Advice on saddles? or riding position?

tom34
tom34 Posts: 24
edited June 2010 in MTB beginners
Hey guys been riding a while now and i'm starting to do more prolonged climbs as i get fitter and better.

Problem is now the perineum area is very sore! I've got the saddle level and in the right fore-aft position.

Thing is when i climb and slide forwards there's alot of pressure in this area. If i move back i don't get the right position for efficient climbing from the legs.

Can someone please recommend the most comfortable saddle for all day riding? I like all mountain riding so i need to be able to climb and move back behind the saddle on descents.

Thanks guys

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Perhaps the saddle is too high and you are causing friction by moving across the top of the saddle.

Try not to stay in the same position for too long, you shouldn't need to be right on the nose of the saddle for most of the climb, only for the very steep sections.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Most saddles (except very cheap crappy ones) are designed to relieve the stress and pressure on the perineum.

So as Andrew said you may need you revisit your positioning and look at your technique for climbing.

But for a decent saddle I can recommend the Fizik Gobi.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Most saddles (except very cheap crappy ones) are designed to relieve the stress and pressure on the perineum.

So as Andrew said you may need you revisit your positioning and look at your technique for climbing.

But for a decent saddle I can recommend the Fizik Gobi.

And if you don't want to to spend a ludicrous amount, try a Charge Spoon, £20 and never heard a bad thing about them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rammer
    rammer Posts: 252
    I agree with the charge spoon comment, I ride with one on my FS and love it and so does my Perineum.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    edited June 2010
    saddles are personal so you'll probably go through a few before you find what suits you. the spoon is a place to start as are the WTB saddles, most of the ones mentioned on the forums will have their own fans.

as for your current situation I'd angle the saddle nose down a touch. On a steep climb you're generally at the the front of the nose, head over the bars anyway, get the nose angle too high - and you'll be in pain ;) .........too low and you'll be sliding off and it'll be useless, so there is a sweet spot to be had. Try altering the saddle on the rails forward and back too while you're dipping the nose, experiment is key. you'll also find your technique alters with a better positioned saddle. I use back, middle and front of the saddle during a ride.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    dp
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    I had a ride on my mates bike with a charge spoon saddle on: Firm. Not a criticism, more an observation, this is only in reference to my saddle which is a cheap 'bargain bin' one. He has be raving about it tho. Maybe its worth the investment?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • crohnoes
    crohnoes Posts: 21
    i ride on a charge spoon.... but i also ride with 4 layers, two being padded! so it's pretty comfortable down there.
  • cooldad
    Padding is not really important, shape is.
    Or we'd all just use chunky gel seatcovers.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    My son who has a Spoon on one bike reckons the WTB Rocket V Comp on his other is even better. £15 from Winstanley
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools