Silly Commuter Cravings

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
So, some of my recent cravings include:

Things I've gone off of now (thankfully):

Fried chicken (bones n'all).

Those pillow sized ring dougnuts with the white icing you get from independent sandwich shops (several times when my local had sold out I'd walk forlornly around looking for another supplier).

Baked beans (HP, whole can).

And my new cravings?

Tonic water or bitter lemon. I actually just went out in the rain to the local shops to get some after my ride today; I tried to resist but couldn't. Seriously considering finding an artery to inject it into, can't get enough of the stuff.

Marmite. About a quarter of a litre of the stuff on anything to hand that'll take it (crumpets, bagels, pieces of cardboard).

Entire packets of polos or other strong mints eaten in one go.

Is my body clever enough to know it needs these things, or am I just being greedy?

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Peanut butter. Until a couple of months ago when I bought it for a recipe I didn't even know I liked it. Now a couple of crackers and peanut butter is a regular part of my diet.

Pringles. Once you pop, you can't stop.

And pretty much any other food that would be considered unhealthy.
  • prj45
    suzyb wrote:
    Peanut butter. Until a couple of months ago when I bought it for a recipe I didn't even know I liked it. Now a couple of crackers and peanut butter is a regular part of my diet.

Heh, occasionally I do the peanut butter, can get through half a jar on two bits of toast though.

BTW, do you put those fluffy dice on your bars whenever you're out for a ride?
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    Beef jerky, Just suddenly and very randomly love the stuff. :?
  • prj45
    DaveHudson wrote:
    Beef jerky, Just suddenly and very randomly love the stuff. :?

Ah, you'd be wanting to take a trip down Putney way then, Biltong heaven:

http://bit.ly/9uGDZU

http://bit.ly/9UgDuG
  • suzyb
    prj45 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Heh, occasionally I do the peanut butter, can get through half a jar on two bits of toast though.

Huh?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    French bread. Olive oil. Balsamic vinegar.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    prj45 wrote:

Ahhh... i remember the days when i needed to put peanut butter on something. I'm lucky if a jar lasts more than a couple of days at my place. Jar + Spoon and i'm happy.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • prj45
    suzyb wrote:
    prj45 wrote:
    Huh?

You signature pic. Looks like those dice are waiting there to adorn the bike.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    I've been on a peanut butter on toast craving for he last 6 months, it crazyness the jars are like an anti-tardis, they empty so fast!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    I've had a strange hankering for mustard recently. Normally I can't stand it, or I have the mildest but now, if it's not making my eyes water and robbing me of speech, there's not enough.
  • suzyb
    prj45 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    prj45 wrote:
    Huh?

You signature pic. Looks like those dice are waiting there to adorn the bike.
    Ah right.

Yeah and I'm going to paint some go faster stripes on it as well.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    i was craving a subway breakfast sub this morning. I'm not anymore though *mops crumbs up and drools*
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    suzyb wrote:

We should meet :D We could have a "no... that's MY tube of pringles!!!" fight :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    gert_lush wrote:
    I've been on a peanut butter on toast craving for he last 6 months, it crazyness the jars are like an anti-tardis, they empty so fast!

The only way to control it is to limit yourself to buying one jar every two weeks (you need to be strict with yourself),. That way, you have to make it last.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Anything I can get my hands on really, although normally I get cravings for cheese but that has gone away largely, anything savory though and it's gone if put in front of me.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Recent cravings have been:

Angel cake
    Lucozade original
    Walkers crisps - plain

Now it's canned Guinness, regular or draft. I'm blaming the cycle challenge :)
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Some very cheap Midget Gems from the local offy. Cornflakes, every time, all day, oh god I can't get enough of them! I used to hate tomatos now I can#t stop eating them either, along with a cucumber and a boiled egg.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Fig rolls, reeses peanut butter cups, crunchy nut cornflakes, cans of monster crap basically.

I generally get through a packet of fig rolls a week at least.

Also mixing peanut butter and chocolate spread is a cheap and easy way to satisfy a peanut butter cup craving the biggest spoon you can get in your mouth is the correct one.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • bobgale67
    bobgale67 Posts: 10
    Jaffa cakes, one pack lasts minutes, if its lucky!
    Loafmaster extraordinaire!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I used to love peanut butter until I discovered how to make cashew butter and pistachio nut butter.

Gonna have to make some soon now.

Back on topic, post ride bottles of Cherry Coke. And | usually hate Coke.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    prawny wrote:
    Fig rolls, reeses peanut butter cups, crunchy nut cornflakes, cans of monster crap basically.

I generally get through a packet of fig rolls a week at least.

Also mixing peanut butter and chocolate spread is a cheap and easy way to satisfy a peanut butter cup craving the biggest spoon you can get in your mouth is the correct one.

a pack of biscuits last a week, god im lucky if they last 5 mins with a nice brew

got cravings for full fat coke and flapjack lately, blackfairs flapjack from holland and barret are bloody lovely
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    andy83 wrote:
    ...flapjack lately, blackfairs flapjack from holland and barret are bloody lovely

Flapjack Fiends should check out Sainsbury's Granola Slices.... Oats, dried fruit...yummy.

In Store bakery in packets of four.

Cheers,
    W.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    andy83 wrote:
    ...flapjack lately, blackfairs flapjack from holland and barret are bloody lovely

Flapjack Fiends should check out Sainsbury's Granola Slices.... Oats, dried fruit...yummy.

In Store bakery in packets of four.

Cheers,
    W.

why o why have you told me about these??

I shop in sainsburys all the time :(
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I used to love peanut butter until I discovered how to make cashew butter and pistachio nut butter.

oh dear sweet Jebus!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    @Davis, its lovely. Highly addictive though.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!