Couple of questions

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
1. Did a triathlon a week ago and my legs havent been the same since. they just feel empty. any ideas?

2. i keep getting stitches whilst riding? any ideas how to stop this or whats causing it?

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    spasypaddy wrote:
    1. Did a triathlon a week ago and my legs havent been the same since. they just feel empty. any ideas?
    Did you pick up somebody else's legs after the event by mistake? :lol: :roll:

2. i keep getting stitches whilst riding? any ideas how to stop this or whats causing it?

Stop riding?

Hope this has been of help to you
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spasypaddy
    wow over 90 people view and only one post and even that is a sympathy post
    :lol:
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    You mean they just feel dead, I know when to ease off when I am walking up stairs and they feel heavy, you been eating well and getting enough sleep??
  • spasypaddy
    yep i eat alot and healthy stuff. dont eat crap. and i sleep at least 7 hours a night. normally more.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    edited June 2010
    I had this drained legs feeling after a marathon. I didn't know what fixed the problem, but I think I was missing some micronutrient or something. So I just ate a lot more fruit, veg, nuts, chillis and stuff like that and I did feel better. This could be bollox but I never actually got to the bottom of it. I'd back off the training mate for a while and focus on hydration, wide variety of food and lots of sleep.

Cheers

J

P.S. ABSOLUTELY LOVING MY SPEEDPLAYS. Was going to test them a bit more before posting, but thought you'd like to know :D
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    A whey protein drink after the event? It helps for me.
  • spasypaddy
    Jeepie wrote:
    I had this drained legs feeling after a marathon. I didn't know what fixed the problem, but I think I was missing some micronutrient or something. So I just ate a lot more fruit, veg, nuts, chillis and stuff like that and I did feel better. This could be bollox but I never actually got to the bottom of it. I'd back off the training mate for a while and focus on hydration, wide variety of food and lots of sleep.

Cheers

J

P.S. ABSOLUTELY LOVING MY SPEEDPLAYS. Was going to test them a bit more before posting, but thought you'd like to know :D
    i eat a very balanced and well thought out diet, but i shall up the fruit and veg. how long did it take for your legs to come back right?

did i recommend you the speedplays, i cant remember. I definitely would have if you'd asked me
    Gussio wrote:
    A whey protein drink after the event? It helps for me.
    I did do that...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    For the stitches you need to look at your posture and your breathing. As you are tired you probably aren't maintaining proper posture to breath correctly. You need to work on your core.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • spasypaddy
    its not when im tired though and i had a cycle fit a month ago and the stitches have only started coming since i had the fitting.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i eat a very balanced and well thought out diet

There's your problem.... kebab, burger and a big plate of hot wings has always worked better for me.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    spasypaddy wrote:
    its not when im tired though and i had a cycle fit a month ago and the stitches have only started coming since i had the fitting.
    Yeah, you're now using different muscles to maintain posture. Work on your core, stretch those diaphragm ligaments (which are the cause of stitches, I believe)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Took me about a month to recover from the marathon... the only time I've felt my legs totally drained. yeah -update the fruit and veg and go big on natural foods... this is what I did as that's what I was craving. After a month or so I was fine again and have been since....

[Aside - You didn't directly recommend the speedplays, but commented on them when I asked for help with fitting. Now all fitted and I'm going to post back when I've tested them a bit more and nailed the float etc... Also interested to see how long a cleat lasts etc... I sometimes people post very early when testing gear, so wanted to test them in the long term. Amazingly positive about 'em so far!]
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Have you rested properly since the event?
  • spasypaddy
    biondino when you say properly, do you mean a few days without any exercise at all? if so then no as its a choice between a 15min commute by bike or a 60min commute by bus
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Hydration and salts, lack of these leads to feeling tired and drained.

As far as stitches go, I've only had these during running but the accepted wisdom in those days before the 4 min. mile was just to run through them so it could be a short lived muscular thing - how long does it take before the stitch goes?
  • spasypaddy
    the stitch lasts a long while. if it happens when running i stop to a walk and let it pass it doesnt pass when cycling
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    For 'stitch' definition see :- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/health_ ... 275830.stm

Which may give ways of alleviating or avoiding the problem.