Cheap Old or Cheap New?

rieko
rieko Posts: 121
edited June 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone, Im new to these forums so hello to all :D

I used to Mountain Bike a lot when I was younger, between the ages or 10 to 18. As I got older things as always things got in the way (work, family etc). Recently i picked it up again and Ive taking out my old Hardrock on the local trails. Im getting more and more into it, and the confidence is coming back so im thinking of maybe getting a new (old) bike as my current bike is way too small for me now.

I like the Specialized range, but they are a bit expensive, especially as id like a lighter bike than my current one. So i was thinking of maybe buying a second hand 5-10 year old bike with a decent lightweight frame and components. Something like an old Rockhopper or a Cannondale M700 or M1000, something that was worth a few quid in its day? And with a few mods and adjustments I could have a half decent lightweight bike. Or would the method of buying a new £300 - £400 entry level bike be more advisable?
Giant TCR
Giant TCX

Comments

• Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    On the whole - the bike technology has been tramping along at quite some pace over the past decade. The typical parts found on high end bikes 10 years ago can be found on budget bikes now - hydrualic brakes for example start appearing on even sub £500 bikes now.

If you go seondhand I'd say keep it under 3years old, the wear shouldn't be too bad hopefully and the technolgy/depreciation should hopefully be ok.

But really a good £500 bike nowadays (the likes of boardman spring to mind) really are producing fantastic bikes, it will be new, warrantied, you'll get a free first service etc etc. (chances are a secondhand bike for £400 will need parts sooner or later and probably a good service to boot).
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    have you tried getting one on the cycle to work scheme ?
  • sophsoph
    sophsoph Posts: 24
    Tom Barton wrote:
    On the whole - the bike technology has been tramping along at quite some pace over the past decade. The typical parts found on high end bikes 10 years ago can be found on budget bikes now - hydrualic brakes for example start appearing on even sub £500 bikes now.

If you go seondhand I'd say keep it under 3years old, the wear shouldn't be too bad hopefully and the technolgy/depreciation should hopefully be ok.

But really a good £500 bike nowadays (the likes of boardman spring to mind) really are producing fantastic bikes, it will be new, warrantied, you'll get a free first service etc etc. (chances are a secondhand bike for £400 will need parts sooner or later and probably a good service to boot).

Yeah it is the same with guitars these days you can get amazing results and quality out of bikes around £500-700 :) good luck on your search!