Flamin' snake bites!!

JimmerG
JimmerG Posts: 143
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Forgive me if this has been done to death...!

I switched to full suspension recently - and consequently started descending a LOT quicker that I used too, and started suffering pinch punctures more frequently.

Of course I could pump my tyres up like concrete - but we know the drawbacks of that. I've looked into getting a Stans tubless conversion kit - and it just sound like a bit of faff, I really don't need 'burping' tyres and dripping gunk.

Are there any other products around? Or should I just not hit rocks so hard, or learn to ride smoother... I've been on hard tails for 15 years and ride reasonable smoothly anyway.

The tyres are Bontrager Jones XR, 26x2.2/2.25; 30 tpi - do these have particularly thin side walls... would a tyre with thicker walls help?

What are the gunk filled inner tubes like - apart from heavy...!

Any pearls of wisdom?

Thanks

J

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Tubeless is the way forward, it doesn't need to be a faff. What rims have you got? If they're Bontrager you can convert them pretty easily, and almost certainly use your existing tyres.

Alternative is to run higher pressures/ride more smoothly, but there are obvious drawbacks to both. I'd be looking at tubeless.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    njee20 wrote:
    I'd be looking at tubeless.

I got more pinch punctures tubeless than tubed. Maybe I was unlucky.

Try thicker downhill type inner tubes?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    bails87 wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    I'd be looking at tubeless.

I got more pinch punctures tubeless than tubed. Maybe I was unlucky.

Try thicker downhill type inner tubes?

I thought that the pinch punctures were in the tubes when they are compressed to the rim.
    So how can you get pinch flats on tubeless, i thought that was the part of the point of tubeless.

Please correct me if im wrong :oops:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yes that's the 'traditional' definition of a pinch puncture. But I ended up pinching the tyres between the ground and the rim, and the tyre split.

With a tube you'd just patch the hole. But with tubeless they wouldn't seal so I had to take off the tyre, pour away the sealant, take out the rim strip and replace it with a tube. And then if there's any thorns that have punctured the tyre but have been 'sealed', they puncture the tube as soon as you inflate it :wink:

If you've got tubeless ready rims and tyres then I'd give it a go. It's worth it for the cost of valves and sealant.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    What psi? I run at 40, and find it all good

*awaits wrath of puncture gods*
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    Bails87

Ah i see, well that's interesting, i was thinking of doing the whole ghetto tubeless thing but might just wait until i can get some wheels.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sensible PSI is the way forward. I have a love/hate thing going on with tubeless.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    ^^ this is sensible.

Generally, if you're getting pinch flats add 5 more psi to the tyre.

Repeat until you're fine!

Tubeless is another kettle of fish, if you want to try it do, but it isn't a solution to your problem.