Fixed Gear Project COMPLETED

SkidMerckx
SkidMerckx Posts: 72
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi Guy's I'd just like to share my latest project with you; the donor bike was the first bike I ever bought myself (a BSA “The Prima”) in 1979. It was made by Raleigh, but may have been built in the Carlton Factory in Worksop before it closed down.

BSA.jpg

The frame is a 3 tube 531 and had relatively new cotter-less cranks and 12 gears! It served me well for around 6 years before I gave it to my brother in law. Having acquired it from his garage where it has been languishing for some time,

IMG_3648.jpg

I decided to convert it to fixed gear and have just got it back from powder coating (The colour is RAL7006).

IMG_3652.jpg

This was done by Windridge Coating ( www.windridge.co.uk/content.php/410) as they were able to fill in the dents in the frame before powder coating (something other powder coaters told me couldn’t be done?).

IMG_3653.jpg

Anyhow, I got the frame back today and it is great (Dale at Windridge even re-tapped the BB after coating), so I just wanted to share it with you all............

IMG_3655.jpg

The finnished bike (I'm sooo pleased with it!)

111.jpg

122.jpg

118.jpg

115.jpg

121.jpg

Comments

• DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    Looks very smart :) Quite like that colour. Must look even nicer in the flesh!

What components are you planning for this build?
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    DevUK wrote:
    Looks very smart :) Quite like that colour. Must look even nicer in the flesh!

Indeed it does look smart. Did the coaters do the decals as well? Looks very similar to a mid-80s 'BSA' (re-badged Raleigh) that was my Dad's, then mine, now hanging in my parent's garage. When I have nothing else to do (booked in for 2018), I was thinking of refurbishing it, either as a SS, or geared. Too many ideas, not enough time or money.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    Nice, but did you mean RAL7005?
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • SkidMerckx
    Hi DevUK,

The colour is Beige Grey RAL 7006.

Building up the bike with the original crank and Weinmann sidepulls brakes, an Open Pro Track wheel (2nd hand so not sure of the hub make), drop bars with Charge Brown Tape and Saddle.

Will run on 42T Front and 16T rear cogs. Never ridden a Fixed Wheel before, but it should be a laugh!

Will post the finished bike as soon as.

Thanks for the interest.
  • SkidMerckx
    Hi Los Pingunos II,

I bought the decals from VeloSolo (who supplied the rear cog, brake levers and cables, plus lots of useful sundries items like Chainring Bolts and cog spacers etc.) and applied them myself, thought it broke up the one colour finish nicely?
  • SkidMerckx
    Hi Stickman,

Don't know why I put the wrong RAL No. down!

Clearly you know your RAL No.s and were nearly right, it's RAL7006
  • rjsterry
    stickman wrote:

[anorak]There's no way that's 7005 (Mouse grey).[/anorak]

EDIT: Who's Los Pinguino... Oh. Time for a new avatar methinks. That was just an amusing shop sign I spotted on holiday.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• SkidMerckx
    Sorry rjsterry!
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    rjsterry wrote:
    stickman wrote:

[anorak]There's no way that's 7005 (Mouse grey).[/anorak]

EDIT: Who's Los Pinguino... Oh. Time for a new avatar methinks. That was just an amusing shop sign I spotted on holiday.

Yes, I thought it looked like 7006 but maybe SkidMerckx had accidently written it backwards and the photo reproduction had shown it differently :)
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • rjsterry
    SkidMerckx wrote:
    Sorry rjsterry!

Now that I look at it, it is a bit random.

Do keep us updated on the build.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Orleandrew
    Orleandrew Posts: 61
    Wow, stooping to a new level of bike geekery with paint code spotting?! :lol: