Stans rims/Tubeless tires

Andy
Andy Posts: 8,207
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Maybe a stupid question but am I right in assuming I can run UST tires on Stans Olympic rims without any problems?

Comments

• stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Your assumption is correct, or tubeless ready tyres.
  • Andy
    Cheers Stu
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    From what I have read it can vary depending on manufactures and tyres. I'll probably try standard tyres and convert them to tubeless on my Olympics - works out lighter. I have had good results doing this with UST rims.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Except on ZTR Race/Podium rims where they'll be too tight.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Have a read on the Just Riding Along website. They've tried out a few of the rims and stated how well they worked with normal and UST tyres. Some rims require only the yellow tape while others may require a rim tape.
  • Andy
    jairaj wrote:
    Have a read on the Just Riding Along website. They've tried out a few of the rims and stated how well they worked with normal and UST tyres. Some rims require only the yellow tape while others may require a rim tape.

Olympic rims like it states in the OP.
  • Andy
    njee20 wrote:
    Except on ZTR Race/Podium rims where they'll be too tight.

I'm not using Race or Podium rims.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I realise that, I was just clarifying that it's not the case for all Stan's rims. Could probably have added that!
  • Andy
    OK no worries :)
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    I run Olympic rims and have found non-tubeless Schwalbe tyres have worked very well with only yellow tape - used Nobby Nic 2.25, RaRa 2.1 and Dirty Dan 2.0
  • Andy
    That wasnt my question.
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    Sorry for trying to help.

Surely you can clearly deduce that if non-UST tyres work well tubeless with Olympic rims then UST's will.

The original question is pretty vague - what brand of tyre? with rim strip or yellow tape?

Olympic rims don't work well with some brands of tyre regardless of whether they are UST, Tubeless ready or normal varieties - Stans Notubes website lists which ones to avoid.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Out of all the tyres I've used tubeless (all UST/Tubeless ready), Schwalbe were by far the worst, PITA to seat correctly and the only tyres I've run tubeless that had multiple punctures (even though they all sealed). Spesh 2bliss have been the best so far, considerably lighter than std UST's and go on first time without any issues.