PBs

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited June 2010 in Amateur race
I normally find self promotion and overt celebration a bit distasteful, but b*****s to that after today's 25 TT result! Having had more or less a year of last year for domestic reasons, and only really starting training in any kind of earnest in March I didn't expect much this year - indeed some of my buddies have improved massively this year, one in particularly by a huge margin about 3 minutes or so on a 25 and smashing his target of a sub hour 5 about a month ago.

I haven't set a particularly high target this year, but engaged the services of a local coach and decided that a sub hour ride was feasible by an event in August. Imagine my amusement when I discovered that my mate who has suddenly improved by 3 minutes or so and is doing 57s was off a minute after me. I knew he would die trying to catch me and I would do the same to avoid being caught, but sensible money was on being caught before the turn at 15 miles, given that my life time best is 59-6 and my LTS was 59-59 on the same course over a year ago.

So I get to the bottom of the bank on the fabled R25/3L, having what I think is sensibly free-wheeled the last section because its so fast anyway, and saves a bit of energy (apparently Hutch did this too) and no sign of him yet; legs feel, well ok ish. Time to dig in down the D/C for the next 10 miles to the turn into a moderate head/crosswind, don't have a speedo, but realise I am pushing at least one gear higher than I thought I might be. Several agonising deaths later, still no sign at the turn of my "behind" minute man so assume he has punctured. The first 5 miles after the turn and the tailwind is stronger than expected, crikey, there is even a stretch of about 3 miles in the 53x11 on the flat, hmm maybe this feels ok after all!

3 miles from the finish, and frankly my nuts have already beaten me to that line, and I have to shuffle around, stand up for a fleeting second to get some life back into my nether regions, glance round, no sign of him still - he MUST have punctured.

Past the finish, no idea of the time as I have no working computer on the bike, so gently wind back up the bank to the HQ. Mate eventually catches me up - "ride of your life" he says, "only seconds in it" He did, he thinks a long 56.....I personally think his Garmin has gone awol.
Several minutes later, there is indeed only seconds in it, he a 56-55 a PB for him by 45s or so, and me a 56-56...1s behind him.
I still cannot quite believe it, I secretly hoped I might sneak under the hour, just; but I have smashed my PB. It just proves that despite however much science or analysis you apply to bike racing, sometimes it just is not predictable, and for that reason alone its bloody great fun! Woo hoo! Yeah, a 56, against all odds... :D OK now the real racing starts!

Apologies, excessive endzone celebration over, and yes I know that a 56 is hardly shattering on that course, but it is for me, and that's half the fun of it all.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Float day :roll:

Only kidding Steve, that's fantastic - Chapeau! 8)
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Sod it, Steve... That's a superb result, and so out of the blue, too... I'd self promote, too...
    Well done, that man :wink:
    If I were to get a result like that, I'd be posting it everywhere...

EDIT:
    That race description was so good, you should have posted there, too ('Race Report Thread', that is).
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    I'd be shouting from the rooftops aswell.

Superb effort!
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Well done Steve! You did indeed smash it :)

I got my PB on the H version of that course and it definitely felt good, despite the advantage I knew the bank gave you.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Thanks for the comments. I have thought about it, and concluded that its all about bike position and training in it. Like a light bulb going on, I can now see the benefits of using your TT bike on a turbo trainer for the intervals sessions.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Steve, that is an important part of the equation. Keep training on it and you'll break the hour on just about any course, any time.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Well done Steve, cracking result on not a perfect day from what I hear from a club mate. My PB last year was on the H version as well, interestingly on the same day Jeff went sub 50 min :wink:

As for training, I do all my turbo stuff on the TT bike in the TT position, as well as quite a few road rides, I think it helps a massive amount.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Pah cheats course, that's why I've never ridden it :wink:

Only because I'd feel even worse getting a slow time on the country's fastest course and my PB would be too slow to get in anyway :wink: Well done, that's a great time. Abergavenny RC have a 25 this Thursday on the Pandy - Raglan course (R25/16?) if you fancy being brought back down to earth - horrible course, weather forecast is quite breezy. Club champs but I won't be doing it I doubt as there's not enough hours of daylight for me to finish and I'll have spent 8 hours driving in work :(
  • Pross wrote:
    Pah cheats course, that's why I've never ridden it :wink:

Only because I'd feel even worse getting a slow time on the country's fastest course and my PB would be too slow to get in anyway :wink: Well done, that's a great time. Abergavenny RC have a 25 this Thursday on the Pandy - Raglan course (R25/16?) if you fancy being brought back down to earth - horrible course, weather forecast is quite breezy. Club champs but I won't be doing it I doubt as there's not enough hours of daylight for me to finish and I'll have spent 8 hours driving in work :(

Agreed, I think the same too, hence the time on its own is not that meaningful, but I was 3mins faster on the same course compared to last April, plus I was 1s behind my buddy who did a 57-44 on the 25/7. Ergo, I'd expect top be doing a sub 58 on a "normal" DC course! I am 53rd out of 109 finishers, normally id be in teh bottom 3rd so I'm still pleased with it.

Did a club 10 course lifetime PB tonight so something's happening right..
  • Pross
    Doing something right mate, my own PB is a 1.03.16 on the R25/7 (roadbike with clip ons years ago). Once I'm fit again I'd like to try the 3L as it's the only way I'll beat the hour!
  • Mr Ross, where were you this evening for the Abergavenny 10? Some fast times tonight despite the howling gale for the last 2 miles! Great to see over 30 riders out again for an evening club event, this year I reckon numbers are up by at least 25% on most club events I've ridden. We have had 10 new members this year alone which is a lot for a small club like ours.
  • Pross
    Hi Steve I was there riding 7. Were you 17? Passed me on the ride back from the finish. I managed to knock 2 minutes 30 off my first comeback ride, still only 28.42 but given the wind and the amount I knocked off I'm very happy. Was a great turn out, probably the most i've seen. Did you do a 22?
  • Pross
    I've seen loads of Pooler riders around lately, good to see. Maybe thw new kit has helped ;-)
  • Pross wrote:
    Hi Steve I was there riding 7. Were you 17? Passed me on the ride back from the finish. I managed to knock 2 minutes 30 off my first comeback ride, still only 28.42 but given the wind and the amount I knocked off I'm very happy. Was a great turn out, probably the most i've seen. Did you do a 22?

Oops I didnt see you. No I was number 20. Did a 22:43 which is a lifetime PB for me. Wasn't it great to see so man riders out though. Thought it was very hard for the last couple fo miles up to the finish where the wind really hit you. Well done on your time, its always great to see an improvement.
  • Pross
    That was a great time, the wind all the way back was a killer but up the last drag and down to the finish was really hard. My minute man caught me at the top of the last drag and just gave me the impetus to keep going then on the descent to the finish I managed to go up a gear and get back past him. Your club mate seemed pleased when he was given a 21.50 :lol:
  • Yes, I think timekeeper error there!
    I didn't realise it was your club 10 champs - good turnout. you're right about pooler riders, our membership has almost doubled this year, and all the new members bar a couple are regular racers.