming of Yellow.
    If he was injured he would've been better off going home and preparing for the Tour properly and then look to the Vuelta.
    I guess his main aim was being fresh for the Vuelta being his home Tour and also the arrival of Basso again is a problem for the Tour.
    I still think Basso is still not doping as he was when he was previously caught. He was super fast before his positive and now not quite up to speed. The Tour should be interesting!

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Sastre seemed to be riding for the overall, but just didn't have the legs. Surely he wouldn't have turned himself inside out on the Zoncolan/Mortorilo if he was using the Giro for training. He would've cruised home in the autobus like Wiggins.

I don't see Sastre challenging for the win at the Tour, but a Top 10 on GC and a stage win would be a fine return for him and the team.

The batte for the Green Jersey is likely to be the most interesting element of the Tour this year, given the dull parcours.
  • sampras38
    Sastre did lose quite a lot of time when he hit the deck and damaged his back the day after the ITT where he lost 37 seconds, then he got caught behind another crash the next day and lost 46. Then another crash and finally bonking in the closing 10km losing more than 5 minutes. All that before the usual hard 3rd week and he didn't have a chance.

You never know, he may do something in France if he can keep out of trouble.
  • pedro118118
    He didn't look in great shape - but he kept on trying.

I don't see him as a threat overall at the Tour, but if he can avoid similar bad luck, he'll be in the lead group in the mountains, but I don't see him troubling Bertie or Shleck (A). He'll most likely be fighting it out with the likes of Evans, Basso, Menchov, Nibali, Shleck (F), Wiggo et al.
  • sampras38

I don't see him as a threat overall at the Tour, but if he can avoid similar bad luck, he'll be in the lead group in the mountains, but I don't see him troubling Bertie or Shleck (A). He'll most likely be fighting it out with the likes of Evans, Basso, Menchov, Nibali, Shleck (F), Wiggo et al.

If he was on song I still couldn't see him getting higher than 3rd overall..if that. Still, this year looks to be an exciting one.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    sampras38 wrote:

If he was on song I still couldn't see him getting higher than 3rd overall..if that. Still, this year looks to be an exciting one.

Exciting? I hope so, but I gear we may be relying upon cobble-related offs or Andy's knee for anything other than squabbling over the last podium place.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I thought you said Satre, I thought blimey the tours gone up Market this year
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pedro118118
    Schleck has shown even less form than Sastre so far this year and what with his knee, I can't see anything other than "the Bertie show". Weirdly, I'm rather less excited about this year's Tour than recent years - the routes have become rather boring compared to the Giro, especially.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Appears he could well not be.
    “Of course we are hoping that Carlos can ride the Tour de France, but his health is still our first priority,” explained the team's general manager Joop Alberda. “For a three-week Tour, a rider must be in top shape and we will definitively take no risk on the health of the athlete. We have to wait for the green light from our medical staff.”

They need Sastre in the Vuelta lineup to get an entry. He has ridden three GTs before so sure he is capable although I thought he said he only wanted to do 2 from now on.

Hopefully he wont do the Tour and can challenge for the Vuelta overall.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72