What Oakleys?

londonbairn
londonbairn Posts: 316
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
What Oakleys should I get?

M Frame? Jawbones? Radar?

I have a £50 for sunglasses shop that needs to be used 8)

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    M frame with polarising lens.... I got there eventually, but there are none better!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    if i wasnt blind i would have some jawbones
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I quite like the Jawbones, but I'd like them with some sort of photochromic lenses so I don't have to swap to different glasses in darker conditions.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Radars*. Mine arrived today. They are the nuts.

I don't like the frames on the jawbones. One of the reasons i got radars was to avoid the frames hindering my peripheral vision. The other was the hydrophobic coating on the lens.

* Sorry, just had to post so you had one recommendation for each ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have some half jackets and they work better than the a wires I had before, more coverage and less wind down the sides of my nose into my eyes, just need to get a set of different lenses for lower light
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got prescription Ttransition Flak Jackets. They rock; and make me look like a proper cyclist.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Crosshairs. Not for riding though, just posing. I love mine (vogue)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Radars for me...
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Flak Jacket with prescription black iridium polarised lenses. Pricey but awesome, bought for me by my girlfriend! :D
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I would go for the M-Frames; but can't afford them so have a pair of DHB glasses that have prooved excellent value 8)
  • JonEdwards
    JonEdwards Posts: 452
    Jawbones with vented G30 lenses here. (although black iridiums are better for letching in :wink: ). Good for pretty much any weather, and don't steam up easily.

Transitions/photochromic take too long to change - 4 or 5 minutes, which is pointless for MTBing (what I use them for),

Jawbones are arguably the most wearable off the bike, unless you like looking like a cricket player
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    JonEdwards wrote:
    Jawbones are arguably the most wearable off the bike, unless you like looking like a cricket player

Really? I would have said the opposite.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    . Got to say M-frames are probably the best for sport, but look pretty odd when in your casuals, I went for Flaks.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    JonEdwards wrote:
    Transitions/photochromic take too long to change - 4 or 5 minutes

Darn. The transition is almost instant in the Tyler Farrar TV ad. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • itssam
    itssam Posts: 31
    I went with the half jackets (XLJs) so I can wear with them off the bike as well... been pretty happy with them so far, just need some clear / orange lenses really
  • Paul E
    itssam wrote:
    I went with the half jackets (XLJs) so I can wear with them off the bike as well... been pretty happy with them so far, just need some clear / orange lenses really

Same here, not sure which ones to go for though as I do both road and mtb, more road these days though as I only tend to mtb in scotland
  • +1 for Half Jackets
    On my second pair, since my brother's dog thought the first set tasted nice! :x
    Try Steptoes online shop for Oakleys, plenty of bargains.
  • bracketed
    bracketed Posts: 55
    ++ again for Half Jacket XLJ. Great on and off the bike, light as a feather, can steam up when stopped but clear very quickly once moving again, best specs I've ever worn.
    White Condor Italia 2011
    FCN 3
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    bracketed wrote:
    ++ again for Half Jacket XLJ. Great on and off the bike, light as a feather, can steam up when stopped but clear very quickly once moving again, best specs I've ever worn.

+1 to that - my experience too - I just wish they would do some vented halfjacket lenses
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Used to wear half-jackets but moved to M-frames as I got the same offer as the OP. M-frame lenses are also cheaper to pick up on e-bay than half jackets! :D
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    edited June 2010
    I got the half-jackets on the same deal mate and so far so good. I had hoped the persimmon lenses would be good for night riding, but they feel weird to me. I bought a set of clear lenses just today, but it chucked it down tonight so didn't get the chance to try them out fully.

PS. as a bonus, I got my 17 quid back for complaining about the delivery time delay.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    FWIW, I use Bolle Viper safety glasses. Clear lenses for night-time, smoked for sunny days (but yellow lenses are also available). They come with a neck strap and rarely slip down my nose, much less than my normal glasses do. Not so good for off the bike though, they just don't look cool enough.
    I half-inched a few from work so I have spares in case of scratches/drops. I like the idea that they are designed to protect the eyes from impact as I once got clocked in the face by a big stone thrown up by the wheels of a 4x4.
    No frame (so no obstruction to peripheral vision), wrap around lenses (good protection from the wind), anti-scratch and anti-mist lenses and the arms are adjustable for reach and angle.

I highly recommend them.

I used to wear Oakleys (can't remember what they are called) but the frame was too thick and put me off any framed glasses for cycling.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    As 100% bike glasses I would choose my Jawbones. For wearing off the bike as well, my Half-jackets or Valves.
  • gb2gw
    gb2gw Posts: 81
    I used Half Jacket XLJs happily for mountain biking for years but when I started commuting, I found my eyes became really dry. I tried hubby's M Frames and that extra bit of coverage seemed to really make a difference, so I've now swapped to Radars with a vented black iridium lens and they're spot on. Don't steam up, keep my eyes nice and protected and (if I do say so myself) look a bit coo-well. I always thought that the Half Jackets with anything other than a dark lens in gave me a bit of the appearance of the Two Ronnies :D
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Thanks guys, I am still so unsure! Eyeing up the Radar Paths, but not sure on lenses!

These look ok

http://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/uk-sun ... d/2113.htm

http://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/uk-sun ... c/3369.htm

Was hoping not to spend too much....
  • gb2gw
    gb2gw Posts: 81
    I went for the big @ss Range lenses for maximum coverage, but if you're wanting the Path, there's other places that do those combos cheaper....

http://www.jamesandjames.com/oakley/pro ... 09-670.htm

http://www.directsunglasses.co.uk/oakle ... glass.html
  • Paul E
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    FWIW, I use Bolle Viper safety glasses. Clear lenses for night-time, smoked for sunny days (but yellow lenses are also available). They come with a neck strap and rarely slip down my nose, much less than my normal glasses do. Not so good for off the bike though, they just don't look cool enough.
    I half-inched a few from work so I have spares in case of scratches/drops. I like the idea that they are designed to protect the eyes from impact as I once got clocked in the face by a big stone thrown up by the wheels of a 4x4.
    No frame (so no obstruction to peripheral vision), wrap around lenses (good protection from the wind), anti-scratch and anti-mist lenses and the arms are adjustable for reach and angle.

I highly recommend them.

I used to wear Oakleys (can't remember what they are called) but the frame was too thick and put me off any framed glasses for cycling.

I have some for wet weather stuff at the moment as my half jackets havent got clear lenses yet, very comfy, forget they are on at times and don't fog up for me.

That said my half jackets don't have a frame on the bottom half so not put off by a frame in my peripheral vision with them on.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I know cost/VFM is relative, but ~£6, the Bolle Vipers are worth a look as cycling specific glasses. Try ebay or Amazon.

I use my Oakleys when I'm not on the bike.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Paul E
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I know cost/VFM is relative, but ~£6, the Bolle Vipers are worth a look as cycling specific glasses. Try ebay or Amazon.

I use my Oakleys when I'm not on the bike.

I agree completely, don't look half bad either and I din't get gritty eyes like I had when I rode once with just my normal classes on.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    As many others above, I've been very impressed with Half-Jacket XLJs. Great on and off the bikes.

So much cheaper if you can get them in the States (or get someone to bring you some back).